or Connect

Posts by mdl

Well I answered above, but I'm a huge birdie ball advocate, so I'll vote for those.  Though I vote for them largely because they give great feedback while going way shorter than almost golf balls, so if you've got 4 acres and don't mind pretending your par 4s and 5s are dog legs that you can't cut, you could do the almost golf balls.   But anyway, I hit my 24˚ 4i ~200+.  In dead wind I'll hit birdie balls maybe 35 yards with a PW, 3w maybe 50?  I'm not 100% sure on...
 Yeah, although it's no certainty that the OP deserves it.  Sure, 155 is a solid 7i yardage for a lot of players, but if you're flipping and hitting super sky balls, I'd say that's not a perfect shot, or even a super desirable one, regardless of the distance.  I mean, there are worse misses to have (push fade two fairways over? Or is that just me...), but the flipped sky ball is definitely worth fixing.
 Ha. My only round since the baby was the weekend we were down at the in-laws. I'd push for this really hard but ironically my best golf buddy's co-ed baby shower (with a country club theme, yes he's cheesy) is that day 10-1.  So I'm out for this.  Fall is a real possibility though.  Too bad this is the one down in SD.
 Yeah I'm exactly the same.  Just was noting you can hit runners using the bounce with the right club.
  To be fair, a lot of posts on this thread are advocating runners with lower lofted clubs, and you can hit a shot that will come out low and run further than it will fly with a 9i and still use the bounce. Off topic, I've never understood the alternate definition of the chip shot as one that runs more than it flies (as opposed to the common one on TST, pitch=bounce, chip=leading edge).  Handle forward, steep AoA, lead with the edge has always been a spinny shot for me.  I...
 That's funny cause that's my favorite situation for a mid-high hop and stop pitch with my 60˚.  Into a pretty significant uphill I'm pretty confident I can get my 60˚ to hop and stop or trickle from any decent lie.  I love that shot cause it takes one of the variables out of the equation (how's it going to roll).  My putt is pretty much going to be exactly the length of how much I miss my landing spot by.  I'm no short game sniper but with a 10-15 yard shot I've got a...
One more vote for your biggest problem probably not being chipping as far as not getting below 80.  If you're only hitting 5-6 GIR you could have a pro short game and still not be breaking 80 most of the time.   But, you can definitely shave a stroke or two with improved short game.  I've never used longer clubs around then green.  Just never got comfortable with distance control going for things like 3:1 or 5:1 rollout to fly ratios.  For me it's just practice....
I think you'll get differing opinions on this.  Personally I've only very recently begun working at all on lower, running shots around the green  So on the course I'm not confident in the style of shot you're talking about at all.  So unless my lie dictates otherwise, or I've been pitching it really poorly and just want to mix it up, around the green I almost exclusively use my stock pitch with my 60˚.  That's probably a mid to mid-high trajectory for a 60˚ shot.   But...
Two things have helped me.  The first is if flying the back elbow is one of the problems leading to an over swing.  I actually made a loop of rope of the size that would be taught but not cinching when put just above my elbows at setup.  Of course in the real swing your elbow will get a bit further apart at A4 and in the down swing, but making some swings (with a ball) with the loop on really helped me get a feel for what tight elbows at the top really felt like even...
I voted a shot here or there.  Obviously it depends somewhat on the course.  If there are lots of blind shots, then it might hurt a ton.  Also, if there are a lot of "thinking" holes where you've gotta make serious risk/reward decisions, it could hurt more.  For example, my long club tee yardages are fairly variable, with the total distance I get for each of those clubs off the tee depending on how well I strike it, shot shape, and on course and weather conditions.  Are...