or Connect

Posts by umpiremark

Maybe it's the plethora of drugs I took in the '60's, but this makes no sense to me at all. Maybe someone can help me out of my flawed thinking on this.   For simplicity, let's use the face of a clock, where the target line is 6:00 to 12:00. Your slice is caused by your swing plane moving from 5:00 to 11:00. The ball travels from the center of the clock, over 12:00 and slices to 1:00 somewhere out there (for simple math). Correct?   If you back up your rear foot, your...
Yes, players in our league should always - and are encouraged to hit a provisional ball - if/when it MAY appear your first ball could be unplayable ... i.e. a hazard, crap that separates two fairways, whatever. We DO play by the rules, with the local club exception of hitting a second ball from the spot the first ball was lost without having to go back to the original spot (lateral penalty) to slow down league play after looking for five minutes.   In this particular...
Just to be clear, the league I am in has a "speed up rule" that if a ball not in a hazard is lost, you can drop from the spot where the ball was "lost" to save time going back to the original spot and slowing down the league. And no, he did not declare a provisional, as I understand today, he just dropped, having given up looking for the first ball.
You know, that's what I thought. As limited as my understanding of ALL the idiocincricies of the rules of golf, I thought I understood that as soon as you place another ball in play, that ball is in play. The first one be dammed, it's a "declared" lost ball.   But the odd thing was, if he DID hit a second ball, why didn't he go pick it up (where ever it was, 'cause I didn't actually see him hit again)? Maybe he knew he f%^*&^cked up and didn't want to admit it??? I...
Last night in league, my opponent duck hooks his first tee shot left, across our fairway over to #9 of an adjacent nine. Between the two holes are trees, tall grass, just plain crap and jail. He's looking for his ball forever (my partner and I were on the right side of the fairway looking for HIS ball). After quite a few minutes, "Al" comes strolling down #9 and said to my partner (I thought) that he gave up and hit another ball. At that same time, a foursome coming up 9...
From my slice experiences ... if I take the club inside, my next move down is over the top. If I get quick, and I get inside, my over the top move comes out to say hello and push-slice is my reward. I just know that from what I do incorrectly, when I do it.   If I get too quick on the downswing, the club gets there faster than my hands and the face is open (push).   "now i just push, and push it hard out right"   Obviously the face is open at impact. Fix that...
My two cents without seeing your swing ... 1) Make sure both feet are on the ground though the backswing to start of the downswing; 2) Make sure the takeway, your club head is outside (in front of) your hands 3) Rotate with your shoulders to the top, don't "swing" the club behind you (over the top move is next). 4) Slow down your backswing (sounds like you might be rushing) 5) Smooth swing through the ball rotating your hips and shoulders to the "PGA finish"...
This isn't a review of the book; I just got it yesterday. I "paged through" a few sections last night, but the book looks good - informative, helpful. I think Tom Watson is a classy guy, with that "fatherly" attitude and his book reflects that same manner. I did see in some of the chapters, Tom talks to his swing, his methods and then to US. the book has parts that says (in essesence), for you amateurs, you should ... ... ...   I cannot wait to delve into the book...
http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Tempo-Secret-Finally-Revealed/dp/0385509278   buy it ... use it ... you'll never regret it ...
"Not sure if it's still there, but Myrtle Beach used to have one called the World Tour of Golf or something like that where they had (I think) 27 holes which were just a compilation of the best holes in golf."   Yup, World Tour ... played all 27. Some replica holes are just cut into the ground that was there. 11, 12, 13  of Amen Corner is okay, but (like Hertz) not exactly ... 17 at Sawgrass was just some island cut into a hill, surrounded on 3 sides by water ....