or Connect

Posts by dave s

4 hybrid was my 'longest option' before my 5- or 3-wood.  Not enough room inside a large pine tree for those clubs.  Also, longest iron in the bag anymore is a 6-iron which would have launched higher and into the tree branches.  Agree with you however that a 3-iron is also a really good choice for keeping the ball down and popping it out of the kind of trouble I found inside the very large pine trees. dave 
Fingers crossed.  It's Tuesday.  Sunday forecast shows mostly sunny, 66 degrees with very light winds.  Problem is in NE Ohio, Sunday's forecast could change to snow between now and then.   I'll make the call on Saturday and schedule something for us if Sunday still looks promising.  Running out of golf days this year!   dave
Unlike the thread starter, I like to keep my hands as close together and compact as possible when gripping the putter.   I use what I think would be called a double-overlapping grip.  The pinky and ring finger of my right hand overlap the left hand and rest between ring and middle finger and middle and index fingers of my left hand.  The compact, double overlapping grip helps me to swing the putter like a pendulum and straight back and straight through.   Putting is...
A good 'trouble shot' to have in your bag:   Played a course twice recently that has a lot of mature pine trees lining fairways.  The northern kind, not like the southern yellow pines we see in the Carolinas.  The course definitely does NOT cut any of the lower limbs off, either.  This means the lower branches grow down to and lay on the ground for the most part.  Twice in two rounds I found myself INSIDE the lower branches of pine trees, ball lying on pine needles and...
Pikapp23 hit on some good points.  MOST of the time, people don't see the big picture when reading a putt.  The big picture (to me) is looking left and right of you a LONG way when behind a putt.  Is the 'lay of the land' sloping one way or the other?  Is what is 200-400 yards in front of you going up or downhill?  This is useful to me when I see very little break. What my eyes see in the 'big picture'' usually happens on the green.   Another idea:  On putts longer than...
Here's a thought for us bogey golfers to ponder:   Would you rather hit the ball solidly all round and not shoot a good score, or HACK your way from tee to green all day and card an 87 because you got some breaks like holing a couple of long putts, maybe skulling a chip that hits the stick and stops a foot from the cup?   I had a nice round Sunday afternoon where I hit the ball great all day but rarely made a putt, and good shots (for me, anyway) ended up in not so...
When your snag that last spot on golfnow, especially if it's an early time on a weekend, you'll almost certainly be paired up with the other 3.  Not a bad deal at all.  I did it two weekends ago.  It was only 2 of us, though.  We had a great time and neither of us had to play alone.   What my wife and I do:  She's a 6th year player and still not keen on playing with others.  We'll grab that 2-spot time on golfnow and show up an hour early and get out ahead of the other...
7400 yards are you kidding me?  HS kids?  Our HS kids in NE Ohio play courses that are below or WELL below 6400 yards as the norm.  Even the state tournaments are held at Ohio State's Scarlet and Gray course but no way from the back tees.  Many of the Ohio District Golf tournaments for juniors are held in Akron at a place that plays 6200.   If your guy hits it 210 off the tees, I can't imagine he can reach most of the par-4s in two or many of the par-5s in three on a...
From a Golf Digest Mag article, and I'll paraphrase:  The reason golf is losing favor is any one or more of the following three factors:   1.  The game is too hard 2.  It takes too much time 3.  It costs too much   dave
I'm left-handed (but play RH golf) and my brain works differently than most.  You'd look at my club layout in my bag (same config as your new bag) and probably say WTF?   That said, I've found a 'snake' pattern started from top left puts the clubs in decent order according to usage.  Club lineup in bag looks like this:   L  >>>>  R   Driver, 3-wood, 5 wood   R >>>> L   4h, 5h, 6i, 7i   L >>>> R   8, 9, PW, AW   R >>>> L   54*W, Putter, 58* W   Granted,...