or Connect

Posts by mdl

I always use my TST marker.  I like the two sides method to remind yourself if you've had to move your mark for another player.  I like the TST logo, so I use that as my default and switch to the other side if I move the marker.
 I also tend to get a bit more distance when I'm hitting draws.  But I'm not sure I agree with this.  A bunch of the big hitters on tour play the fade with the driver, and not all of them play the open stance, inside out swing push fade a la Nicklaus.  That's not conclusive evidence, but it definitely makes the more efficient biomechanics argument seem weaker to me.
I can't remember the term in the book, but the mapping of landing spots from 80-90% of shots with each club, or a set of representative clubs through the bag, helped me too.  I never did a more exact mapping with a monitor, but even just approximating it at the range helped me.  For instance, at the time my "reasonable" miss with the wedges and short irons was a push.  That upped my greens hit with short clubs, as when I miss left with those clubs it tends to be a big ugly...
 That's the idea for sure.  Just a minor note, if the green is 30 yards from to back and the pin is tucked back, say 4 yards from the back of the green, you probably don't want to aim for hitting the middle of the green (in the front/back direction).  You probably want to choose a club/swing that you expect to stop ~5 yards short of the pin. In general, the center of the green mantra is more for right/left aim.  Rule of thumb is aim for exact pin distance when the pin is...
 I'd say in general I can reach or at least get into green side pitch shot range on most par 5s in two, so they're where I make up a ton of strokes relative to par versus par 3s and par 4s, which leads me to like more par 5s.  But I LOVE Rancho Park (the home course you're describing) despite the one fewer par 5 than most par 72 courses.  That course really is a great layout.  So I guess my true answer is I just want a fun layout. And congrats on the reaching the 2nd in...
 Exactly the same for me.  25-40 yard bunker shot I'm hitting a green side splash shot with PW-8i.  Out to 70-80 yards and I'm treating it as a fairway bunker and hitting a full/near full 60˚.
I voted neither.  I have some sympathy for the dial back the ball argument, but here's why I come down against it.  The technology has simply increased the value of one of the skills of golf, that skill being the ability to swing the club faster.  A quick and dirty calculation from @ay33660's contingency table on driving distance categories over the decades since 1980 gives an increase in the standard deviation of average pro driving distances of 7%.  I'd guess that just...
 This is the key to the misconception.  You remember and feel terrible about those missed greens from 50 yards because you expect to hit all of them tight, or at least 100% on the green, cause you're so close.  You miss more often with a full wedge from 100 yards, but you're not expecting to stick every one close from that distance, so you don't remember the misses as so frustrating.  This leads you to think you're better from 100 yards than 50 because you feel better...
Yeah, I'm not as long as you, but I'm a big ex college baseball player too and have good distance. My 60° goes ~90 yards. But my 54° goes ~105, not 130 or something.BTW, I CAN hit my 60° 100-105 if I deloft the crap out of it, ssuper hard, and hit a slight pull draw. But that's a worse, less consistent shot than my stock 54°, so I don't.
Something weird is going on with your wedge swing.  No one has 25 yard gaps between 4˚ separated wedges.  You must be delofting your wedges, and your 52˚ worse than your 60˚.  If not that would mean you just get 20-25 yard gaps for every 4˚ step in loft through your irons naturally with consistent trajectory because of your crazy swing speed, and that would mean you'd be hitting your 3i ~300 yards, which of course you're not.  What are your yardage gaps between PW and 9i,...