or Connect

Posts by mdl

Very interesting!  I've done a lot of swing work to try to develop a solid push draw shot shape, but a big struggle of mine is trying to jack the ball from the very top.  The feel I generally go for is just keeping everything really smooth, but that doesn't work for me all the time.  I really like the idea behind this drill.  Gonna try it tonight!
First round in 2+ months since my first kid was born.  Was in the middle of swing changes, and haven't gotten to practice much but was actually feeling pretty good about my swing between the intermittent practice and lots of dry swings.  Shot 38 on the front, felt amazing and in control, hitting consistent draws that I've been working on.  Really only 2 bad shots the whole 9.  Bad par 4 tee shot cost me a bogey, terrible par 3 tee shot got me a double.  One other bogey was...
 Hmmm.  Thinking this back over, I'm not 100% sure I'm right.  If the fence is one you don't get free relief from, does it still count as part of what can obstruct your stance/swing while taking relief from a different obstruction from which you do get free relief?  In practice I know the kind of wood stake + string knee high fence you're talking about and it's pretty much always removable.  But I'm not 100% sure in the other case anymore.  Any more rules-knowledgable guys...
Yeah I think those classic all steel back blades are beautiful.  But I think these new Nikes are sexy as hell too.  Even though it's above my pay grade, I already want that pro combo set 2-PW badly.   Speaking of getting new Nike irons, I just got a job at Nike.  At the employee store they have a very limited selection of current Nike irons.  I wonder if I can get the 50% employee discount on a set of these through the employee website!?  For $500 I'd go above my pay...
 It depends on the permanence of the fence.  If they're just little wooden stakes pushed in the ground with string between them, then it's a movable obstruction and you ignore the fence and if your NPR is obstructed by it you simply take out the stakes required to remove the obstruction. If it's a more permanent fence that can't be easily unstaked, then it's included in determining the nearest point where you can take a swing with ball, stance, and swing unobstructed....
If the club really is as snooty sat the OP fears, I'd like to think it's a no-cash club.  Wandering around the club dropping $5s or $10s or $20s on all the service staff seems pretty gauche new money to me.  Seems much more in the spirit of pretending you're a British aristocrat with a (very stiff and formal) Victorian sense of decorum and manners and tons of servants around waiting on you to simply pay bills directly to the club every time period and have the club pay the...
 Nice.  Though I will say I wouldn't mind a 15th club!  Driver, 3w, 5w/2h/2i, 3i through 47˚ PW, then 51˚, 55˚, and 60˚ wedges would be just fine by me!
 Nice graphic repost btw.  I'd just say that a lot of cart paths are wide enough that if you're on the right side of it your NPR is to the right for most clubs, not the left, even taking stance into account.
 Yeah it's plain stupid for anyone hoping to break 80 to use these rules.  It makes some sense to me for players playing in triple digits who aren't trying to get better or really play the full challenging sport but just like hitting the ball around the course and hitting a few good shots per round and hanging with friends.  Less complicated for them and faster pace for the rest of us.
 I'm sure some of the ego stroking is at play here.  But just to play devil's advocate, I can see some sense in this for beginner/recreational golfers who don't know/care much about the complex rules.  Instead of getting into ill-informed discussions about nearest point of relief or when you're allowed to drop the ball on the line from where you shot to where it ended or when you need to go back and hit from your original spot (of course these golfers aren't hitting...