or Connect

Posts by misty_mountainhop

Yes, but I don't think that means they have to be English. EPL big boys are buying up very young talent from abroad and coaching that through their academies which then qualifies as 'homegrown'.
Until relatively recently in the U.K. it was 3/4 of the handicap difference in singles matchplay. Initially, I, like a lot of others I know thought that going to 100% of the difference was going to be a big disadvantage for lower handicaps but after a bit of reflection and actually thinking about what's happened in genuine matches, it's pretty obvious that (sand baggers excepted and they soon get a reputation), giving 100% of the difference isn't that bad and the evidence...
 This seems to be the key issue here ^^^^^^^.We have the same in the U.K. Singles matchplay rules now stipulate that it's 100% of handicap difference i.e. I'm off 3 and I'm playing a 15 so I give 12 shots over the round.I love matchplay and play in that sort of comp any chance I get. I don't often lose to anyone at 10 or above. If it happens, they tend to have a very hot day but they're just as likely (usually) to have a terrible day. What's said above re. a lower handicap...
Ah well. Just goes to show you shouldn't look too deeply into the numbers (as far back as PGA site goes)....   Top of the shop in 1980: Trevino, stroke average: 69.73, # players within 2 strokes: 40 (to Dan Pohl @ 71.71)   Top of the shop in 2013: Stricker, stroke average: 68.945, # players within 2 strokes: 87 (to Kevin Chappell @ 70.927)   I'll grudgingly buy the thesis that today's field as a whole is stronger then. Still not sure I think that, all other things...
 Yeah. As that's the way to 'win' an argument...You played at the top in Jack's prime? And today's? Impressive. You'll say the same based on data analysis and stats...or on your impressions?Surely Jack's conclusions are based on in-depth stats and data analysis then? No? Good point.
With you on that one.
 Great analogy!
I would guess that we're talking about the amount of friction required to stop a ball slipping on the clubface for a given impact. Once you've reached the necessary level, however the face is treated, making it rougher won't make any difference. If a simple, raw face, even w/o grooves or milling is enough for that point to be reached, I'm not sure doing anything else is going to make any difference. Which seems to be what's being said here. Usual smoke and mirrors from the...
Great quote that. Where have all the great statesmen and politicians gone?
Ah. Of course! Easter vacation for U.K. schools... Seriously? Hang on to the result last year. That's usual though isn't it? As long as we beat England? Let me know when you manage to beat one of the Southern Hemisphere big boys.I'll leave you with......The Telstra Stadium, 2003. Wilkinson off his right foot, thank-you very much.   Back on topic. Bubba's a bit much sometimes but I've warmed to him this year. Seems a decent enough guy who plays some pretty unique golf. Who...