or Connect

Posts by mdl

The shot zone stuff in the 2nd half of LSW will definitely help with this.  If you're a thinking golfer, you've considered the material there in some way, but it lays out a great framework for considering hole strategy in a clear, consistent, effective way. Great that you have a good HS golf coach and good peers.  Playing with low single digit guys is definitely helpful in improving quickly.  I don't know a ton about that world but it seems like lots of high school...
The mental game and course management is obviously important (read Lowest Score Wins). But as a player averaging close to 100, your biggest problem is ball-striking, or your full swing. You can manage your way to scoring better than you "should" based on your ball striking ability, but that's not what's going to lead to the major improvement you're looking for. You seem to know this, as a bunch of your goals are around improving ball striking with particular clubs. One...
I use basically the technique @mvmac linked to.  I keep the "float-load" and generally softer/quieter body and arms feel of a pitch shot but lengthen out the back swing as required.  Like in the demo at the link, I can take it very close to full swing angle back (so definitely past A3, arm parallel to ground on backswing), but with that feel/style hit it significantly shorter than a regular mechanics full swing.   For instance, my stock 60˚ with a full swing carries...
I agree with the par doesn't matter thing.  Though it can be slightly annoying as a viewer when there are a bunch of holes that average 4.5 or 3.5 strokes and you're not actually sure unless you've been watching the whole tournament (or they display the hole average on the telecast) whether par is relatively average for the hole or with a par the player is actually losing (or gaining) 1/2 stroke versus the field.   But in general I like the super long par 4s.  I like...
Well I like short par 5s to finish cause my +/- hole average on par 5s is significantly lower than for par 4s or par 3s :-)  Then I prefer par 4s cause my +/- is a bit lower for par 4s than par 3s.   Basically I prefer to feel like at least I'm finishing strong (after a full round that's inevitably disappointing from a scoring point of  view) rather than losing strokes on the last hole!  But this isn't a super strong preference.  If it's a good course and the 18th is a...
A lot of pulls at this point?  Current fix for that?  Question motivated by the fact that I've had troubles pulling the ball as well when I try to exaggerate the flattening at the top.
I've been just on the dry swings in the back yard regimen recently, but I've been doing this drill a lot, and even with two hands on the club am trying to concentrate on the right hand driving the swing, with the left hand only there for stabilization.  I think you could play passably this way!
I agree with @Dave2512 that most courses already have holes like this.  Some short (sometimes driveable) par 4s, some longer par 4s, some long par 3s, and some shorter (reachable for some) par 5s.  Between all those it seems like you test clubs through the bag already.
 The key word was thin.  With short irons you can easily hit an ugly thin one 20 extra yards.  Yes, without monster wind, it would be incredibly rare if you average 135 to hit a flush shot 155.
I have this same problem, and I've only ever succeeded at times at least in getting steep-steep, rather than flat-steep (we're going for steep-flat). The thing that helps me with that is keeping my hands a little deeper from A1 to A2. When I let my hands push out on the take away it encourages me to roll my front arm too much/incorrectly (in the direction that pulls my left triceps away from my chest, relatively)/ This encourages raising my front shoulder, flattening...