or Connect

Posts by Open-Faced Club Sandwedge

I have battled the problem of leaving the club face open through impact in the past, and I have two drills I suggest (I'm no pro, but I did learn these from a teaching pro):   1) Baseball swings.  I don't mean the grip, I mean stand up and swing your driver at an imaginary ball pitched to the strike zone.  Bending over and swinging at a target on the ground makes it hard to let the arms turn through the shot the way they should.  Standing up and swinging at the...
Depends on what you mean by "solidly struck", too.  The further in front the divot is, the thinner the contact will be.  Where's the cut-off between thin and solid?   -Andrew
Looks to me like your grip is extremely strong, and as a result your club-face is very closed throughout the backswing.  Because of that, you're really working hard to hold it off through contact, putting your left elbow in a weird position.  Ball flight laws indicate that you did end up holding it off enough for the face to be square to the target line, but the effects of doing so had you swiping in-to-out across the back of the ball.  You also missed out on a lot of...
Quote: What method do you use to align yourself?  I've found that my alignment improves a great deal when I stand directly behind the ball and choose a blade of grass 3-4 feet in front of the ball along the target line.  Then I focus on that blade of grass as I walk up to address the ball, and look back and forth between the ball and that blade of grass while getting my feet set.  Only then do I lift my head and look back at the target.  The picture you get when you're...
PW - 44 GW - 49 SW - 54.14 LW - 58.08   PW and GW came with my irons, and I don't really consider them wedges, I think of them as short irons.  Especially since the PW is so strong; I've been considering getting it bent a degree weaker to even out the 9i-PW-GW yardage gaps.   -Andrew
If you're like most "faders", there's probably some amount of over-the-top in your swing.  It can happen if you turn your shoulders too early (starting the downswing by turning them open), or turn your hips too early (you want them to slide while your downswing picks up speed, and not turn until your club has dropped down into "the slot"), or if you cast the club outward at the top with your hands.  Sometimes it can be a problem right from setup if you set up with your...
My thoughts exactly.  Some people (maybe), can swing in slow-motion and still have all the right things happen as far as the sequencing of movements and the extent of each movement.  But I can't.  I have a swing speed, which is a result of the technique (sequencing, rhythm, and coordination of movements) in my swing.  If I swing wrong, it slows down.  If I consciously whip the wrists or try some other silly things, I can speed it up, but the swing breaks down and neither...
+1 for me.  Keeping the elbows flared out puts the motion in the shoulders.  What's left is making sure you take the hands out, which I do by using a very weak left-hand grip, and a very strong right-hand grip (reverse for left-handers).  The wrists really don't want to get involved when you're gripping the club this way.   -Andrew
Sounds like solid advice to me.  Only thing I'm not sure about is "tee off like you just made bogey."  When I'm frustrated with myself, it does NOT have a positive effect on my swing.  I hit my best shots when my thoughts are composed and I'm fully focused on the matter at hand.   -Andrew
The course I play most often has 14 par 4's and 5's, and I hit a driver on 12 of them.  I hit a hybrid on the other 2, in both instances because it keeps me short of water that I can't reliably carry.   Tight fairways?  I better hit my driver; it goes a hell of a lot straighter than my 3-wood!  If there were any fairways where I felt that avoiding the rough was more important than a 50-yard loss in distance, I'd hit a hybrid.   -Andrew