or Connect

Posts by misty_mountainhop

Had the 975D and 983K for quite a while at times. Liked them both. 983K bigger than 975D. Both excellent though. 983K a bit easier to hit. Personally, I don't like either of them as much as my lovely 983E which I've had for a while and will take to the grave .
As for weights, you'll generally find heavier weight has lower torque numbers as well i.e. more resistance to rotational inertia in the downswing. If you're blocking right a bit, you might want lower torque than you currently have. For driver shafts, I would rate sub-60g as light, 60-70g as "standard", 70-80g as heavy and >80g as Tour/light-speed swingers! Our assistant Pro has a 85g in his driver and although he's on the shorter side, he's pretty strong and has a quick...
Ouch! Nice end to the tale though! A mate of mine copped a 3-wood smack in the cheekbone from about 50 yards (it was a serious block!) a number of years ago. Smashed his cheekbone and knocked him cold for ~5 minutes. He was OK after a couple of days but he was lucky given how close he was to where it was hit from.
Check out the Aldila NV (sick green colour); it's a low launch, stiff-to-flex shaft. I tried it and it's certainly a lower launch. The shaft seemed a bit stiff for me; more like a weak extra-stiff maybe. Good shaft though. You might take a look at the new Graphite Design YSQ-st. Supposed to be low launch and GD make some of the sweetest feeling shafts around. I have the regular YSQ (75g, stiff) in my backup driver and it's an excellent shaft. Check out the Accra...
Well, I did it. Had another couple of practice sessions and it went just as well as the first one. 9-holes on the course didn't help either - 14 putts. Now the proud owner of a nice new Newport 2.6 and somewhat lighter in the wallet !
Yup. Can't get my head round a fade although I can do it when needed. I'm lucky I guess in that when I'm off I tend to hit a slight block rather than get into the duck hook area...that's not fun .
I'll second the shout for MacGregor's older V-Foil 1025M irons. You can get the cheap via eBay or online stores and as MacGregor aren't "cool" you can get a great price. Beautiful feeling to them. Best irons I've ever played except my Wilson FG17s which I wore out. Never hit Mizunos so can't comment but personally, they don't look quite as nice as I thought they might. Is it me or is their topline a bit thick cf. some other makes? How much are you willing to shell out...
Last few rounds I've been choking down an inch or so on all my clubs; not just the driver. Still a bit early to say but lets just say it looks like it's worth pursuing. My driver is 45" (I think) but if I could be bothered I think I'd have it shaved an inch. So far, choking down, I'm hitting the ball at least as far as before and definitely more accurately. Same goes for irons. Definitely down to a good, consistent strike. I'd be very surprised if anyone was losing...
You're right about the honour not meaning a great deal but you should still speak up. If they don't know they can't do that (yeah, right!) then the least they get is information that'll help them play the game right in future. He can have the honour but I'd still let him know he had just incurred a penalty (maybe more than one) and this isn't something that's allowed under normal circumstances. If you're messing around then it might not matter; I have tee'd a ball up in...
They did indeed; can still pick them up cheap second hand. As for feel, they're awesome. I have the 1025Ms (muscleback/blade-type) and they're easy to hit and the strike feels gorgeous. Picked up an almost new set last year via eBay for ~$100 .