or Connect

Posts by mirv

shot 75 in the club championship today, which was good enough for 2nd place in 1st flight.
77 on my home course today (par 72, 6300 yards).  our club championship is coming up this weekend and it's match play, so to get adjusted to that kind of play, before i began my round i filled out an imaginary opponent's score at the bottom of my card, giving him birdies on the 2 easiest holes and bogeys on the 4 hardest.  i made it through 16 holes 1-down to my "opponent" before pulling my drive OB on 17 and taking a double bogey to lose my fictitious match 2 and 1.  went...
78 today (par 72, 6300 yards).  this is twice now i've played with a group of guys who are mostly single digit handicappers, and both times i've lost money to them.  i shot 77 last time and lost $10.  only lost $2 today, but still... i'm beginning to suspect the guy keeping track of the "dots" might be smudging the numbers a bit because he's always the one everyone winds up handing the money to, and i know he isn't playing more than a stroke or two better than i am overall.
this evening i worked on hitting sand wedge shots between 50-75 yards.  this isn't something that gives me much trouble, but i always try to find a day or two a week where i just hit about 30-40 little "feel" shots and try to make sure i'm not developing any rust.
i played a guy the other day who was a hybrid of almost all of the listed qualities.  he kept dispensing unsolicited "advice," most of which was either half- or totally wrong.  kept talking about what a great player he was.  when he'd miss a shot he'd get really mad, then when he'd calm down he'd start making excuses.  he never finished a putt inside of 4-5 feet.  he took a mulligan every four or five holes.  he played pretty fast, so i can't hold speed against him, but...
played a links-style course today that i've probably only played a dozen times in the past several years.  off the tee it's very forgiving, but the greens are all heavily guarded by bunkers, so a missed approach shot is usually trouble unless you're pretty handy with a sand wedge.  i just couldn't quite get a feel for my swing today, everything was leaking a little right and i didn't have my usual distance with my irons, but i still somehow managed to get in with a 78...
the single biggest help for me was that i started keeping track of my statistics.  every time i go to the course, on the scorecard i write my name on the first line, fairways on the second line, GIR (green in regulation) on the third and putts on the fourth.  every hole, i write down Y or N (for yes or no, obviously) as to whether i hit the fairway or GIR and then i'll write down how many putts i took on the green.  if i miss the GIR but still save par, i write down N...
golf really got me started on losing weight and getting in shape, too.  when i took up the game, i weighed about 350 lbs.  i was so heavy and out of shape that initially, even with a cart, i was wore out by the end of 18 holes.  as time went on, i started forcing myself to walk, and next thing i knew i'd shed the easiest 20 lbs you ever heard of.  over several years, i got my weight down to a little over 300, but in the past few months i've pretty radically altered my...
the last hole at my home course is a short but difficult par 5.  the fairway is only about 20 yards wide with a large bunker (about 50 yards long) on the right and a lake running the entire length of the hole on the left.  if you place your drive correctly, you've only got a 160-170 yard shot over the lake to the green, which is very heavily guarded by bunkers.  i hit a 7-iron from 165 and stuck the ball 4 feet from the pin, which i proceeded to roll in for my first...
played 36 holes today, 78 and 77, from the middle tees.  par 72, 6300+ yards.  the 8th hole (which is one of the toughest on the course anyway) really had my number as i took double bogey on it both rounds.  the other side of the coin is the 18th, which is a pretty easy par 5, where i went birdie-eagle.