or Connect

Posts by mdl

Yeah it's plain stupid for anyone hoping to break 80 to use these rules.  It makes some sense to me for players playing in triple digits who aren't trying to get better or really play the full challenging sport but just like hitting the ball around the course and hitting a few good shots per round and hanging with friends.  Less complicated for them and faster pace for the rest of us.
 I'm sure some of the ego stroking is at play here.  But just to play devil's advocate, I can see some sense in this for beginner/recreational golfers who don't know/care much about the complex rules.  Instead of getting into ill-informed discussions about nearest point of relief or when you're allowed to drop the ball on the line from where you shot to where it ended or when you need to go back and hit from your original spot (of course these golfers aren't hitting...
Aww, thanks guys.   It's all good.  Thanks for the pointer.  I've only looked a few times at new posts in the Dan plan thread here and checked out his site for 5 minutes once.  I didn't realize he's in Portland and has reviews of most of the courses.  I'll take a look for sure.  Yeah.  I'm gearing myself up for the rain.  Saving grace is that I'm moving from a very underpaid postdoc to a "real" job, so with my wife's income we'll finally be able to afford to get up out of...
 To be honest I mostly hear it used when the assumption is of electronic communication, usually email.  But I've definitely heard it used many times in a vague sort of sense just as a synonym for communicate with.  Still bugs me!
I've fought strong pushes or push fades (sometimes push slice with the driver, but usually straight push or push with what would be a playable fade if it started near the target) for years.  I've experimented with what you're saying, but it never worked consistently for me.   One of the issues that caused this was my hands were too high at impact and I'd come to impact with the toe down and face open.  At fittings I'd get the same stripe on the bottom of the club out...
 Haha.  Yeah.  I've never done 7 hours, but I've done 6+ on munis in LA.  Random weekend rounds, not tourneys or anything.   On no consideration, the most pissed I've been recently about slow play was actually a 4:30 round.  Buddy and I got two spots in the 3rd tee time of the day at 5:42am.  First group out was 4 old guys taking their sweet time, dawdling around, looking for their balls forever, playing 90s at best, taking forever on putts, etc.  At one point we were...
 +1 for that!
 Oh man, all the buzzy versions of simply saying you called or emailed someone bug me too.  Perhaps just because I've got lots of professional (and family) contacts in the tech world, but the one I can't stand is "ping".  Yes, people really use that.  "Sounds good. Ping me."  "Oh, you should ping John."  Seriously. I guess the users of these would defend them as umbrella terms covering talking in person, on the phone, emailing, texting, IMing, whatever.  But they just...
So I've taken a job in Beaverton, just west of Portland, OR.  Will be moving from LA in 3 weeks!  Looking to live somewhere between Beaverton and Portland.  Three questions.   Courses/Ranges: I searched and there are some threads on good courses in the Portland area.  But I've got a newborn and am specifically wondering about the best courses that will be super close to where I'll be living.  Basically, what are the best of the handful of courses I see in the Beaverton,...
Best ball to go straight is the one you don't hit with a slice (or hook) swing    Seriously, if you've got a wicked slice the only ball that could "fix" it is a non-conforming (i.e. illegal) one.  Yes there will be some difference in how extreme your slice is between the lowest spin ball and the highest spin ball you can find.  But a wicked slice is still going to be a wicked slice with the lowest spin conforming ball.  Fix your swing!  Lots of good resources on this...