or Connect

Posts by mdl

Way to not even try to understand the point.  The point is not to say that rioting is right or that people have no choice but to riot like it's some kind of physical force.  It's that it's unsurprising and that it's disingenuous and fraudulent to sit in a position of power in a system that rains constant violence on a community through the very tool with which it is supposed to serve and protect that community and then react to violent reaction with righteous calls for...
Another thing folks should read: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/nonviolence-as-compliance/391640/ Key quote: 
I answered 0-4 because of the key word reliable in the question.  I hit my irons as hard as I feel I can hit them reliably.  I can add probably something like 10 yards to my irons but that's mostly by delofting and trying to hit a low hard draw, which is not a reliable play for me.  Of course I can unreliably gain distance by hitting it absolutely perfectly, but that's not "swinging harder".     Your point stands in that I think it's possible that if I cut 20 yards off...
 I think the bolded is the base assumption that I think is wrong and leads you to a general view I disagree with (though of course in many of the particulars we can all agree).  The issue is not that the police arrest people who commit violent crimes or run drug gangs, or that they have arrested one's relatives or friends who do those things.  The issue is that for the vast majority of residents of those areas who are law abiding citizens working hard and trying to get by,...
 I think you can go overboard with this attitude.  If you absolutely love shots from 40 yards and in, and get a meditative experience practicing short game shots, maybe practicing short game 50+% of your practice time ups your overall practice time and keeps you wanting to practice. Of course, I agree with the point that all else equal, a 70/30 short game/long game practice ratio is non-optimal.  But in real life all else isn't always equal...
Considering the posture, I see your hips and back knee coming towards the ball a bit too.  I've been working (much less than you, dry swings, super slow to speed) on this same thing, and I've found that in this same drill (going to A4, pausing, exaggerating the flattening, then swinging down), I want to push my right side out towards the ball a lot.  Been emphasizing the feeling of left hip up and back towards impact, thinking of it even as towards above the dugout, not...
 Hell, I'm 33, and if I were rich and single and unemployed, I'm sure I'd party a lot more than I do now (which is not at all anymore with a baby in the house).  I like good EDM and a fun dance night and a party and all that.  I just think it shows some immaturity or lack of personal development to have that be such a central part of your identity by the time you're pushing 30 that it gets in the way of the rest of your life (assuming that the reporting that implies that...
I wish I had the time to play enough to burn out.  And until I had my daughter (11 months ago), I was playing once a week and practicing 2-5x per week, and that wasn't nearly enough to burn me out.  And I lived in LA, so there was no offseason.  I did that year round.   I could see getting burned out and needing to take occasional breaks with a full time job and maybe 4-5 rounds per week plus practice sessions.  I could easily see doing 2-3 rounds per week plus practice...
To people who shrug this kind of thing off as, sure there are a few bad apples in the police, just like in any profession, I'd recommend reading http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2015/04/21/skin-im-ive-interrogated-police-50-times-im-black/.  It's by a Canadian, but the issue is the same here.  The point is that it's a cultural problem, both society wide and among the police, and these filmed police abuses are just the visible tip of a much bigger iceberg that...
So I'm totally in agreement with the general 65/25/10 rule espoused around here, where short game + putting is only ~35% of practice time.  Honestly over my golf lifetime it's probably been more like only ~20% of my practice time.   And of course I don't know if Breed is right, but if he is I'd say it's pretty much a known fact that the biggest shot differentials among pros are with full shots, so they're doing it wrong.   BUT...  I wonder actually if the majority of...