or Connect

Posts by Open-Faced Club Sandwedge

Okay, so apparently this is something that makes all golfers frustrated and angry, and not just me. I've played this course several times before (it's the one closest to my house), and this is the first time the pins have been set unfairly. If it happens again, I'll talk to them about how they're going to lose customers if they keep doing that. -Andrew
I went out to play yesterday, and struck the ball really well for me. I hit 7 fairways and 7 GIR, which is much higher than my previous best in both categories. There were actually 2 more GIR that I was just a couple feet off the edge. If I had averaged 2 putts per hole, I would have shot my best score ever by 6 strokes, and would have shaved a couple off my handicap. But instead the holes were all cut into the steepest spots on the green, and I had 48 putts. ...
If you're willing (and able) to drive 20 or 30 minutes, there are a lot of courses within range of Quantico. Lemme know if you need someone to make you look good during your round; I live in Prince William County.-Andrew
Sounds to me like you're opening your shoulders too soon. If you rotate your shoulders near the start of the downswing, there's nowhere the club can go except out to in, with your arms cutting across your body and finishing off to your left, rather than rotating through to your back. Work on making sure your lower body starts the downswing, with your shoulders (and arms, and hands, and club) lagging behind. Should help.-Andrew
Interesting. I assume this is to keep the feeling of the triangle between the shoulders and arms? I'll try it out.-Andrew
Ask a lot of questions, and listen carefully to the answers. If he says you need to turn your shoulders more, ask him how to train yourself to turn more, how much turn is too much turn, and how you can monitor your practice to make sure you're actually turning correctly and not just feeling like you're turning better. Ask him if the larger turn will have ripple effects to other aspects of your swing, and if there are pitfalls to watch out for. Ask whether you need to...
So, call me naive. I have not yet learned to intentionally work the ball effectively. BUT: Why would you aim away from the target and play a curve? Why isn't the answer, for the vast majority of top players, that they line up at the target and hit the ball straight? -Andrew
I saw a youtube video yesterday mentioning that Hogan was a believer in rehearsing the swing with the right arm only, in order to ingrain the feel of the right arm's proper role in the swing. So I tried it last night, and it's the most helpful drill I've ever tried. I was struggling getting the face square at first. So I swung with my right arm for a minute, until I felt I was making a coordinated swing with the arm extending through impact. Then I hit a ball, and...
I agree with all this. Most slicers (maybe almost all of them who have a persistent slice), come over the top. If the over the top move is the problem, then trying to "release the club" will only either make it worse or turn it into a horrific pull. But those of us who alternate shots left and right (I really don't know how many of us that is, but it's ME), sometimes have a pretty straight swing path, and a club face that is sometimes either early or late. When it's...
Well, imagine lining up to a golf, ball, and recreating your impact position for a shank. Sole of club on or a fraction above the ground, hosel touching the inside of the ball. Now, keeping your elbows straight, and without moving your trunk at all, bring the sweet spot toward the ball.If you really didn't move or bend, you can't get the sweet spot to the ball without the sole of the club moving down below ground level. A movement of the hands inward means a movement...