or Connect

Posts by dave s

There are golf courses across the US that offer 6- and 12-hole 'loops' for players who don't have 4 hours to play an entire round.   We'll see if this 'catches on' anywhere.   dave
The 'reality' of weekend golf is 4:00 or more.  I've played either Saturday or Sunday the past 6 weeks with 3 other guys.  We didn't finish a single round in under 4:00 hours.  All but one round was right about the 4:30 mark.  We also teed off at varying times from 7:20, (the earliest) and 10:20 (just this past Sunday) being the latest.  No correlation between earlier = faster or later = slower.   Other factors:  No tee time was 'backed up' from our scheduled time;  No...
Three schools of thought on the matter of 'giving opponents putts' during league rounds.   1. Last night the guy I'm playing has a 7 footer for triple-bogey.  I'm already in with a bogie.  I ask, 'John, what is that putt for?'  He says 7, I say pick it up.  Let's not add insult to injury and let's be honest here; giving a guy that putt for triple is not going to drop his hdcp by 3 strokes.   2. Same thing happened to me as the OP.  Opponent has a treacherous 3-4 foot...
I don't know what you're looking for in a golf ball but I did recently find a new-near Callaway Super Soft while looking for my partner's ball.  Decided to hit it a few times.  My observation is that it's REALLY soft.  It almost makes no noise when you hit it.  Around the greens it felt like I was chipping and putting with a rubberized ball and not a golf ball.   For me, it's the softest feeling ball I've ever struck with with a club.  WAY too soft for my taste.   dave
Take this with a grain of salt and full dose of YMMV:   I just went through a driver fitting and bought a new Ping G30 2 weeks ago.  I know my swing speed is pretty slow so I asked the guy about the possible benefits of a light/senior (or whatever they call them as to not offend guys in their mid-50s like me!) shaft option.  He stated that if my swing speed was low-70s or lower, he might have recommended it.  My 'all-out' swings during the fitting were mid-80s down to...
Nice buy!  As far as a bag, I'm really liking the 14-slot bag I'm using.  I never did like the 6-way only with clubs clacking together all the time.   Also keep in mind, you might be paying for golf until 'dad' gets back on his feet after that massive purchase!!!  Hope he plays well with the new sticks.   dave
 Good score!  And yet another perfect example of 'it's always something!'  Thanks for the pep talk.  It's getting better.  Just not all the way there yet.  I do feel one of those 'career rounds' coming this season.  Hope you get one as well.  Also, I just plunked down the *choke* money for a Ping G30 driver.  Good hits are netting about 25 yards farther than my few years old TM Stage II adjustable driver.  I hit some shorter irons into holes yesterday than I've ever hit. ...
I too am skeptical of the distance posted by some in this thread.   My first true distance reality check came at Firestone CC years ago.  Great drive off the first tee, sitting just inside the 150 yard maker to middle of green.  Pull 7-iron and smoke it.  Ball comes up short by about 10 yards.  Best guess is that I hit it 135.  Host of our group (member at Firestone) says, "the yardages markers are painfully accurate here; might want to take one more club on your...
...and the saga of the bogey golfer continues.    I've worked on my short-game extensively the past 5 seasons.  I have good wedges, apparently know how to use them, and get the ball close to the pin on chips and pitches. I made a goal this year of getting the short shots around the green all the way to the hole.  Holed out a handful so far this year.  Hitting the stick happens regularly, too.   Here's the latest sore spot:  During Sunday's round, I put 6 chips and...
Some good info at the Titlest Vokey wedge site to help determine what wedge bounce and grind to consider based on the conditions you play in.  For me, I went with the "M Grind" wedges from Vokey.  They seem to work great from everywhere.  Using them off tight fairways, from rough round the greens, from the 'crew cut' areas very near greens.   I've realized that the 'grind' is more important the the bounce number.  As info, I play up north where the ground can be soft and...