or Connect

Posts by mdl

I've only shopped extensively at my local Roger Dunn, but all the guys I've interacted with there have all definitely been golfers and have at least solid knowledge.  Of course, I'm not a huge equipment hound and don't know a ton about, say, various aspects of fitting a shaft, but I've never heard anything at all on the level of the story the OP told.  That's just crazy.
Are you working on some particular swing change or minor mechanical issue or something?  I've run into this problem before where I'm distracted half trying to hit the ball and half trying to see if I'm hitting good positions (as far as you can tell from the shadow).
 Ha.  Not the first time.  When writing (or speaking, frankly) I'm quite good at going on too long while further confusing the issue.
 Hmm...  Confusion on definitions?  I think you're recommending what I was proposing?  I was just saying that when I first tried things like this I would take my stock setup, then open my stance and open the club face by rolling my wrists, essentially setting up with a stronger grip and a more open club face compared to stock (when trying to hit a cut).  Then if I tried to take my stock swing I'd readjust back to my normal level of strong/weak grip by impact, closing the...
 I definitely agree with wanting the ability to edit each shot after the round, and that there should be at least an option to have it presented as a big grid, one column per shot, maybe a blank column between holes, or alternating white background light gray background or something, one row per piece of info collected. I disagree with emphasizing that as a primary data entry method.  Sure, on the app it would be nice for guys like you to allow you to press a button to...
 So you recommend always taking the same grip (at least on non-specialty shot full swings), and just adjusting face angle and setup and trying to train yourself to bring it back to impact at that same angle? I proposed slight grip adjustments cause that method's never worked super well for me, especially when going for a really big cut or draw with a significantly opened or closed stance.  With the regular grip method those shots too often end up as pulls, maybe with...
This looks awesome!  I currently use GolfShot free version cause there's a pricey monthly cost to cover the GPS and course mapping that comes with the paid version, but I only want better stats.  Just added the course I played yesterday so I could start a round there to see what's on offer.  Didn't go all the way through so I couldn't check exactly what stats and info you offer at the end, but if you offer stats on all the info you collect, I am PUMPED.   Just for...
 Of course, it's probably a good life skill to be able to maintain some perspective and control of yourself and your emotions generally, but that's definitely a skill you need to develop for the golf course.  If a bad mishit on the range makes you angry and disengaged enough you just throw a ball down wherever and smack at it, there is a 100% chance your mental game is costing you tons of strokes out on the course.  Calm, patient, smart, think only of the next shot, not...
 I totally agree with this in general, but shaping around a tree isn't necessarily a hero shot.  It's not that uncommon to miss the fairway just a tad and be in a situation where a not too big draw or fade can get you on the green but if you hit it straight it's not a terrible miss.  In fact, I had a situation like this yesterday where I needed to hit a kind of knock down fade to hit the green.  I gave it a go, successfully hit the low trajectory about the right distance...
On hitting fat on the downslopes.  I know Michael Breed is much aligned around here, and I don't have cable anymore anyway so I never watch TGC anymore.  But one thing I randomly picked up from him years ago that's worked well for me is the following.   Align your shoulders as much as possible with the slope (within reason).  Then, on an uphill lie, play the ball a bit further back in your stance.  Play the ball a bit further forwards in your stance on a downhill lie....