or Connect

Posts by dave s

I don't condone any of the vile responses that resulted from Curt's initial Tweet.  Here's the REAL problem:   He tweeted the message to the WORLD on a global platform to be seen by anyone with a phone or computer with an internet connection.   A simple AND PRIVATE message to his daughter on the subject and this is a non-news story.   When are people going to realize that when you put stuff out to everyone on the planet bad thing can and DO happen?   Personal rant:...
Some useful and overlooked items:   1. Always stay well behind anyone hitting a shot 2. Stay well out of the way of others and keep still while others are hitting 3. Pick up your feet while walking on the green! 4. Figure out which club is working and use it until you need your wedge and putter 5. Make use of the practice putting green before stepping on to #1 tee box   good luck playing with your buddy.  Hope all goes well and he enjoys the experience.   dave
You can also see how weather (Honda classic this week) affects their ability to score well.   dave
A buddy had the onset of shanks during a round which seemed to worsen as the round continued.  Near #17 green, the rest of us watched as he shanked the ball completely around the green.  When he got near the cart path, rather than attempting a 4th chip shot of similar result, he picked up and walked to 18 tee and sat on the bench while we finished out.   More than one shot, but wow.  I've shanked more than a few in my day but completely around a green?  I'd pull the...
My wife is a 6th year player this coming season.  Last summer we get paired up with an older dad and his son after the 6th hole.  'Dad' makes a comment about not liking to play with women as a rule, but since my wife was so 'pretty' he'd make an exception.  My wife still isn't keen on playing with people she doesn't know  ... especially a guy who would make a comment like that!   Seventh hole is a par-5.  Wife's 4th shot ends up in fairway approach area to green on a...
My guess is you paired up with a guy who plays a LOT of rounds by himself!  Possibly due to the introspective narrating you described.   dave
Yep.  PGA certainly needs more outwardly 'likeable' young men like Mr. Hahn.   My standard PGA tour behavior rant:  Guys, please TRY (even a LITTLE BIT) to look like you're having fun playing golf for a living!    I'm starting to believe that showing up to a tournament and getting 4 free outfits, a dozen gloves, new shoes, hats and having everybody do everything (drive them around, for example) for them has turned a bunch of probably very likeable guys into snobbish,...
 Yeah, good points on setup.  I can almost hear you say to a customer, 'ok, we worked on this last week. Remember our ball position from last time?' When my wife started playing, getting the ball nearly OUTSIDE her front foot lead to topping tee balls.  As soon as she'd move it back to inside her big left toe, she was back to hitting them solid.  These are the simple 'setup issues' that plague many people and why I believe getting into a good pre-shot routine that leads to...
Another thing about par 3 holes is they are usually the lowest hdcp (easiest) holes on the card.  Not always the case of 'short' equals 'easy'.  My league hdcps holes based on league scores.   We have 2 par 3s that are rarely parred.  One plays 165-180 (depending on tee position) over a ravine/waste area and 100% carry to a slightly elevated green. To make things even more difficult, it's shrouded by large old growth oak trees on both sides.  The green is wide left to...
 That' just a bad analogy.  Best golfer (arguably) on the planet vs an 18-hdcp player is apples-to-saw dust comparison. Proper setup for golf is like any other process.  A proper setup will give you a BETTER chance for success than a poor setup.  Accurate statement for ANY process. dave