or Connect

Posts by dave s

Working musician, (aging rock star, more like it!) playing guitar and singing in a hippie 60s show band.  We only play during festival season, spring - fall.  Great gig.  Really enjoy it.  Funny, people will pay me to play guitar and sing but nobody has yet to step up on the pay to play GOLF yet!   Photography: Started out about 7 years ago with DSLR shooting high-school sports.  Big fun.  Enjoyed it.  Now, I take the camera on vacations, (especially GOLF vacations) to...
 Good idea and I'm THIS close to recommending it.  Nobody publicly voices any objection to the behavior, except her husband (my buddy).  My wife is pretty level-headed and says, 'that's just her and what she does.'  Doesn't seem to bother my wife too much, I guess.  Maybe it's just me who has the idea that the behavior is way obnoxious. dave
 How long?  Pretty much since she's been able to.  iPhone plus Facebook = she's been doing it since acquiring the two ingredients.  My only consoling opinion is that she's here, the rest of her family (4 sisters and a brother) are located in other states.  She is the family 'glue,' if you know what I'm saying.  This is her way of keeping her family up to the minute on what she's doing.  I'm in the same situation with my family, but I'm sure they don't care what beer I...
Since this is the 'social thread' this might apply.   I have a best bud whose wife is a facebook junkie.  We met said couple and several other friends and acquaintances for dinner this past Saturday night.  The 'facebooking' begins with a picture of her first glass of wine, then a facebook post about the brand and how good it is.  It goes from there to butting other people out of the way to get pics of people arriving to the event and posts that to facebook.  During...
My dad was a part-time teaching pro when I was a little kid.  My sister decides she wants to learn how to play.  My dad had taught exactly ZERO women how to swing a golf club.  After 2 lessons my sister gives up.  About 10 years later she marries a guy who is an avid golfer.  He hooked her up with a former LPGA professional, (you'd recognize the name) who had my sister beating the tar out of my brother in law on the course after about 2 seasons of lessons.   Context, I...
Par 3 #12 on my home course.    This hole plays nearly 190 from the back (black) tees.  We play blue tees and the hole plays from 162 - 175 sometimes.  What makes this hole one of the most difficult (from actual scores to par) are a few things:   1. Hole setup is a series of of tee boxes followed by a forced carry over a ravine all the way to the green.   2.  Very old, large hardwood trees block of the left third of the green.  If you are a right to left player, the...
Let's see ... I'm a real creature of habit.  Bordering on OCD to a large degree.   Start each round with 2 brand new, white balls. Titleist or Taylormade ok, but only those two brands.  If I have both when the round completes, I'll card mid-80s.  If they're both gone, the card says 90+.   Start each round with 4 tees, one ball repair tool and a quarter in my right pocket.  Finish round with at least 2 tees, the repair tool and the quarter.   Use only white...
If you go to the Vokey website, they have a section where you can input data about the types of courses you play and it returns wedge grinds that probably make sense for the course types you play.   That's what I did.  Ended up buying a 54-8 and a 58-10 ... don't remember the name of the grind but can tell you they work better than I was expecting! Probably because they were the last of the square-groove models ... but don't tell anyone I'm still using them!   dave
I'll say this for sure, SOME people flat out LEARN differently than others. Maybe the teaching style isn't sinking in with you.  You really can't see visually the swing changes that a teacher is asking you to make. They can push your arms around and bend you this way and that, but you really can't SEE it.   You'll hear some people claim the swing is more about 'feel' than mechanical.  A couple of things I've helped beginners with include:  The first time they hit down on...
 4 hybrid was my 'longest option' before my 5- or 3-wood.  Not enough room inside a large pine tree for those clubs.  Also, longest iron in the bag anymore is a 6-iron which would have launched higher and into the tree branches.  Agree with you however that a 3-iron is also a really good choice for keeping the ball down and popping it out of the kind of trouble I found inside the very large pine trees. dave