or Connect

Posts by mdl

Look, obviously I'm not going to convince anyone hell-bent on disbelieving.  My point is simply that, yes, climate science is a large, complex field, and so of course you can find a few curmudgeons to quote who are convinced their research disproves entire literatures of work.  And since it's complex, it's also easy to find particular points where experts would agree we don't have a sharp understanding, and that can be used in arguments among non-experts to make it look...
 My point is that if you look at the literature your questions are answered.  They're only unanswered in the right wing echo chamber.  There is decades of study.  Nearly 100% of the people who've dedicated their lives to studying this have come to the conclusion that your questions are in fact answered.  The lion's share of the increase in CO2 is due to human carbon emissions, and it is causing and will continue to cause ever more damaging climate change. You can't pretend...
 You're dodging my question above.  Basically 100% of the thousands of people who've studied the issue from all different starting points and with various types of data and models agree that humans have caused the increase in CO2 and that the various natural cycles/effects pointed to by deniers fail to account for the majority of observed warming and CO2 level increase.  IOW, your list of "what we don't know" is in fact false.  We do know those things, or at least we know...
74 on a par 72.  Mostly from my best ever 9 hole score, 33 on the par 36 back nine.     If I remember correctly I had a par 5 eagle, par 3 birdie, and 7 pars on the back.  A bunch of semi-miracle recoveries through the round.  Typical driver miss pushed right into the trees followed by 100-150 yard punch slice 3i under the trees, rolled down the fairway onto the green, two putt par...
 Except you aren't causing yourself to get MS.  It's more like working in an asbestos mine, if you want to go health problem analogy.  You're not totally sure whether you can reverse all the built up effects of the time you've spent in the mine.  But it's ridiculous to pretend you can't be sure what's causing all the health problems among miners and shouldn't bother making any changes just because you're not sure whether you can reverse all the effects by stopping going in...
 This makes no sense.  It's just a more judicious sounding rewording of the denier position.  If you're a gambling addict, do you look at your bank account, acknowledge that the data show definitively that you're going broke, but then declare that it's impossible to know what the cause is and decide you're just along for the ride and that you can't/shouldn't do anything to change the trajectory of your bank account balance?
I'm not personally expert enough, nor do I have deep enough knowledge of the field and its literature, to take down every single denier quoted fact or curmudgeon.  But just step back for a second.  It's a known physical fact that CO2 and methane are green house gases that trap heat near the earth's surface and warm the climate.  A historically unprecedented warming has occurred exactly concurrently with humans increasing the level of CO2 by nearly 50% over just 200 years....
 I get that. But it hardly seems like preserving the integrity of the handicap system to post a 4 in this situation.  He should have been hitting 5 off the tee, and he should post a 4?  As I said above you yourself convinced me long ago to take lots of provisionals to avoid this situation.  But given he didn't take a provisional third tee shot, it seems a bit silly to me to say that thing that maintains integrity is to post 2 less than was physically possible had he...
I wasn't thinking really in terms of HCP posting, just self-monitoring.  I think this comes from the fact that I've only ever played in tournaments associated with a league/men's club I've joined where only in-club/league tournament scores are used for tournament handicapping and you're just ineligible for prizes/placing, or play off a 0, until you have enough tournament rounds recorded.  So my official handicap has really only ever been for personal tracking.   For self...
1) 1st shot 2) OB Penalty 3) 2nd shot 4) OB penalty 5) Simulated 3rd tee shot that ended where you dropped 6) Pitch on 7, 8) 2 putts in   I'd give you an 8