or Connect

Posts by ProfessorGAC

Thanks.  I found it.  I just didn't scroll down far enough.
I was around a little while here, but dropped away and kind of forgot to come back.   But, i remember liking this forum, so i'm back.   I'd like to edit my "What's in the bag" but i can't figure out how to edit sig line.  I've updated my profile, but would like to change the sig line because i do have different gear.   Thanks in advance.
I'm a technical manager for a chemical company.  Trained as a scientist.  Still "do" science on the job, but really manage the engineering team for a $300 million dollar plant.  Not an engineer though.  Trained more in theory and less in the practical.  I just know the practical now because i've been around forever.
While i've never had a hole in one, i've a whole bunch of eagles.  I believe it's up to 16.  Could be off by one, in either direction, but pretty sure that's right.   Some of them were pitches onto a par 5, so only 30 to 60 yards out.  Still luck, though.   My first was on a par 5 at the course i played at in junior high and highschool.  I was 15.  I remember it was the last year i couldn't drive myself to the course.   The shortest par 5 was about 480 or...
He's got to have one terrible accountant.  Top federal tax rate isn't even 40%.  Now at 10% CA taxes, and that being a deduction on federal returns, that's only 46%.  The largest part of payroll taxation is FICA and that maxes out at around $120k.  So, he doesn't pay any of that on the other $44.88 million.  That means his tax rate is around $8500 out of $45 million.  That's under two hundredths of a percent.  So, he has to pay both halves.  Now we're around 3 eightieths...
Too long for a round to last.  The four hour round is an anachronism.  It's based upon four guys walking.  Most weekend players are in carts, the carts cruise at 12 to 15 mph.  Since most people, carrying clubs, walk a little over 3mph, and the typical course (including walking from green to tee) is about four and a half miles, it takes 80 or so minutes to WALK the course.  That number should be cut by a MINIMUM of 50%.  The goal should be to lower the time a round ought...
I'll participate.  Probably won't play, but would like to meet and greet.  I'm in the far south reaches of Chicagoland and golf is really cheap down here, so i have a hard time justifying playing expensive courses.  And to me, anything much over 30 bucks is expensive.   And, i can't walk the course because i have MS and RA.  Can still play some (finished 4.5 last year), but can't walk 4 miles carrying clubs anymore.  So, when i say 30 bucks, i'm including the...
I'm in complete agreement with the OP. I'm a little better than a 5 (CDGA) on a course with a rating of 71.3 and slope of 128.  I NEVER work the ball.  I believe that's for competitive players well into the plus category.   The mechanics of the swing dictate that someone who needs to hit it 55 times before they putt is someone who should do very little to change the swing, shot to shot.  They should just try to hit the best shot they can with their natural...
I'm with you.  I don't get the "i don't have sympathy for singles" thing.  So, if someone reallly enjoys the game, but don't have any friends that do, they should give up the game? I play alone A LOT.  Some of the folks at the course i like don't like to play as early as i do.  Only one of my friends plays, and he plays as many rounds in 2 years as i do in a month. So, when i go to the club, there is about 50% chance i'll play alone.  I like the game with or without...
Requiring walking? Really? I have MS and cannot walk and carry the clubs for the 4+ miles. I can walk the four miles, but not if i'm carrying or dragging the clubs. Sometimes yes, but not routinely. So, your plan would have me barred from the course, because i simply couldn't walk it. Doesn't seem right. GAC