or Connect

Posts by Open-Faced Club Sandwedge

Ever play tennis? If not, then maybe this tip will be irrelevant, but I used to play tennis, and when I did I played with a one-hand backhand. A one-handed backhand in tennis is a lot like a left-arm-only swing for a right-handed golfer. The power comes from the body rotation and the extension of the arm, and you can't flip it, or the shot will be a powerless pull. The momentum of the racket though impact, which could cup your wrist if you were doing it wrong, ends up...
128 on a par 72. -Andrew
On playing lessons with the pros, Colin Montgomerie talks about how he has a short list of thoughts that have to happen for him to get set up and swing, and if any negative thought creeps in among them, he has to back off and start over. He says this is the reason for his quick pace of play; that he can't stand over the ball very long without a negative thought occurring to him, and so he has to step up and play the shot quickly once he's decided what he's going to do.
I couldn't hit a fairway wood off the deck to save my life when I used to have a pronounced sway off the ball. The more progress I make in fixing that flaw, the more I'm seeing decent or even good results from my fairway woods. -Andrew
I wouldn't try to lengthen the backswing in your situation. You don't want to risk injuring yourself, and your ballstriking would probably suffer from the longer backswing, at least until you've put in a lot of time working with it. Also your distances don't sound all that short. Shorter than you'd like, I'm sure, but not all that short.Also remember: there are more than 2 parts of the game of golf. Sounds like you're pretty much thinking there's distance and short...
Your swing looks very very good, but I'm guessing you don't get the power you probably should with a swing that good. I'm guessing that because your feet are so close together that I can't imagine you're getting very much weight transfer through the swing. Perhaps the stack & tilt devotees on here will disagree, since wiehgt transfer seems to be de-emphasized in that swing philosophy, but regardless it might be a good idea to get those feet a bit further apart. -Andrew
Google WIN.-Andrew
To the OP: instructors seem to have a consensus (my teacher says it, and Erik on here says it), that in order for the timing of the hands to be consistently right, they should feel passive. If your holding them stiff, your release will be late, and if you consciously turn them over, your release will be inconsistent and could tend to be early like yours. My teacher tells me "alligator arms", since alligators have those little tiny arms. The idea is to imagine my arms...
I think you're half-right; strengthening the right hand would mean the right hand would tend to drive the club to release more. However, I think it's a bad way to fix the problem, because it puts your hands in conflict with each other. The left hand wants to square the face up (or not square it up) the way it always has, and the right wants to push it further closed. What kind of shot you end up with depends on which hand wins the argument, and that's really not a...
Out of curiosity, how do you define "overcocking" the wrists? My definition is that I've overcocked them when the club goes past parallel, but your comment makes me wonder if there's a better definition.-Andrew