or Connect

Posts by dave s

I wholeheartedly agree with the premise of the article, 'US Fans Boozed Up.'   America has long since become a culture where life revolves around the next opportunity to consume alcohol.    Go to a football game, drink.  Baseball game, drink. A weekend hunting trip is more an opportunity to get together with the boys and drink all weekend. 'We're going 4-wheeling this weekend,' means we're packing coolers full of beer and drinking all weekend. Going boating on a...
Here's a potential solution for you and you'll need a range finder device for this.   Go to a practice range that has targets of varying distances.  Shoot the distance to a short target of about 80-100 yards.  Find the club that fits that distance.  SW, PW, 9-iron? ... whatever it may be.  Get the shot distance dialed on on a single club.  Subtract 10 yards for the next shorter club number, add 10 yards to the next longer club number.   Repeat same for targets further...
As someone else mentioned, it is going to be difficult to shave 2 strokes off your handicap in 3 weeks.  Here's what I'd be looking at:   1. Find a club you can put in play off the tee if in fact your driver isn't working and causing issues.  Your tee ball sets up every hole and in many ways, dictates what you CAN do the rest of the hole.   2. Stay away from the 'big numbers' at all cost.  Rather than playing any 'hero shot' that turns out badly, play for bogeys and...
During a typical 18-hole round, I have ONE great 9-hole round.  It's usually holes 5-13.    Holes 1-4, I'm not properly warmed up and in any kind of groove.  Good chance I'm already +5 or worse.   Holes 5-13 are usually played 2-3 over and I'm playing my best golf of the day.   Holes 14-18 I either, a) running out of gas if it's really warm; b) swing goes to heck; c) beer kicks in.   And that's how you become a habitual 16 handicapper!   It's still fun and I...
The best advice I've received was from my dad:  "Son, you gotta keep up or you can't play."  Pretty simple.  Keep the game moving forward.   Some tips that might be of mention:    1. Put a club away, pull the next one, two ... or THREE.  Approach shot to green misses.  I put away my approach club and pull 1 or possibly 2 wedges AND my putter.  Sometimes I'll walk to the green based on where my partner is with the cart.  I usually get to my ball, assess the situation...
It seems when we reach that 40 year mark, the nicks, hacks, bruises and scrapes don't seem to heal up as quickly as they used to.  Glad you mentioned your age, because I certainly noticed the same issue of not being able to rebound quickly after simply 'overdoing it' or from any other self-induced injury.   Several years back, I hit an unseen tree root with an iron during a shot.  Felt the bones in the back of my left hand jar, bend and nearly break. Went for an x-ray. ...
Another success factor in hitting the short wedges is knowing the exact yardage to your target.  My laser yardage tool (bushnell) is probably most valuable inside 100 yards. Knowing the exact yardage helps select the correct wedge and hit the right shot.   This is especially critical when you get inside 70 yards.  If you stand next to someone and shoot the yardage, they USUALLY estimate fewer yards than the range finder says.  Any question why most people come up SHORT...
I'm not trying to 'sell' Linkswear shoes to anybody.  Now, that I own 3 pair and wear nothing but, here's why:   1.  These are the most comfortable shoes I own.  Not just golf shoes; any shoe period. 2.  They grip the ground better than my Adi-zero shoes with what, 8 or 9 cleats per shoe? 3.  They look good, feel good and perform well.   dave
Yep.  Got the 10 or so golfnow emails.  Easy solution:  delete, delete, delete ....   dave
 Truth to your statement WUTiger.  Last year, I added the HL 5-wood with a senior flex shaft.  And let me tell you, the ball gets up and flying high in a hurry!  It's my 'go-to' weapon for 2nd shots on par-5s and for getting around the green on long par-4s. As for the hybrids, they are generally yardage-based par-3 clubs for the most part.  Although the #5-hybrid does see it's share of swings when things aren't going particularly well! dave