or Connect

Posts by Open-Faced Club Sandwedge

Can you explain this more?    Observations about me, based on watching the ball and knowing the ball flight laws: Most of the time I swing slightly in-to-out, but quite often I do something wrong in my swing and it goes out-to-in, and sometimes quite severely. Much of the time I hit the ball and then the ground, but quite often I hit the ground first, and sometimes I hit the ground several inches before the ball. Sometimes I hit the ball with the face square to the...
Sounds like you tried to get your weight going forward during the swing, but are doing it from the chest/shoulders/head, rather than from the hips.  If you get your center way out in front of the ball, you're going to top it a lot, and fall forward after the swing.  You need to make the swing start with the hips going forward, but without your upper body getting out of position by the time the arms and club swing through.   I don't think I can tell you any more over...
What makes you expect that you should be able to hit a 3H 235 yards?  The average amateur certainly can't hit it that far.  I would think most touring pros would be pretty happy to hit that club that far.   Are you a very long hitter overall?  Do you frequently carry the ball 280+ with your driver?  Do you hit your 7i 185 consistently?  If so, then maybe something's wrong with the way you're hitting your 3H.  If not, then you should be very happy with 220 or 225 out...
You need to work on your weight shift.  You weight shifts back a little onto your right side in your backswing.  In general you want to minimize this, but you're not doing it too egregiously.  The egregious problem is that it stays there.  You never get your weight to move forward during your swing, and you finish with your weight still mostly on your right foot.   I'd concentrate on taking backswings where you don't transfer your weight to the right foot (you should...
Congrats my friend, you've got you a case of the shanks.   It's not a "slice" per se.  It's coming off the hosel.  That's what turns the club in your hands; the hosel hits the ball and slows down, but toe wants to keep turning, and twists in your hands.   That's why your other shots are decent, also.  The club can be coming through on a good path, with good speed, with a good downward strike, and with a square face, and it's a recipe for a good shot, unless you hit the...
I switched from carrying a 4-iron to a 4-hybrid, and liked it so much I decided to also swap my 5W for a 3-hybrid.  Love 'em, particularly out of the rough and off the tee.   -Andrew
Is it just me or does his back have a lot of "slump" to it at address?  Is this a stack and tilt thing, or is it just Wi's anatomy that causes his shoulders to look slumped forward?   I ask because I think I've come to the realization that I swing a little better with a flatter back (shoulders back/up, butt sticking out a bit rather than tucked under).  What are the pros/cons of back "flatness"?   -Andrew
Take a look in your video at your left hip.  Watch how far it moves to the viewer's left during the backswing.  At the top of the backswing, note the line from that left hip up to the head.  See how that line points to the viewer's right as you follow it up.   That's a problem.  A good swing will have that line (the spine angle, as viewed from face on) stay roughly consistent throughout the backswing.  This is sometimes referred to as remaining "stacked".  The...
Weight shift!  It seems to my eyes like the biggest problem you have.   You get too far over the outside of your left foot on the backswing, and you don't get the weight "posted" up on your right leg through impact.  All good players get up on that forward leg into impact.  When you're at setup, your weight is either biased toward your front foot (stack and tilt people especially), or at least centered.  It's never over the back foot, and thus you always have the...
Don't forget spouse abuse.  Since my wife is the primary limiter on how much weekend time I can devote to my game, I consider my inconsistency to be directly her fault, and take it out on her with physical violence.  It really helps me let go of all those negative emotions about my swing.  If my wife's not home I kick the cat around for a while.  Need to get me some kids.   -Andrew   (No, of course not really.)