or Connect

Posts by McGolf-Doggie

Golf is just one of those sports where lessons can be a good check against developing, and then reinforcing, bad habits -- but initial lessons need to be followed by several visits to the range to practice what you learned, followed by quick followup to make sure you learned it properly. I would up early in my golf learning journey spending lots of time at the range, because i didn't really take enough lessons at the right times....so I was perpetuating mistakes that...
I was reminded of the other idea behind Goecks by Dufner's coaches' comment: The "perfect connection" supposedly coordinates the arms with the body on a fairly simple shoulder plane (although it doesn't look like he uses a shoulder plane to me). The towel drill under each armpit, and the ball drill between the elbows — all fairly standard stuff — bring my arms closer to my body which means an adjustment in stance and distance from ball, and those are major re-adjustments...
 Same here as far as irons 8-5 are concerned. Wish I'd read this a while ago, but I had to find out the hard way. ... after a committing lot of ugly hooks. I have an inside out swing to begin with, so that just amplified the issue and complicated the process of diagnosing the fix, which needed to be more in my grip than anywhere else.  I didn't like — in fact I hated the feel at first — and I'm still getting used to it. ... Getting used to the feel of a club gripped so...
Yes,   If you're a high handicapper average duffer like me with poor flexibility, it's a nice simple system that helps take the back ache out of golf.  ( I have plenty of other sports that are more stressful on the back, I don't need golf to be another one of them)   I am also guilty of an over aggressive golf swing, for my age (52), plenty of strength, but a dire lack of flexibility, so Goeck's methods help me keep the swing under control, simple and more...
You can say that again.   I've been downed by a cold so this is good watchin'   They made it more interesting than it needs to be--but that's golf. The Internationals made some shots today (DeLaet) and we were duffing them. The Ryder Cup meltdown is casting a long shadow.
  I don't usually have time to mark them.   I'm lucky to have time to play golf.   And when I mark 'em I'm playing a darn course where I lose em!   Recently got a gift of "Maxfli Practice" balls — guaranteed no-one else around is playing those, lol, except my buddy who got the same donation.   if I get to play West Point next week, these straight-flying rocks are my best bet of not ending up in the bushes.
Tough rooting today, I'm a "kid" from the Tony Jacklin era so wanted to see my homeboy Rose win, or Bubba. I'd have been happy with either winning, maybe moreso with Bubba, as he's not so often in the running to win.
No.    I sometimes end up putting so far from the hole 30-40' that I have to take a hefty whack at the ball — can;t imagine doing that with a belly putter; I'd probably get a hernia trying.   Besides, I've made enough of those long putts with or at least some great lag putts with a regular putter, that I don't see a belly putter conferring any advantage there.    Ditto my beloved "Texas Wedge" technique. ... with a belly putter? Fugeddaboudit!   I also...
To get away from the swing thing for a moment, and more about the mental approach to the game and to practice, I'd recommend Dr. Bob Rotella's "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect," as an essential top-3 read.    It complements the notion that the most important 6 inches on the golf course are the 6 inches between one's ears — what goes on in that brainspace affects so many outcomes down the road.
Had a year, about 2005-6 when I made a number of even longer putts, 30ft+ on the practice green, that year — that was before I even started playing courses. All I did was practice. with a rather long shafted STX that I got from a church sale. I used the look-at-the-hole technique when putting then. But didn't have much technique, or even a sound mental routine for short putts —- mostly issues due to inexperience, technique and approach.  I also though the polymer insert...