or Connect

Posts by dave s

I think he's physically not healthy and hasn't been for years.  I mean he always looks cut and muscular, but I believe his body has just broken down from injury and working out too hard for 15 or so straight years.   He's had the broken leg, knees, back problem, wrist problems, glutes that won't activate ... and probably other injuries I can't remember.  And working to rehab injuries takes a long time.  Much of which means taking time OFF from rigorous...
Sunday, June 28.  Hole #9 (played back nine first) plays ~390 from blue tees.  Because of a 'moat' and rock paver wall in front of green, it's always a layup hole for me. Hit driver to about 170, layed up with a 9 iron leaving 58 yards to a middle far left pin.   Left my approach shot well right to have a good angle to left pin position.  Pulled the 58 degree wedge and opened it up just a bit.  Hit a very high straight one that landed directly in the cup for THREE. ...
My weeknight league partner plays Ping driver, fairway woods and #3 hybrid.  He hits 'em a mile.  Congrats on the new sticks.    Now, back to your loss, (sorry that happened) due to theft.  For the first time EVER I saw a permanently posted sign as I approached the bag drop area of a privately owned, open to the public course last Saturday.  The sign said something like, Not Responsible for Theft of Personal Property.   Add up the $$ of everything in your bag.  Mine...
 I didn't read the entire article, but probably got the gist of it in the first 2-3 paragraphs.  The guy writing is correct.  Especially for girls.  Here's a couple of supporting examples: Watch you local newspaper or websites for girls HS golf scores this fall.  You'll see that each school posts 5 scores for a match.  You'll also see that the scores can range from low 40s to high 60s for the girls who played a match.   Secondly, a guy on my golf league recruits high...
Here's what I've seen lately and what I think about the state of golf 2015:   It's more of an 'activity' for many.  I've seen a lot more beginners on the course the past couple of years.  They don't grab 7:10 tee times on Saturday morning, they play at 1:00 in the afternoon Saturday or Sunday.  Great. I like seeing new players.   Two weeks ago, a group of 3 women and 2 men (all playing) let us play through.  They were throwing back pops and having a great time.  More...
Free and FWIW advice on rounding out your set.   The person who linked the 'pre-owned' sets is a great way to go.  A buddy bought pre-owned and I'm telling you they just as easily could have been brand new.  Very little wear and they looked and performed perfectly.   Back to the set:   You have a new driver.  Great.  Add a fairway wood (5-wood maybe?) a hybrid #3 or 4 and buy an iron set (as shown on the pre-owned websites) 5-PW SW.  This should really get you going...
What is 'best shot?'  Not heard of that format. Is it a 2 player 'best-ball,' or 2-player 'scramble' event?   dave
Silver Lake maybe?  I used to live in Homewood and remember Silver Lake to be a really nice track.  As Scott mentioned above, figure out what day(s) work for you.  Call local courses and ask for contact info for league organizers on those evenings.  If you can get that info, email and and ask to get on their sub list.  Vacations / work travel means leagues are always looking for subs.   If you're fortunate enough to get calls to sub, use those opportunities to 'audition'...
 You'd really enjoy being in a group with my wife.  We're at a place where the group in front of us just vacated the green.  Just on the other side of a stand of trees (hidden from us) same group was teeing off.  My wife hits her 4th shot into a par 5 green with water all the way to green.  Her ball hits the bank short of green and rolls back into water.  Very loudly, she yells across the fairway to me (and in the same direction of guys teeing off on next hole) "CAN YOU...
When you no longer dig through the bag for a 'water ball' before hitting over the lake on #15.   A round of golf is now 18 holes instead of 9.   You get to drive the cart.   Your skins game 'donation' finally pays off.   Playing partners no longer take cover behind large trees and carts when you address the ball   dave