or Connect

Posts by RC

I think the great thing about the Masters is the same thing that might be an issue with the PGA -- and that is the Masters sort of does things its own way.  The PGA does not control the Masters, but seems to happily co-exist.  As long as the Masters is conducted with such class and with such reverence for tradition, I don't think the PGA would want a show down with Augusta National Golf Club.  Plus, the Masters invites great players from around the world, the best...
I do not know why, but the PGA has never quite resonated with me as a major on par with the other three.  So I would be fine with a replacement major for the PGA that is a true world wide event hosted by different venues around the globe and a production of all the various tours -- but a bit more encompassing than the Players Championship.  It might even require two weekends so that a large field could be assembled and then qualified for the final weekend.  Almost sounds...
Some clubs are closed on Monday, but not all.  Either way, as has been observed, usually play resumes the first normal day after the tourney ends.  One of the shocking things you see immediately after a tournament is just how much damage is done to the turf by the gallery foot traffic, heavy equipment, and, as you might expect since pros are proficient at hitting to the desired landing areas, divots all clustered around the best places.  And it is much worse if there has...
I do not find it surprising Butch would coach Tiger, taking him on at his own risk. My surprise is that Tiger left Butch.
Classic swings:  Tom Purtzer, Steve Elkington, Greg Norman, Tom Watson Modern swings:  Rory Mcilory, Gary Woodland, Adam Scott, Kyle Standley, Nick Watney
Great post WUTiger.  I had not thought about mentioning the different bounce options for sand wedges but indeed I do have two sets of Cleveland sand and lob wedges just for courses with different traps which favor more or less bounce.  However, as time marches on, I have sort of changed my attitude about that and make a swing adjustment for trap shots from different types of sand.  So I am still firmly in the camp of 14 clubs, but do think the conditions might favor one...
Number 12 is getting a lot of notice for good reason.  The green moves away from you on the right side, so a pin on the left is a lot closer than a pin on the far right  (some Nicklaus par threes have this design feature) -- except the green is very narrow so the closer left pin always gets a lot of shots just over the green.  A strong draw is not the shot for this hole.  The chip back is not easy and you might get close to an unplayable in the steep rough at the back of...
Wind blowing like crazy... 3 iron stays in bag.  Calm day, the hybrid takes its place.  In between... the course determines the choice.  Still carry fourteen clubs either way.
I would agree and disagree.  The talent level of golfers is higher than ever, they have optimized their swings and skills to the equipment of today.  But... the golf ball and the clubs, especially the shafts, have changed the game completely.  Doral a monster?  Hardly, when compared ot where they were driving the ball years ago.    The same thing happened in tennis when high tech tennis rackets replaced wood.  Some artistry and shot making went out, but power and...
Number one is very hard and carries a high scoring average.  But it is straight away, and the green is fairly approachable, although slight misses tend to run off into collection areas -- you can save par with chip shots a little easier than some other holes..  All of them are hard, except perhaps for the par fives, and number one is up there and would have been an honorable mention in my list after number five.   Also, 11 12 4 are good choice IMHO.