or Connect

Posts by dave s

I'm left-handed (but play RH golf) and my brain works differently than most.  You'd look at my club layout in my bag (same config as your new bag) and probably say WTF?   That said, I've found a 'snake' pattern started from top left puts the clubs in decent order according to usage.  Club lineup in bag looks like this:   L  >>>>  R   Driver, 3-wood, 5 wood   R >>>> L   4h, 5h, 6i, 7i   L >>>> R   8, 9, PW, AW   R >>>> L   54*W, Putter, 58* W   Granted,...
Nice post.  And it does make you feel good to contribute to the team when playing a scramble!   dave
Agree on the 'degree of difficulty' some courses prefer.  I heard an interesting comment from the GM of a resort complex in north central Indiana who said he was in a constant battle with the course superintendent on course setup. Course super had US Open on his mind, GM of the resort is thinking 'resort course' setup.   The place in question was a teaching facility with 2 18 hole courses.  People come take lessons to improve their game, then go play the two courses and...
Long- and mid-range fairway to green game.  It's about 20% that I'll hit a solid shot from 200-130 range.  Inside 130 I'm usually pretty solid but give me a fairway wood, hybrid or longer iron and it's an adventure at best.  Almost every time.   dave
Picked up a new weapon for this season in the way of a TaylorMade Stage 2 5-wood HL (high loft) model.  Idea was to be able to reach longer par 4s to at least green side or chipping areas and to eat up yardage on par-5 second shots.   So far, I've taken my lumps trying to figure out setup, swing and contact to make the club a useful tool.  Last month or so, I'm really making solid contact and hitting it from tight fairway lies in the 175-190 yards range.  Consistency is...
1. Hit ball solid 2. Make all the 'makeable putts' 3. Keep 6s off card   Usually doesn't work, but that'd represent a pretty fine round of golf!   dave
I've played a bunch of Jack Nicklaus designed courses.  Never walked away feeling like the course beat me up, was unfair or overly difficult.  Jack does a great job designing courses with the average golfer in mind.   dave
A test BEFORE you can play?  No way.  Who wants to be instantly banned from an activity that needs MORE players disparately?   The idea of a handbook is a good one!  I've always advocated courses providing free ball repair tools with a 'how-to' diagram sitting next to the container of repair tools.   People not knowing the rules, playing badly or otherwise doesn't hack me off anywhere near as much as me having to fix 10 ball marks, (and that's just a FEW of them!) on...
My dad was a teaching professional.  What he'd say (whether exaggerated or not) was, '90% of the problems people have hitting a golf ball is a result of bad setup.'   My game/swing doesn't go that far off the tracks anymore.  When my wife can't hit the ball solidly, we go back to the basics of:  Feet shoulder width; feet, knees, hips and shoulders square; forward-tilt from the hips; ball in middle of stance; weight a bit on left side; swing club.  After 2-3 swings, she's...
 The post read not ALL and not 'not at all' as you read it. dave