or Connect

Posts by zimmer

I guess it's standard now unless you buy forged blades but it was shock to me.  I know that over the years, irons have gotten a bit more juiced but when you've been playing a 36* 7 iron for 30 years, it's hard to make that adjustment mentally.  I like knowing that my pitching wedge is a pitching wedge and not a  9 iron.  It would take a lot of learning curve....for me to adjust to that while playing.  Grabbing a 44* pitching wedge because you're thinking out of habit, that...
Try Global Golf or Callaway preowned.  Global Golf is an authorized dealer and does have a great selection of new and used clubs.  You might save some bucks and get a mint condition driver in the specs you're looking for.
I just did a fitting with my golf pro to see if my 962s needed tweaking.  I hit a few 7 irons with my clubs and he then had me hit a few with the Nike 7.  The Nike 7 was 15 yards further than my mine....consistently.  He measured loft on both...my 7 was 36, the Nike was 31 so I attribute the distance to the loft difference and much lighter shaft than my  DG S300s.  I was impressed with the feel, the look and the distance but I don't know that I could get used to the jacked...
If I recall, Wilson Staffs had a sweet spot about the size of a pea. That, coupled with the S shaft that had the flex of a 2x4, made it a true players club. 4-P was okay, but 2 and 3 were brutal. Reminiscent of the Hogan Apex.
There was an article in a recent Golf Digest article that compared shot distance and dispersion between "players clubs", "Game Improvement", and "Super Game Improvement" clubs. Of course, the Super Game Improvement clubs had better distance and dispersion rates but that would be expected since the heads are bigger than a pie pan and the lofts are juiced. Too much help takes the fun out of the game...for me anyway. The mizunos sound interesting. Are they as consistent...
Before jumping into an $800 set of blade style irons that may or may not serve you well, you may want to spend $100-150 on a set of Titleist 962s or 990s. They are cast, have little offset, are moderately forgiving, and are very workable. Trajectory is medium with an s300 shaft. I play Srixon 701 tours but still, on days when I need to humble myself, pull out my 990b irons so I can have an accurate read on my swing. If you're a mid to higher handicap, the blade style...
I tend to think it's more the player than the wedge. Years ago, there was a set of wedges that had a special coating on the face to provide added spin and they just didn't take off. Over the years, I've used Mizuno, Titleist, Cleveland, Ram, and Callaway wedges and found that they all provide about the same amount of spin. My fall back wedge is a Titleist Tri-sole 56 that I can pretty much do anything with. It spins will and barely has any grooves left. In "the...