or Connect

Posts by mdl

Interesting story that gives a good view from both sides on trophy hunting big game in Africa.     http://www.vox.com/2015/7/29/9069795/cecil-the-lion-hunting   Short of it is that it goes both ways.  When hunting of the white rhino in South Africa was legalized and regulated with decently enforced quotas, their value to the locals skyrocketed and the population boomed from 100 to 10k!   With lions in particular though, legalized hunting has worked very poorly....
 Good point.  I'd be interested to hear too.  The only people I ever knew relatively well with traveling parents were military kids, and obviously a parent going on a 6-13 month stint (whether at war or a peacetime navy tour or whatever) is very different from what the OP's considering.
 My best friend's in IT.  He had a few certs, no BA, got the right opportunity at the right company, started ~$50k, hourly, worked his way up to ~$100k, salary plus benefits, in 4-5 years, made himself indispensable, negotiated a 10% pay cut to cut back to 30 hrs/week.  He's spending the extra time building out an IT consulting business, which is going well, and pursuing one of his dreams. Not that that needs to be your story of course, but I'd say you might consider the...
I'd echo everyone's questions about other family around.  I don't have personal experience with traveling jobs, but I have a 1+ year old at home, and I know I for sure wouldn't have wanted to dump a newborn on my wife and disappear 1/3 of days.  But we don't have any family close by, so she would've been solo mission with the kid.  If her mom were around and available to help a ton and my wife were on board with it being worth it for future career prospects, then I'd be...
 Na, just get as many credit cards as possible and rack up tons of high interest debt.  Avoiding bankruptcy is for chumps.
 Ha, me too.  I agree with what's been said.  Posture and a few back swing tweaks.  I'd bet the toughest thing will be getting the weight forward (hips down the line) on the down swing.  Down swing now is almost entirely rotational with almost no push forward.  But as others suggested, fix the setup and back swing things first, then see how everything looks. Agree you've got a good base to work with as well.  Lots of people with a handicap in your zone post here for the...
 +1
 Yeah I was answering taking as a given he feels not confident even making good contact with the club he uses from 150.  But I agree, that seems a ridiculous yardage to lay up from.  I mean, I've played with some really old guys who drive it 180 and hitting a forced, say, 130 yard carry is just a bad idea.  But if you're putting drives out to 270 or 280, in general it's ridiculous to lay up from 150 with an 8i or whatever.  
 This isn't a bad rule of thumb.  Not to logroll for LSW, but one thing laid out nicely there is to sharpen this a bit and try to think about lowest expected score.  Like if you play the shot that minimizes your chances of double or worse, maybe you almost never hit par and still mess up bad enough to hit double sometimes.  But there might be another option where you might hit double a bit more often but you hit par fairly often, so your average score is actually lower...
Agree with @14ledo81!   I'm a little confused in your setup.  You claim a 21 handicap and talk about feeling super inconsistent even from 150 yards even though with your driver distance that can't be more than an 8i, 7i MAX.  And inconsistent not in whether you'll hit the green a huge percentage of the time, but inconsistent like you don't even feel you'll make good contact 50% of the time.  But then you talk about your typical drives they sound WAY more consistent, and...