or Connect

Posts by mdl

So he has the worst approach shot in the history of golf?  Or, in other words, he has never once gotten on the green from further than 15 yards off?  Cause, ya know, otherwise he's way better than anyone who's ever played on tour...
 This used to be me for sure.  I knew overall that I wasn't great, but thought my iron play was better than it was, my driver was closer to good than it was, didn't understand how bad my putting or course management were, and overall thought I was much closer than reality to turning a big corner, magically eliminating the errant drives and general blow up holes, and becoming a mid single digit. Being around the game and TST longer, I've come to a much more accurate...
I think I've got a relatively accurate view of my own game.  My basic stats (FW%, GIR%, putts per round, putts per GIR) are all pretty close to what you'd expect for someone with my cap.  In other words, I'm slightly better than the average random golfer at ball striking, short game, and putting, but not a lot better.  I'm probably a little worse at putting, and maybe with near the green short game shots, and make up the stroke or two with length leading to shorter...
 Play the 3W at the left edge of the trap, playing for what I'm trying to make my stock shot, straight/push-draw that starts a bit right of my aim point and draws left of it.  Bad shot left into the water and the drop is still pretty close to the green so decent chance of up and down par, only an really abnormally bad pitch or first putt puts more than bogey in play.  Good shot and I'm on or just barely off the green, putting for eagle or with a relatively high percentage...
Personally I carry my drives about the distance to the pin.  Depending on how I'm feeling with that club and my 3W, I might try to hit a softish drive at the right edge of the green or just hit a powerful three wood at the same target.  But I'd be worried I skip my driver way past the hole or flare the 3W into the water, so in reality I'd probably hit 7i and then a 60˚ unless, like @Gunther said, it's a scramble or maybe some sort of betting round where there's big payoff...
I played with the 695 CBs for 4 years or so.  Don't remember my handicap trajectory exactly, but the last couple I was bouncing around 9-10.5.  Definitely not too "good" for a ~10 cap.   And I loved those clubs.  Good swing weight, nice feel, pretty forgiving for the style of club IMO.  I know it's very swing dependent, but I got good penetrating flight out of those irons too.
I'm decidedly on the bad end of round memory.  Walking off 18 I can probably step shot by shot through my round with a little effort.  Later that night I'd bet I could correctly recall maybe 3/4 of my shots.  Next day, only the memorable ones/holes.  Even my best rounds, I only remember a few holes.  My best round ever, I remember the crazy eagle I made driving right, hitting a 2h through a ridiculously tiny window in the trees to ~5 feet, then sinking the putt.  And I...
 I'd say the big question is the gap between your 3h and 5i. For me, if I'd taken out my 3i and 4i in my old set (or my 4i and 5i in my new set, which go similar distances as my old 3i and 4i though with the same lofts!) I would have a lot of par 3s where I had to try to hit an 82% hybrid or not been able to reach it with my 5i. I also would have had a pretty common range of par 5 yardages where to go for the green in 2 I would have to hit an 80-90% hybrid, and I score...
 Thanks for the link.  I'd heard of gear effect but never seen that helpful visual that makes it clear what's happening.
 No one?  The only threads that edge toward anger or at least umbrage taking these days are political ones where you sensibly never chime in.  We need more threads with a simple golf/physics fact being disputed where we get grumpy Erik smackdowns! On a more serious note, I'm sure these have been covered here somewhere at some point, but I can't find it and don't remember.  What are the effects of off center contact on ball flight (generally, I assume there will be some...