or Connect

Posts by mdl

I'm not super crazy about either.  Gave them both 3 stars.  I like the clean designs and the color scheme.  I'm also up in the air whether I'd vote orange "Lowest" or "Wins".  If you're dedicated to not having the graphic design clearly signal golf book, I might prefer bigger font for the subtitle (and maybe author names?) and no graphic at all.   If the pencil's the call, I think it might make it look more interesting if the pencil weren't parallel to either of the...
Yeah, @Golfingdad is right.  I was hoping to make it still but some stuff has come up and the past couple weekends and the next couple will be busy and stressful as well, including next weekend when I'll be away all weekend.  So I'm not gonna leave the wife by herself all day again.  Pregnancy has been kind of brutal on her.  So count me out for this go around.
 It feels pretty good.  I mean, it's a practice ball, and it weighs half of what a golf ball does, so it's not exactly the same or anything.  But it feels solid.  Even with the lighter weight, it's made of a really hard polymer, so it doesn't feel like hitting a whiffle ball or anything.  Very solid but lighter is all.  With experience I even get some feeling on contact center face versus out on the toe.
 Another place for my endless shilling for BirdieBalls!  They give you all the info of a range ball -- trajectory, contact, direction, shape -- but a 3w goes ~50 yards, PW more like 30-35, so way shorter than an AlmostGolf ball but real info unlike a whiffle golf ball.  I stop at the park on the way to work, hit off a mat out of the infield dirt (you can hit them directly off grass if you've got your own big yard or you don't mind being kind of a dick and ruining the grass...
 I've read his original strokes gained paper (the one that showed based on the PGA satellite data that long approaches are what most differentiate players), but not his book.  But it seems to me that the out-putt on 20% of random holes (presumably with the same starting place) would be sort of meaningless, and almost impossible data to collect.  So I assume that means the average amateur shooting 80 will have fewer putts than an average pro round 20% of the time, which...
 This has always been something like my thinking.  It's not like throwing a baseball or shooting a basketball where you have the object in your hand.  You have to make one object strike another perfectly, so you should look at the spot where you have to make that perfect strike. But...  I played in a men's club tourney recently where by far the best putter in our group was one of the first guys I'd seen in a long time who looks at the target throughout the putter stroke....
 Haha.  Ain't that the truth.  I've definitely been beaten by old guys who use driver/3w to get to greens that I can reach with driver and a partial 60˚.  But their 3w was more on target than my 8i, so...
 Pretty much me.  I voted "Yes" because as a golf fan, my relationship with him just as a viewer watching him play.  I think his talent and homemade swing and power and playing style are fun to watch.  I don't mind the emotion, yelling at his caddy and whatnot is a bit lame, but hey, if you wanna cry after you win the Masters, I mean come on, I'd probably cry too.  But his extra Jesus-y vibe and speaking out for some of the opinions that come with that rub me the wrong...
 Yeah maybe that would need to be more like coffee table book size to possibly work well...
Maybe a sort of infographic, if you could call it that, inspired by the aim for the center of the green, an unintuitive concept you've said you tested and write about.  Something like a graphic/illustration, maybe from a 45˚ downward view (so sort of like the view they use in the graphic video hole fly-bys?), with a golfer in finish pose at the bottom of the graphic standing in the fairway, a shot tracker type ball flight to the green with the pin in the back right, the...