or Connect

Posts by pedarius

Not exactly the same thing, but I was playing JPX 800 Pros until recently.  They were fine, and reasonably forgiving for quasi-players clubs, but they were kind of an odd 'tweener set for me in that they didn't feel as smooth as the MP line but were noticeably less forgiving than the MX-200s I had previously.  I wouldn't normally do this but ran across a deal on a slightly used set of JPX 825s in my spec and made an impulse buy, and, while they don't have the solid, muted...
Twelve or thirteen generally. My fourteenth club is a 5W, which I hit a bit over 230 but not terribly reliably. It's better for me to avoid temptation by leaving it out, though 230 is not a very common shot to begin with, so it's not much of a loss. The driver sometimes stays home to get me down to 12 if I want to work on my 3W and longer irons while saving a little weight when I walk.
1. Good contact on a drive that is hooking (or, before I "fixed" my slice, slicing) a bit then somehow hits the great left (or right) turn sign in the sky and goes into its magical second gear of sidespin that carries it a full 85 yards into the woods/water/third fairway over 2. Clubbing down to a 3W after repeat problems with #1 because only a fool could miss the 3W only to demonstrate with a chunk, top, etc., that I am that very fool 3. 20-foot putt left 6 feet...
Leaving aside some of the shots that others have named that at my low skill level would be nothing short of heroic and thus only occur sporadically (and without any control by me--pure luck), my favorite shots that I actually can produce with some regularity: 1. 3H from 220 out or, somewhat less reliably, 5W from 235ish that lands on and holds the green (easily my favorite shot and probably the only thing I manage to do with some consistency that gets me compliments from...
Seemore DB-4, replaced a Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 that is overdue to go on ebay. The Seemore is the nicest-looking anser-style putter I've ever seen, and it feels superb. Backup is my grandfather's Ping a-blade, which still puts a nice roll on the ball--though it does so in my office most of the time.
I usually have one 300+ drive per round, occasionally two, seldom three and never more than that. Most reasonably good drives for me are between 260-290, but there are plenty of disastrous hooks where I get too quick on it to pull my true average well below that (though I've no idea what it is). At the other end of the spectrum, shots I hit from, say, 70-150 yards out that land pretty much where I'm aiming (or where I THINK I'm aiming) are a mirror image: one or maybe...
I think part of the problem with these discussions (other than the fact that people seem to get inexplicably emotional about this subject) is that true average drive isn't a terribly useful statistic for high handicap amateurs like me. For example, on Saturday I drove the ball pretty well for me and was playing a fairly open course. On the fifth hole, a 405 yd, pretty flat par 4, I had a 332 yard drive according to my playing partner's GPS (a once-a-season occurrence...
140, with a 9 iron, in my fifth round of golf, for eagle on a par 4, the first hole of my Dad's home course. Since most of my shots at that stage were essentially random (nice to know some things don't change all that much), I looked all around the back of the green for the ball, thinking it had rolled off, when my brother went to pull the pin and found it sitting in the cup. Yeah, sure--I meant to do that. Didn't have my first birdie until four rounds after my first...
3W is a directionally unreliable 250-60, but I love playing that shot despite the odds being against me at my skill level. If I make it on, it feels like found money; if I miss--well, I'm just a hack trying a 3W from the deck, so it's to be expected. My 20* hybrid is a much more reliable 230ish but not nearly as much fun.
Iomic midsize is outstanding. Although not as large as a Winn midsize, it's plenty big enough for those with larger hands, and the sharp square sides really lock the user's wrists. Great, secure feel with lots of tack even on a light, relaxed grip. They can be had on ebay for a reasonable price.