or Connect

Posts by metroplex

It looks like Maltby's formula for loft and length impact on distance isn't as accurate for the average golfer. I recall him mentioning that (loft/4)*5 = yards difference and (length/0.5)*5 = yards. Based on the conversation above, that equation changes to (loft/2)*5 = yards and length*5 = yards; where length = difference in length and loft is difference in loft in degrees. This seems to make more sense given what I have seen with just 5 degrees loft difference with wedges...
I went back on the launch monitor to try a few things, as well as a 9.5* Jetspeed in Stiff flex. My swing speeds were about 88 mph up to 89 mph. The stiff flex felt a lot better when contacting the ball. The monitor said I was hitting the ball farther with the Stiff flex 9.5* versus the 10.5* Reg and 9.5* Reg. I have to agree that it is my technique, because this time I really engaged my leg and core muscles, and let my arms extend versus trying to muscle it using my arms.
For what it is worth, I went to a Cobra Biocell demo fitting in January, and my numbers were something like 75 mph swing speed and total distance of around 170-180 yards. I'll keep working at it.
I just got back from Golfsmith and tried out a few drivers as well as my R11S. I believe the Jetspeed has higher club speed because it is about 0.5" longer. I understand their Foresight GC2 might not have accurate distance data, but I was looking more at launch angle, club speed, and spin numbers.
The ball doesn't balloon up, but it has a high launch. Once it reaches the peak of travel, it drops like a duck that was shot. If the ground is hard, I can both see and hear the comet/ball crashing down and making a huge bounce. The carry, if any, is almost non-existent. I see the same type of flight path as my RBZ S2 wood and hybrids off the deck, as well as the Rocketbladez irons. They all have a fairly high flight path with minimal carry. The best shot I had with my...
I have one, but I found it hilarious that it was advertised on the Apple commercial as if it is exclusive to the iPhone. I use it with my Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android). I found the club speeds were way optimistic. The swing path data is interesting and helpful, as it shows when you are clearly over the top. Other than that, I don't find it very useful. You have to input club data manually if it isn't found in their database, and even then club speeds were optimistic compared...
I understand that it can be difficult to diagnose swing/technique over the internet, and that I need to go to a launch monitor - but I wanted to hear some thoughts on this. I have a R11S 12 degree head, and I've been playing around with different shaft lengths, moving the weights around, etc... and I think I have found a fairly consistent setup with a 44 inch Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue SC (regular flex). My swing radar shows I am averaging 90-92 mph. At the range though, I...
I finally got my free 6 iron SpeedBlade, and measured the loft to be around 26* (advertised 26.5*) and the length to be 38.50" (advertised to be 37.625" standard). I pulled out my current generic 4 iron and its loft is about 25* and the length is 38.50". I looked at Ping's G25 iron specs and my Pinemeadow (as well as many other conventional irons) have similar specs, so the SpeedBlade 6 iron is very much like my 4 iron. A few people on another forum said their SpeedBlade...
I used a shallow faced 3 wood and hit the ball farther when using a tee that has the ball about half way above the crown of the head. The ball hit the 200 yard marker fence and bounced over it. Off the deck, the carry distance is substantially shorter. The blue "4 yards more" tee is about the right height for this particular 3 wood.
One of the problems I've had and cannot resolve is consistently hitting off the fairway, driving range mat, and the rough using a hybrid (traditional wood-like hybrid).   I thought it might be shaft flex, shaft length, loft, etc... but it doesn't seem to be it. For whatever reason I either top the ball or take a huge divot (or smack the head into the driving range mat). I address the ball and swing the hybrid the same way I do with a long iron. If I use the hybrid 10...