or Connect

Posts by dave s

A test BEFORE you can play?  No way.  Who wants to be instantly banned from an activity that needs MORE players disparately?   The idea of a handbook is a good one!  I've always advocated courses providing free ball repair tools with a 'how-to' diagram sitting next to the container of repair tools.   People not knowing the rules, playing badly or otherwise doesn't hack me off anywhere near as much as me having to fix 10 ball marks, (and that's just a FEW of them!) on...
My dad was a teaching professional.  What he'd say (whether exaggerated or not) was, '90% of the problems people have hitting a golf ball is a result of bad setup.'   My game/swing doesn't go that far off the tracks anymore.  When my wife can't hit the ball solidly, we go back to the basics of:  Feet shoulder width; feet, knees, hips and shoulders square; forward-tilt from the hips; ball in middle of stance; weight a bit on left side; swing club.  After 2-3 swings, she's...
 The post read not ALL and not 'not at all' as you read it. dave
Not all, but I suspect a lot of bending of rules, maybe taking 'gimmes' on greens and taking liberties with long drives that might need more than a couple feet of leeway to be playable.   Was in a shotgun scramble a couple of summers ago.  We end up the 2nd 4-some off a par-4 hole.  The #1 group on our hole was a group of guys who didn't get a ball in play more than 140 off the tee box.  They also took 3 shots to get a ball on that particular green.  They had a long putt...
Any FedEx Office location has the reusable shipping boxes for golf clubs.  Obviously, you have to buy the box and pay shipping both ways.  Here's what the wife and I do:   The FedEx golf club box is 12 x 12 x 48" long.  It easily holds a cart bag filled with 14 clubs with room to spare.  We put everything ELSE we need for a 3-4 day golf vacation inside the box as well.  This includes (mine) all my golf clothes, shoes, tennis shoes, flip-flops, clothes that I'll be...
Guys:  GREAT stories and all well-told.  I wasn't laughing a bit when I wrote the original post.  Still a bit miffed over Sunday's final hole melt-down.   I just got home from a family deal and I'm sitting here eating a bowl of cereal reading your posts.  Got to Jim260's story at Bethpage and laughed so hard that milk squirted out of my nose!  "My round went downhill from there."  Hahaha!   Guess it happens to all of us.  Not fun when you're in the middle of such a bad...
Sunday afternoon, the par-5 #18 at Raintree in Green, OH near Canton-Akron airport.   No. 18 has a split fairway divided by a 15-20 yards wide creek / water hazard down the middle.  I haven't found the value of playing the upper (right) fairway after playing the course many times.  Bombed one to my usual spot on the left fairway but it ballooned up and was pushed into the hazard by the wind..   Dropped out 2 and hit my third into a bunker on the upper fairway which is...
5 hours 30 minutes.  It was an excruciating round.  Had it not been a perfect early fall day on a beautiful course with great scenery and changing fall colors, I would have driven off the course and asked for a rain check of some denomination.  We teed off at 2pm and paired up with the couple in front of us to finis 18 in near darkness.   Longest round of my life.  Won't likely ever play in that slow a condition ever again.  Waiting just adds stress to an activity that...
I won't tell you WHAT to get, but I'll let you know which clubs my wife wore out during her first 5 seasons of playing seriously:   Driver, #5 hybrid; 7-SW, putter.  It took about 5 seasons for her to really get a feel for 'this club goes this far' and develop any consistency.   Last season, I bit the bullet taking her to a quality club fitter.  She hit several brands of clubs with the results shown on a track man or whatever.  This was really nice to see in terms of...
Retailers usually stock Iron sets that come with 8 clubs.  The 'normal' set configuration used to be 3-PW, leaving the buyer to add a gap, SW and a lob wedge to fill out the short end of the set.   Moving forward a bit, the new config seems to be 4-PW plus a GW but not a SW or LW.  Some may even start at 5-iron anymore, but not many that I've seen.   While shopping for my most recent iron set, I only wanted 6-iron through AW, or GW.  I also only wanted to pay for SIX...