or Connect

Posts by RickK

I play a course on occasion that looks very similar to the picture in the OP's post.  This particular course has it marked with red stakes so it is considered a lateral hazard. Play another than has much larger rocks in a ditch that disects the fairway.  In this case it has yellow stakes and is a water hazard. Have also played courses in Houston and Birmingham that have concrete ditches runnng paralled to holes or disecting holes and those were also considered to be...
I have played a couple of lighted regulation par 72 golf courses in the US in the past.  It was a pretty cool experience but something you have to learn is that you can't just stand up on the tee box and try to play "bomb it and go find it".  Realistically, you have to learn to play from patch of light to patch of light.  Getting out in the rough where the light is not so bright made it very difficult to hit good shots.  Shadows make it even tougher.  But, it really was a...
40 yards would be huge for me, approaching 69 years old.  For those who advocate moving up to the senior tees, I have that option in the tournament league I play in.  The problem, since the competition allows for playing multiple tees...sometimes my handicap gets dinged by 3 or 4 strokes to play those senior tees.  Not a lot of fun when I could play from the regular tees at an 11 but have to play to a 7 from the senior tees.
I think the major factor in keeping your shoes looking good is to clean them after ever round.  I start out by running hot water over the soles to clean all the dirt off and then over the toe and side of the shoes.  I have a brush that I use to clean along the edge of the soles then I use a soft cloth without soap and clean off everything else.  If that does not work then I add a little dish soap to the cloth and rub down the problem area and rise off.  For black scuff...
Played this past weekend (in SE Texas) and the weather was cold and windy for our part of the country.  I wore a regular golf glove on my left hand (I am right handed) and I have a pair of simple cotton gloves that I keep in my bag this time of year.  I wore the right hand glove when I was not swinging the club and then just kept  putting it back on.  Had I not had the extra glove, I believe I would have been miserable.  Older I get, the more my hands hurt in cold...
Some of the guys I play with in casual rounds will ask what I hit before they hit.  It is not a tournament and they never play in tournaments so I tell them.  Again, casual round.  They don't do it every hole or every shot.  Should be obvious if I have driver in my hand.  Other clubs...maybe not. Now, as far as not giving correct score, if I know they are wrong I will usually say something like Let's count them again and I start out telling what I saw.  They usually take...
Nope.  I think the fact that golf has matured is why we leave this alone.  It is fine just the way it is today.
The pros don't have a need to use range finders.  Their caddies have books that can tell you just about any yardage you could want.  They also know how far on the pin is and how far from either side of the green as well as green size front to back, side to side.  So, when you see them talking to their caddies before a shot, they are finding the distance (most of which was already gained by the caddie using a range finder to supplement the yardage books they use.
 Absolutely and it is in my bag all the time.  But, I play in a lot of tournaments each year so it is good to have one for cases just as the one being discussed in this thread.
Well, you gotta try the pimento cheese sandwich.  That's just tradition.  :) Souveniers and stuff you can buy at the shops on the course are not overly expensive. When I went last, people asked me to bring them back things and before it was all said and done I had spent almost $500. To get a feel, you really need to walk the entire course before you decide to find a place to just sit and watch.  It is well worth it to get to see the entire golf course, grounds, area...