or Connect

Posts by mdl

Exactly the same for me.  25-40 yard bunker shot I'm hitting a green side splash shot with PW-8i.  Out to 70-80 yards and I'm treating it as a fairway bunker and hitting a full/near full 60˚.
I voted neither.  I have some sympathy for the dial back the ball argument, but here's why I come down against it.  The technology has simply increased the value of one of the skills of golf, that skill being the ability to swing the club faster.  A quick and dirty calculation from @ay33660's contingency table on driving distance categories over the decades since 1980 gives an increase in the standard deviation of average pro driving distances of 7%.  I'd guess that just...
 This is the key to the misconception.  You remember and feel terrible about those missed greens from 50 yards because you expect to hit all of them tight, or at least 100% on the green, cause you're so close.  You miss more often with a full wedge from 100 yards, but you're not expecting to stick every one close from that distance, so you don't remember the misses as so frustrating.  This leads you to think you're better from 100 yards than 50 because you feel better...
Yeah, I'm not as long as you, but I'm a big ex college baseball player too and have good distance. My 60° goes ~90 yards. But my 54° goes ~105, not 130 or something.BTW, I CAN hit my 60° 100-105 if I deloft the crap out of it, ssuper hard, and hit a slight pull draw. But that's a worse, less consistent shot than my stock 54°, so I don't.
Something weird is going on with your wedge swing.  No one has 25 yard gaps between 4˚ separated wedges.  You must be delofting your wedges, and your 52˚ worse than your 60˚.  If not that would mean you just get 20-25 yard gaps for every 4˚ step in loft through your irons naturally with consistent trajectory because of your crazy swing speed, and that would mean you'd be hitting your 3i ~300 yards, which of course you're not.  What are your yardage gaps between PW and 9i,...
I think the intuitive disagreement is from everyone's experience that if you try to swing out of your shoes and add 25 yards to your drives, you can't maintain accuracy, and in fact you become way less accurate, and you score MUCH worse even though you're hitting the ball farther.  But the "pro-distance" side isn't arguing for that.  They're just pointing out that if you have two players, one with 10% better distance and one with 10% better accuracy (measured in degrees...
 Fair enough on the existence of ridiculous waste and fraud.  I totally agree.  I just disagree on the total numbers.  What percentage of the federal budget is spent in ways subject to this kind of abuse?  What percent of that percent is wasted?  Even if you give an unrealistically high number for that second percent, just because of what the federal budget is actually spent on, the product of those two just can't actually be a high enough number that you could make a huge...
 The bold statement is a false, or at best uninformed and very susceptible to right wing propaganda/media.  Unless by misuse you mean a sweeping, completely comprehensive transformation of the federal budget into something absolutely unrecognizably different than the current.  Almost all of the federal budget goes to Medicare/Medicaid, which is wildly efficient compared to private insurance (in terms of the % of money actually spent on medical care), social security, which...
 Very interesting!  I've done a lot of swing work to try to develop a solid push draw shot shape, but a big struggle of mine is trying to jack the ball from the very top.  The feel I generally go for is just keeping everything really smooth, but that doesn't work for me all the time.  I really like the idea behind this drill.  Gonna try it tonight!
First round in 2+ months since my first kid was born.  Was in the middle of swing changes, and haven't gotten to practice much but was actually feeling pretty good about my swing between the intermittent practice and lots of dry swings.  Shot 38 on the front, felt amazing and in control, hitting consistent draws that I've been working on.  Really only 2 bad shots the whole 9.  Bad par 4 tee shot cost me a bogey, terrible par 3 tee shot got me a double.  One other bogey was...