or Connect

Posts by dave s

Two ways to determine which course yardage / tee box fits your game:   1.  One formula has a golfer estimate the average distance that his or her 5-iron shot will travel — an honest average, not the ultimate 5-iron — and then multiply that number by 36.   2.  Avg Driver / Tee shot length       Driver Distance Recommended 18-Hole...
There available.  You can buy the same shirts that Tiger, Rory, Sergio, Ricky Fowler and others wear on tour.  They just cost a LOT of money!   dave
You likely hit the ball much farther and me, but this should make sense regardless of club distance differential.   Since I'm older and not in any danger of breaking 80 anymore, understanding what CAN do well led to a reconfiguration of the clubs in my bag.  Short-iron play is my strong suit.  Getting into short-iron range is my focus on every hole.  Wedge play round the green and putting is good as well.  Here's what I came up with:   LW - 80 yards.  58/11 vokey SW -...
After pushing my drive on #11 (dogleg LEFT) right, and into #10 fairway, I opened the face on a 7-iron for height to clear trees on approach to green.  Had 142 to a front, right pin placement.  Ball must have hit short of the green but was right on line with pin.  Bounced once, HIT the pin and left me a 4-footer for my second birdie of the round.   And wouldn't you know it.  Storms rolled in.  We got to finish 13 holes before torrential rains washed out the rest of the...
League night observation this week.  Guy and his granddaughter show up on the practice tee while I was there warming up.  Young lady, about 10 years old puts her bag near where my clubs are propped up.  In her bag was a Driver, hybrid (probably a 5h, I'd guess) 7i, PW, putter.  The driver had a Callaway head cover.  The small carry bag was also Callaway branded.   What more could a 10-year-old want or need as a beginner?  Great set.  Well thought out.  I'm just sorry I...
Boy, Chuck isn't moving around so well these days.  Loved the 1-handed swing ... sounded like he hit it solid!   dave
#9 hole at my home course has a bern / moat / wall just in front of green.  10' wide water hazard, rock wall, then green.  To complicate matters, the hole is 390 from the tees we play.  A layup 2nd shot is a popular option due to the complete carry to the green.   Last year, my buddy skulls his 3rd shot pitch to green.  Ball hits the rock wall, straight back at him and you guessed it ... right in the crotch!   How can you NOT laugh about that one?!!!   dave
Ok, seven holes in one is impressive on any level.  Rounds = opportunity = holes in one actually happening.  Hope I can go 150 rounds a year when I retire.   Good on your pop!   dave
 By all means and could not agree MORE with your statements.  Don't get me wrong, if a 2-some comes up behind us quickly with nobody in front of us, by all means it's, 'let 'er rip, boys!'  They're usually gone in 5 minutes.  No issue at all. I think most here believe it's their RIGHT, (or RULE as some have mentioned) to play through another group, regardless of the situation, as long as THEY are playing faster than the group in front of them.  As you correctly stated,...
 Ahh, the PERFECT solution and you are exactly right. I tend to play behind the 4 guys playing from the tips on the final round of the US Open.  None of whom are in contention, or capable of breaking 100 from the back tees. When this happens, I locate the pro shop number on the score card, pull out the cell phone, call and ask for a ranger to visit the group.  Works every time. In all fairness to the topic, I grew up on golf with a teaching professional dad.  I learned...