or Connect

Posts by dave s

Jon,   You're last paragraphs sums it up perfectly.  Play.  Have fun.  It's not work, it's recreation.  Enjoy yourself and golf for what it is for guys like us!   dave      
Here some info on how to 'right-size' courses based on distance:   Avg. drive - Recommended Tees 300 yards - 7,150-7,400 yards 275 yards - 6,700-6,900 yards 250 yards - 6,200-6,400 yards 225 yards - 5,800-6,000 yards 200 yards - 5,200-5,400 yards 175 yards - 4,400-4,600 yards 150 yards - 3,500-3,700 yards 125 yards - 2,800-3,000 yards 100 yards - 2,100-2,300 yards   Some info on the 'tee it forward' idea: ...
It's easier to shore up a poor short game than it is to significantly increase your GIR numbers.  The cold truth is that it's easier with practice getting chips and pitches to 1-putt range than it is to hit and hold greens from 150-200 yards out.   There are plenty of stats out that that indicated GIR % of tour players versus 20 handicappers.  Those of us between 15-20 hdcp understand this completely.  In an 18-hole round, we might hit 3-4 greens.  Accepting a low GIR %...
For 2015:   1. Get ALL chips/pitches to, and past the hole.  Can't count the number I left 20' short and 2-putted.  Need to provide more REAL up-and-down opportunities from around the green.   2. Hit fairway shots more solidly and control distance better.  I'm getting my hybrids (4 and 5) and shorter iron (6-9i) distances better dialed in.  Reality setting in that my 7-iron goes more like 135 than 145.  Dial in wedge distances, (P, AW, 54* and 58* lofts) so I can get...
Alabama is on the way to New Orleans.  You may want to research the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama.  Course run north to south and throughout the entire length of the state. Most courses are 'upscale' enough that club rental is possible. Beautiful courses, scenery and the weather should be perfect in May.   dave
I think the idea is worth time doing a financial analysis to see if it's cost-effective over time to create a course with an artificial turf component.   If you consider a tract of land that really isn't good for anything else (I'm thinking moderate desert-type land) giving this idea a go might make sense.    Tee boxes could be constructed platforms, fairways could be generous-sized landing areas surrounded by completely unimproved waste areas on all sides.  Expanded...
I'm constantly working on getting the ball to, and past the hole on chips and pitches.  Still getting used to the ball spin combination of a couple of newer Vokey wedges and softer cover balls.  Hit, skip once or twice, and stop on a dime ... 20' short of hole.   When playing practice rounds with my wife, (was just in FL 2 weeks ago) I work on getting those chips to, and past the hole.   While playing 3 rounds in FL, I holed one on the fly--no bounce, just sucked right...
Local course has a par-5 with a group of trees in the middle of the fairway in the area where your 2nd shot will land.  Fairway area is 1/4 left of trees, trees take up half the fairway and right is 1/4 of remaining fairway.  The kicker here is that the hole sweeps LEFT just past the trees and the green is elevated and guarded by a stream that moves right to left with a water hazard (pond) guarding the left half of the green that swallows up any shot left short.   To...
My wife was fitted for clubs last season.  Her fairway wood is a #7 wood.  She really couldn't get a 3 or 5 wood to fly and get any distance.  Good reason to be fitted for clubs.   dave
I developed a personal drill after watching my HS basketball playing son working with a college coach.  His theory was repeating shots close to the basket and focusing on SEEING the ball in the basket every time was important.  I use his principle for putting. Here's a drill:   Find a hole on a practice green that isn't quite level.  Take 2 balls.  Moving around the hole at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock positions, make both balls from each position at a distance of only 2...