or Connect

Posts by Mr.Wedge

"Move", but not straighten. The premise of the thread is to straighten the knee, and not listen to sage advice of keeping it flexed.
Sounds funny..I knew it before I posted it. But seiously, if the knee straightens, the hip rises and has to lower on the downswing. Thats the "rocking" I referred to. The question is why? For what benefit? It's just a lot of extra motion which is full of risk. Isn't the object to whittle away all the extraneous movement? For clarification, of course the knee moves some; it has to in order to accomodate hip rotation. But any conscious straightening is counter productive...
That just simply isn't accurate. The hips do rotate, but reach a stopping point less than the upper torso rotation. That's the "brace" spoken of by Ballard and many others. Keeping the hips level in this manner makes it feel as if the right hip is moving down. The feel at the top is that of "sitting down" on the right hip. From someone who has dealt with lower back strain all my adult life, keeping the hips level and maintaining a solid brace on the inside of the right...
The knees control hip level. Alteration of hip level just over-complicates the swing, adding the dimension of up and down to the primary dimension of rotation. Straightening of the right knee is a "natural" reaction of resisting the "pain" of compressing the coil. It also encourages reverse pivot, because when the hips alter level, the torso tries to compensate in order to maintain balance. This is not to say you can't play by straightening the right leg, but it makes a...
Instead of thinking of the left arm, think of the triangle from elbows to wrists, and keep that triangle intact; the left arm will stay straight.
Well, any thing you do differently will feel strange at first. But it is important you are convinced in your mind before making such a change. Study the impact and set-up positions of as many pros as you can, paying attention to head position. You will find all great ball strikers stay behind the ball throughout the swing til after impact. In answer to your question, pay very close attention to your right knee and foot. Make sure you stay on the inside of that foot going...
It's been interesting to read through this thread, and good to see your improvement. Of particular note, since taking lessons, it looks as if your ball position is a bit more forward in your stance, which is a good thing; I am of the opinion it should be further forward still, no further back than midway, so that your head is clearly behind the ball. If you will go back and check your videos, you will note your head actually gets in front of the ball at impact. This is...
1) Clear mental concept of the action to be performed. 2) Grip and Posture. 3) Leverage. 4) Coil compression. 5) Viable Range of Motion. 6) Levels. 7) Swing radius. Some of these terms are likely unfamiliar to most readers, but I believe if these 7 fundamentals are learned and employed, balance will be achieved and all thoughts of "sequencing" become irrelevant, allowing for free and authoritative swinging.
No, no more knuckleballs Zeph, but watch out, here comes a hanging curve. Watching yourself in mirrors and monitors does not teach you to SWING. It teaches you to place the club in a predetermined position. It will frustrate you because you will be depending upon the small muscles of the hands and arms to develop feel. Once again, not saying you can't learn that way, it is just a very hard way to learn. Golf is a game of feel. When you are on the course, that is all you...
It helps to understand ball flight in order to figure out how to fade or draw. At relative clubhead speed (75 to 120 mph), launch direction is determined roughly by 2/3 face angle and 1/3 clubhead direction. The slower the speed, the more face angle will impact launch direction, but the variences are so small it is safe to figure 1/3 2/3 for any full shot. What this means is, in order to hit a draw, path must be in/out with the face open to the target but closed to the...