or Connect

Posts by jaystock

I have two. The first was an 8-iron from 142 yds when I was 14 yrs old, about a year after I started playing golf seriously. The second was even more interesting. It was the final hole of a 54-hole college tournament. The final 36 holes were played in one day, and both rounds were shotgun starts...why - I still don't know. Anyway, I had struggled to an ugly 79 (par 71) over the first 18, then was 6-over through 17 holes in the final round. I had started on the...
Well, I started playing when I was 13, made a hole-in-one at 14, played every day that summer and made my varsity high-school team by the end of my freshman year. Wish improvement came that quick these days! Oh, wait, that work thing gets in the way...
Unfortunately, it's not coming through...I can't get anything on the PGA site today...
Um, I'm going to stick to my guns on this one. There are lots of ways to define "good" in golf, and I think that is what we are failing to do. Quantitatively, we've got all kinds of statistics for doing precisely that, and all of them relate to different aspects of the game, but in my opinon score is the most logical. Scoring average, driving distance, GIR, sand saves, putts, etc., are all metrics by which we judge the skill of a golfer, but in order to quantify...
To me, the notion of Tiger being "2X as good" as Phil means that Tiger would cut Phil's 18-hole scores in half (on average) every time they play. Obviously, that's not going to happen - so I think any idea about anyone being "2X as good" is a bit disrespectful of how talented all the PGA Tour pros are. Tiger may win twice (or five or ten) times as often as someone else, but in my mind that does not make him actually twice as good. You could say that Tiger is 2X as...
I'll be watching most of it on Sunday, but in general I'd rather play myself than watch. Nothing like squeezing them both in though! Saturday I'll be playing in an MGA event first...then parking in front of the tube.
My specials : 1) Ocean Course at Kiawah Island - site of 1991 Ryder Cup and 2012 PGA - played in 1993 when I was 16. A 7500 yd course at sea level was an absolute monster at that time. Holy crap. #17 is one of the toughest par-threes I've played. Another hole was 495 yds, par 4, into the howling wind. I spanked driver, spanked 3W, then holed out from 40 yds short for a sweet birdie. That's the only good thing I did that day en route to an 87! 2) TPC at...
Currently three: Odyssey TriHot #1 (34") TM Rossa Sebring (35") Yes! Natalie (34") Currently using the Natalie, but none of them work worth a damn right now. Perhaps I need another ...
I'm an environmental engineer (mostly water issues). Occasionally we get to work on water supply, drainage, and wetland issues that involve golf courses, bt not as much as I had hoped when first going to work here. I can log on at work until the resident internet Nazi blocks this site...
Hey fellas, I'm an environmental engineer in Austin, TX. Grew up in Houston, played high school and Div III college golf. Used to play a lot of amateur events, but I've recently curtailed that activity some. The title says "decent stick", but I'm not sure that's entirely accurate anymore. I've gone from scratch to a 4 hcp in the last year trying to revamp my swing and short game, neither of which wants to take hold. Currently I can't make a three-footer to save my...