or Connect

Posts by mdl

Absolutely agree.  I'm just saying that I think in general people think of the draw both as the better player's shape and as the distance shape because, regardless of whether they're doing it "right" or not – I'd argue that you can play good golf with a baby pull-fade with a slight out to in swing path btw – there's definitely a correlation between how good an amateur is and whether they primarily play a fade or a draw, just because there are good players that play both,...
 I think this is probably a combo of what @ryan772 said, everyone wants to brag about their distance and it's easier for people to hit a power draw than a power fade. I'd also bet that a big part of why people think that is that it's WAY more common to see really bad players with out of control fades/slices with no ability to hit a draw than the opposite.  So people tend to think of the draw as the player's shape, fade as the hacker's shape. But I fully agree with you that...
You've got a crazy strong grip (at least with the right hand) that leads to a weird action of your right arm.  Check out:    ​     ​ 
 I don't agree that this should be required.  Traditionally without yardage markers either guys were all playing on their local course and pretty much knew all the yardages or, later, had caddies when playing away clubs and had hired local knowledge. But, I've been playing a course recently that I don't know well and which doesn't have the obvious colored stake markers, just infrequent and seemingly randomly places yardage stones.  A couple times I've just eyeballed it...
I said yes not really because I think pro golf used to be better or it's ruined now with guys hitting it too far.  They've extended courses and the play is still varied and interesting.   I said yes because it would allow golf courses for the public to be much smaller (and require less water => more environmentally friendly).  More courses could be fit into tighter spaces closer in to cities without becoming cramped and requiring gimmick holes to make up for the fact...
@David in FL, thanks for clearing that up.  I guess I'd never looked into water hazard versus lateral water hazard.  Are there any hard and fast rules about what should or should not be considered a lateral water hazard?  Is it possible for the same lake to be both a lateral water hazard and just a water hazard?   For instance, what if a lake borders the left side of the fairway, then widens out creating a forced carry to the, say, peninsula green with the peninsula...
 Okay, fair enough.  The whole island doesn't need to be a perfect circle.  But there would need to be a section of the hazard that stretches two club lengths on either side of where you entered that makes a perfect circular arc centered at the flag.  This seems unlikely to exist to me.  Even with some perfectly circular arced sections of the edge of the hazard, there also needs to be a pin placement exactly in the center of the circle from which that arc is taken.
 If flies over the green, then the last point his ball crossed from in play into the hazard is on the back side of the green.  My understanding of the hazard drop rule was always that you extend the hazard line vertically into the air to make a sort of hazard boundary plane.  Then you drop from the point on the ground directly under the last point on that plane at which the ball crosses this plane going from not in the hazard into the hazard. For example, if a lake runs...
Unless you have a perfect circle island green with the pin exactly in the middle of the circle and you go in the hazard exactly on the line directly from where you teed up through the flag and to the back of the island, it is not possible that there is no spot to drop not closer to the hole.  So if you clear the green you don't need to hit a provisional because you will always be able to find a spot to drop, or drop twice then place if the slope is severe enough.
Just pointing out that even the reasonable public course, causal round hack of dropping near where you think your ball ended and hitting 4 from there to simulate a provisional could still be argued to be taking some extra portion of a stroke, more so the worse a golfer you are.  If you're not very good, there's a good chance you could have hit your provisional OB or into a hazard or simply in a worse spot than you think your lost shot ended near.   Of course, to...