or Connect

Posts by Chief Broom

Tommy Gainey did it.  He was an assembly line worker at a water heater factory who played money games and mini tour events on the side.  I believe after doing this for a few years and being reasonably successful doing so (making money in the money games and placing well in the mini tour events) he was able to convince a group of business people whom he knew to put up the money (along with winnings he was able to save) for him to devote himself full time to playing golf....
  I wonder how you translate that drill into the full driver swing?
Find a good vantage point somewhere on the back 9 prior to any of the players making it that far along in their rounds.  Stay there and let all the golfers come to you.  The herd following Tiger starts showing up a good 2 or 3 holes prior to him coming through, so being there ahead of time is crucial.  This has always worked for me Sunday's at the Masters.
I de-loft the driver horribly at impact.  I have a very strong grip as a result of being a lifelong slicer of the ball.  As I've tamed the slice (somewhat) my ball flight has drastically dropped.  In fact the only shot with the driver I can get up in the air is that high slice/cut, otherwise it's low.  This is a result of being above plane after I start down on the ball and come into impact outside-in.   Any ideas for drills to work on at the range to add more loft or...
Well I tried this and it didn't work.     My club has 5 sets of tees and I always play the middle tees at 6250yds (70.4/126).  Beyond that we've got 6750yds (72.5/130) and 7100yds (74.2/137).  Our club championship is coming up this weekend and they'll set it up so that we'll be playing from a mixture of the three longest tees.  Incidentally the one's immediately shorter than where I usually play are considered the senior tees at 5450yds (66.6/117) and shortest are...
  I guess I'd pick b for a larger margin of error.   I'd missed that "capture speed" thread originally and it is certainly interesting.   I'm definitely not a "rammer" when it comes to putting.  That's one of my regular playing partners.  He's a better putter than I am and I have found myself at times admiring his ability to firm those shorter putts home.  Actually how firm he's hitting them I can't say because I'd put his success rate on those (and this practice stands...
The pros hit putts firm for a reason.  I've got a regular golf buddy who does this and he's deadly on those short putts that can easily bring you to your knees trying to second guess the break and get the ball to die in the hole.  As Ben said aim for the back of the cup and hit it hard enough so that it hits it.
  This practice is very widespread.  I'd say far more people "roll" the ball than play it down.   It doesn't bother me one way or the other.  If someone who rolls the ball plays in a handicapped tournament their handicap will reflect the way they play, so any advantage gained will in effect lower their handicap accordingly.  The problem I see from rolling the ball is for the "roller" if they ever find them self in a situation where they are not allowed to roll the ball....
Miura draws upon the Japanese cultural traditions of metallurgy, craftsmanship, artistry, etc.  It's no coincidence that this approach has been successful for them in the Japanese market and beyond.  This multidisciplinary approach has always been a fundamental component of Japanese culture and the Miura company functions under this philosophy.  I've always admired this mindset.  The Samurai prized the ability to arrange flowers and write poetry as much as skill with...
  D'oh!