or Connect

Posts by stealthduffer

I'm sure that it has been a lot of work but the results speak for themselves. Must be rewarding to see your efforts paying off.
I rarely shopped at Dick's simply because their prices weren't that great. Did get some shoes and some other sale items from time to time. I really avoided Golf Galaxy. Made a couple of trips there for items and simply couldn't get anyone to help me. At one of the other "big box" retailers the staff seems anxious to help. Guess who gets my business.
Haven't had a chance to play a lot of the famous links courses but my favorite is the Old Course at Ballybunion. Just like St. Andrews (walked it one evening a LONG time ago but haven't played it) I think you can feel the spirit of golf when you are there.
I usually only hit the range as warm up for my round - sometimes I will work on a problem but hard to do with range balls. A few years ago I played a course with Pro-V1's on the range. Only time I played worse balls on the course than on the range!
Bent grass is great - but requires a lot of TLC especially when it gets hot or dry.  There is a local course in Virginia that had grand aspirations and put in bent tees, fairways and greens.  Unfortunately the city ran out of money to fund the course and it took a real beating during a couple of hot, dry years.  Making a bit of a comeback but still in rough shape.  Would like to say it was poor decision making but I can also say that the Shenandoah Valley also seems to be...
I've played 3 Pete Dye courses.  Used to play at Tamarack in Illinois pretty frequently back in the mid '80's.  Enjoyed playing there but it is pretty much a run of the mill parkland course.  I liked it because my wife could play there without getting discouraged.  I've played the River course at Kingsmill - to be honest it was so cold and windy I don't remember much about it.  And, I've played the River Course at Virginia Tech a couple of times.  I actually like the VT...
Would be interested to know the back story on this?  I took a look at some of your other posts but didn't see a reference (if it's there please just point me in the right direction!).  Would also be interested, after they've had a chance to fully grow in and mature a little, how you compare the two types of grass.   Thanks
Feherty - is that you?
Was going to give this exact same quote.  Focus on your game, what you can control and ignore all the other distractions that can happen in match play.  If you play well but lose you still have the satisfaction of playing a good round.
Always loved corporate outings where you had, shall we say, a number of "less experienced" golfers on the course.  Any shout of Fore immediately resulted in one person in each foursome ducking and covering and the other three looking skyward to see what all the shouting was about.  Did see one instance, a number of years ago, where the errant shot hit the top of a cart scaring the daylights out of the group ahead.  The shot was to a par three and the group ahead had moved...