or Connect

Posts by Open-Faced Club Sandwedge

If a player is cheating, tell the organizer.  If the organizer is cheating, tell all the players.  What goes around will surely come around.   -Andrew
Small bucket of range balls.  Hit with a mid-iron first until I'm swinging well, then move to a hybrid, then a wedge, and the driver for the last 6 or 7 balls.  Then the first tee.   Putting doesn't need warm-up IMO, putting needs practice.   -Andrew
Chipping and pitching, definitely.  My full swings and putts make me look like a golfer who should score at least 10 under what I actually score.  The difference is what happens when I miss the green in regulation.  That 3rd shot on par 4's, or 2nd shot on par 3's, is usually very ugly.  Missing the green in regulation usually translates to a double bogey at least.  Up-and-downs are almost non-existent.   -Andrew
One thing not mentioned yet is that although your left arm and your shoulders appear to be on the same plane (generally a good thing), that plane looks quite flat.  Try to turn the shoulders a little more steeply, so that you feel like your left shoulder rotates under your chin and your right shoulder rotates above the back of your neck.  Getting this plane right will remove a lot of timing from the downswing, helping both power and consistency; instead of correcting...
I think his only crime here is exaggerating the closing of the face.  He's talking to the amateur who comes over the top and hangs the face open, and he's trying to describe the feeling of swinging the club the other direction (in-to-out), while squaring the face.  It's not so wrong, other than neglecting to mention that if you actually close the face, you're going to get a pull-hook.   -Andrew  
You also really see, in the face-on view posted above, the way he fires his right hand through impact.  I know a lot of amateurs flip the club (lose the wedge early and cup the left wrist), and that's bad, but paradoxically, a lot of those same amateurs are turning the hands over hard enough (not nearly as hard as the pros do, at least).  The result of holding the wedge and then really firing the hands through impact is a ton of speed accumulated at the last moment, and...
Sorry, I was unclear:Good players have the same impact position for any given club and ball position no matter how hard they swing. Clubs are different lengths, and ball positions vary based on club selection and trajectory control. But when a pro wants to hit his driver 280 and find the fairway, vs. when a pro is trying to crank his driver 320, the impact positions should look the same. That's why they can crank it 320 when they feel they need to; their swing is so...
Good players have the same impact position no matter how hard they swing.-Andrew
I think you've got too much turn in the backswing. Your shoulders turn well past 90-degrees (not such a bad thing, in some cases), and your hips turn well past 45 (I think this part is the problem). I don't think you can start the swing with the forward press of the hips, from the position your hips get to at the top of your backswing. I would try to feel like your right leg is more solid. The right knee does straighten to some degree in almost all good players'...
What makes you think you want your shoulders level at impact? In a proper impact position, the hips are ahead of the shoulders and the hands are ahead of the shoulders. This necessarily means the rear shoulder is low and the front shoulder is high. Look at Hogan: http://www.oneplanegolfswing.com/gol...ub-release.phpSounds to me like the actual problem is that you're losing your wedge. You can do this while coming over the top and have an outside-in path, or you can...