or Connect

Posts by max power

I never played golf regularly for more than 5-6 months or so (a stretch in high school, after college, and then after the police academy).  My dad's an avid golfer and I would usually break 90 with the occasional round in the lower 80's.  I played a round in January 2009 after not picking up my clubs for 19 months and inexplicably broke 80 for the first time (76).  I was hooked, and as soon as Spring showed up in 2009 I got into golf avidly for the first time in my life....
I have a 16* hybrid and have used a 14* hybrid, but off a tee a modern driver is even easier to hit. Any issues you have are probably related to the length of the club, so the first thing I'd try is gripping up a couple inches on your driver.
I was just about to say, flop shots have been played for decades - usually with a 56* or 55* sand wedge.  I usually carry a 58*, but it still gets played when necessary with a 54*, 56*, 58* or 60*.
The guitar advice in this thread is quite a bit worse than most of the golf advice on this forum (logically I guess).  You can get a nice guitar at just about every price point above $250.  You either need to know what you're looking for, or make sure it's set up properly after you get it.  My American Deluxe Strat HSS is my "best" guitar (and it's really nice), but it's not noticeably "better" than my Mexican Teles, or my Korean Schecter.  The Schecter I bought used,...
Of the choices you have listed there are three that I prefer above all the others - the E5, PD Soft, and D2 Feel.  E5 has a urethane cover and spins more than the other choices, but is quite a bit more expensive.  The D2 Feel and PD Soft were my favorite inexpensive, 2 piece, non-urethane golf balls until I tried the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite.  Very soft feel, good distance, and more responsive on the green than every other inexpensive 2 piece ball (for my swing).  Not as...
Every bad golfer I've played is horrible off the tee, and horrible with long/mid irons; some chip and putt just fine.  Every decent/good golfer I've played with has a reasonable game off the tee and with long/mid irons; some have great short games, some are mediocre.  The mediocre/poor full swing game costs them far, far more strokes than a crappy short game or just a crappy day with the short game.  Additionally, those who focus their practice on their short game don't...
It's a competitive sport with a (relatively minor) physical component.  Lots of people have lots of conditions that will ultimately prevent them from competing at the highest level on the PGA tour.  He shouldn't be able to use a cart.
My guess is you're talking about Glen Oak, right?
If you keep pace then it's your business.  But if you move up you will speed up, and I think you'll improve at exactly the same pace.  I usually play the white tees until I break 80 at a course, unless they're especially short.  If after moving up you keep getting better and start hitting par 4s in regulation with  mid or short irons I'm pretty sure you'll find you've gotten better at hitting longer irons as well.  You're just a beginner, so there's absolutely no shame...
Even par (72) on a relatively easy course, 2 under (60) on an executive course.  Best round (imo) may have been a 7 over 79 on one of the hardest courses I've played.