or Connect

Posts by mdl

The most annoying business buzz word, without question, is disrupt.  As in, I'm gonna disrupt my swing process and leap frog to a new level.   In writing I overuse the word basically an embarrassing amount.
 Yeah I've never liked this either.  The worst I've seen was a few holes on a Pete Dye course where basically there were 2-3 very small flat "islands" in the fairway, and if you hit pretty much anywhere else in the fairway you ended up with a mediocre or worse result.
I voted no, but I've become a big fan.  I always like the guy, seemed like a nice dude as far as you can tell these things.  And I liked that he was an elite athlete who had his own swing and just made it work through talent and athletic ability.   But I've become an even bigger fan because of how he got to this year.  IMO, it takes a certain combo of athletic drive and humility to realize that you've reached a ceiling and that you need to make some changes to how you...
One thing I'll throw out there is that given Tiger's very analytic about his own game, he surely knows that, per Broadie's work, a very large percentage of his strokes gained on the competition in his glory days was from full irons (150-225 yard shots).  I'm sure he knows that if he could get his back and swing right that he can still dominate (5 wins last year anyone) taking a further 10 yards off his driver and then dominating everyone with full iron shots.  I find it...
Just caught the back nine of the final groups on Sunday.  But man, what a finish!  Was a bit bummed Fowler faded.  Even 3-putted 18 to finish T3 instead of T2.  Am looking forward to him turning his new swing and majors excellence into a win.   But it was fun to see Rory win one with a whole group of the best in the world chasing him until the end, birdieing late to put it away, as opposed to just running away with it and only having to cruise to the finish.  Woulda been...
So I was gonna come back after a cooling off period and ask a non-angry question. But it looks like it's been mostly answered.  I was caught up in what I perceived as a belief that the right thing to do is to pay for damages.  It may not have sounded like it cause I was (admittedly a bit pissily) arguing against the suggestion that I'm morally (if not always legally) incurring huge financial risk by choosing to play a course where some holes have very close houses.  And...
So is there no case where a person who puts themselves or their property at risk ever has to take responsibility?  What if I convinced a course owner that it would make their course novel and distinctive if their signature hole had a house directly in the middle of the fairway at 220 yards.  I bought the land around my on fairway house from the course, so it's off course property.  I don't put up any screens or special glass.  Golfers are responsible for breaking windows...
 God this is maddening.  You're blinded by the brilliant light of your sanctimonious self-regard.  You can't respond to the distinction I made, so you just ignore what I actually wrote and pile on the self-important sanctimony.
 Okay.  If it's so hard,  I'll spell it out for you. Case 1) A person is going about their business, driving wherever they're going.  For all I know they may not even know they're driving by a golf course.  Regardless, they've chosen this road because it's the best way to get where they're going.  I have no right to unilaterally declare using a particular a public road incurs further risk from my golf ball. I'm choosing to play a game that has absolutely nothing to do with...
 Yeah.  When one of us hits a nice drive on 18 at Rancho Park, our joke is, "Don't hit a Patricia".  As in, don't snap hook a longish club going for it in two onto Patricia Ave. I agree with you.  If you hit a car driving on the street that's your responsibility.  You walk over as they stop and offer to pay for the damage (hopefully their insurance covers it and you're just out a deductible).  Seems obvious how this is different than hitting a house lining a fairway.