or Connect

Posts by zeg

Bah, they're better than the Mac snobs....
  Maybe I misunderstand, but I thought that the video was enough that they *should* have been able to make the right decision (or, at the least, inquire further). As I understand the ruling, that's why they made an error.   I hate to introduce another hypothetical, but I think it might help with a subtle point. Had the video not been as clear as it was (at least when given full attention), would the ruling have been different?   I think yes, because then the committee...
  The video itself was actually, well, not irrefutable, but sufficient evidence to draw the correct conclusion. That's at the heart of why the DQ was waived! (Had the video been inconclusive, then the committee would not have erred in their ruling, and the post-round interview would probably have been enough to lead to a DQ.)   I'm in favor of the discussion, but I do think we're running out of things to argue constructively about. A lot of the leads are falling to...
Interesting info re: DQ for an illegal drop, Fourputt. I don't think I agree with that policy, though: I think any sort of willful attempt to abuse the rules should be dealt with harshly. But I don't get to make the rules.     Sacm3bill, I understand where you're coming from, and went through a period where I agreed with what you're saying. I changed my mind, though. The reason is that I don't think the equitability of the DQ waiver needs to be considered in any...
There's no reason to bring these hypotheticals into play here, because that doesn't describe what happened. Tiger did not gain a major advantage by dropping in the wrong place, so it doesn't matter what would have happened if he had.   Mordan is probably right that you'd be better off with the bunt, but I think a committee would still be justified in finding that dropping in the wrong place conferred a DQ-able advantage. The rule doesn't specify that it has to have...
  They may not, but they frequently do.   I've played a few courses in the LA area that have grossly non-compliant rules for dealing with desert scrub and environmentally sensitive areas. Like the case here, they are reasonably logical solutions, except that they violate the rules of golf. It's frustrating, but if they are enforcing those rules, probably your best bet is not to worry about the proper rule: as has been said, there wasn't one. If you keep a handicap,...
  Ok, but we haven't addressed a few things. In what coordinates is the point specified? Is it in latitude/longitude, so if the earth crust moves, the position changes relative to the course, or does it move with the course?   And, for that matter, what if, as you drop it, there's a massive earthquake and the point where you were supposed to drop it is now a chasm? There may no longer even be a point for the drop. WHAT THEN?
  Us guys aren't making that claim. The Masters committee did so, and the rules very clearly give them rather broad authority to waive DQ in the interest of equity, fair play, etc. While I am no fan of the powers-that-be behind the Masters, when it comes to rules enforcement, I think it's unwise to be as disrespectful as you're being in your post. It doesn't make your arguments any more convincing.       They do not, in fact, say this. The Decisions do not constitute an...
  Of course I've lost you, because I'm not making any sense.   I misread the rule when checking it, overlooking the "before it is lifted under a Rule that requires it to be replaced." Since I know you're not required to mark for dropping, in my private little fantasy world, that means that picking it up for a drop must not be "lifting" since you don't have to mark it.   So just ignore all that stuff. At least I got the penalty bit right.
That's why we hang out here. They ought to clarify rule 20-1 IMO, since "lifted" is a technical term in that case but is easily mistaken for picking up your ball in general. In any case, it certainly is advised, so in any case your error probably taught him a useful lesson.