or Connect

Posts by misty_mountainhop

As I said, I have little problem with "grindER". It was "grindED" (which as I understand it, Wie used) that I thought was a little odd.Enough of these semantics anyway. Hopefully, her golf will go from strength to strength now she's genuinely made a big breakthrough.
Although saying something was "a grind" has long been in common use. You're right of course about new words coming along all the time but I'm not sure what "grinded" adds when we already have "ground". I'm being a pedant I know - I wasn't that serious and it was obvious what Wie was saying, so job done re. the communication side.
Quote:Maybe a hockey-style short- and long-corner? Foul within 6-yard box - short corner equivalent, foul within 18-yard box but outside 6-yard, long corner equivalent? Two penalty spots, one at 12 and the other at 18 yards? On the subject of diving (or "flopping" as I'm led to believe it is on the other side of the Pond), I do so wish they'd simply introduce retrospective video evidence. Wouldn't stop the actual award of dubious free-kicks and penalties but, especially at...
Hmm. I was being slightly ironic. However, I have little problem with 'grinder' - at least the word exists even if its use in the context of a golfer is slightly odd and recent. 'Grinded' makes no sense - as you point out, what's wrong with 'ground'???? As for Wie's golf, as I said, more power to her if she makes the most of her talent. Shame about the undoubted side show that'll always be associated with her now but media outlets and agents all need to make fortunes I guess.
Personally, her use of the (made up) word "grinded" does it for me. Really?? Hate!   Seriously though, she's just a golfer. I certainly don't love her but then again, hate is far too strong a word. I'd rather not have the awful celebrity circus surrounding her, much of it before she'd done anything of substance, but accept she probably had a minimal input to that. If she carries on playing excellent golf and winning tournaments, so much the better and good luck to her.
Fantastic. Thanks for confirming that. Will definitely be ordering a copy.
Quickee question: can this be purchased for delivery outside of the U.S. ??
Some statement when talking about footballers! Pretty dumb thing to do (for the 3rd time) but I'm not sure what to make of a sport where being gobbed (spat) on, for example, is somehow deemed worse than, say, a pre-meditated Roy Kean leg breaker tackle. Football's morals have been fubar for a long, long time. It's not like he bit half of Chiellini's ear off. Great sport, shame about many of the participants.
Yes, but I don't think that means they have to be English. EPL big boys are buying up very young talent from abroad and coaching that through their academies which then qualifies as 'homegrown'.
Until relatively recently in the U.K. it was 3/4 of the handicap difference in singles matchplay. Initially, I, like a lot of others I know thought that going to 100% of the difference was going to be a big disadvantage for lower handicaps but after a bit of reflection and actually thinking about what's happened in genuine matches, it's pretty obvious that (sand baggers excepted and they soon get a reputation), giving 100% of the difference isn't that bad and the evidence...