or Connect

Posts by umpiremark

More important than speed is tempo. Best 20 bucks I've ever spent. Buy it, read it, use it.   http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Tempo-Secret-Finally-Revealed/dp/0385509278  
1) the pull-hook 4-iron left of the par 3 green that rolled all the way down the side hill; followed by a short 'pop-fly' sand wedge, followed by the bladed PW to the back of the green followed by a 3 putt 6, after walking off with birdie the hole before on the #1 handicaped par 5 ... 2) The smoked straight drive down the middle of a par 5, followed by another high, arching 3-wood to your "money" distance only to fat that 'perfect' club 1-foot, sail the next one over,...
I break the round into each nine holes and then into "three's." Because I'm a bogey golfer (for the most part) I break the course down into three's of par = 15. If I can shoot 3-fifteens, I shoot bogey golf, "45." Under "par" is better than bogey golf and so on .... After one round of three's, I try to move on to the next, just forget about the 16 or 17 I just shot and try to shoot par again (15). As you are a better golfer, perhaps play in 3's of 13 or 12? I try to...
I live in more of the southern part of Wisconsin (Madison - the Capital) but grew up in the Fox Cities. Played Royal St. Patricks for the first time ever (that's where we held the "Green Jacket" family reunion golf) and shot 43-41. Very tough but fun course. Across hwy 41 is Mid-Valee. 3- nines for a fun 27 holes if you ever get the urge. Not too tough for your handicap, some fun little holes, but a fair course. There's Thornberry in Green Bay and you have to play Brown...
I read a book, "The Keys to the Effortless Golf Swing" by Michael McTeigue; in it the concept of the "lighthouse" swing helped my game emensly this summer. Basically, stand in your golf stance, however erect, eyes and chest pointed straight out. Raise your arms to chest level and touch palms (out in front of your body) Now swing your hips right, then left - keeping a solid (and quiet) base. "That" is the golf swing. Shoulders and chest rotating right, hands (and grip)...
How did your summer go? Here in Wisconsin, I am starting to put down the swinging sticks to replace my weekend outings with shooting sticks as I get into hunting mode and exit golf mode. I had a good summer, actually a great summer. Started the year out in Orlando with friends, golfing on some fabulous courses. Shot 41 on the back nine of a Nicklaus course to end the vacation. Perenially a bogey-round golfer, I broke 80 for the first time ever this year (actually...
Thanks for ALL the input, friends. I'm pretty excited about going. Although, I wish I could take pictures of my experieince there and show my friends (rub it in a little too), but I get it, NO CAMERAS ... dammmit ... and to JWL1957 .... Rule #5: When near a CBS camera and microphone on a par 5 tee, remember to yell "Git in da hole ..." on the tee shot. I hope to have a blast!!!
Why is that? I mean (as a golfer and watcher of TV golf) I understand "clickity, click" right behind Tiger or Mick ... but what about a casual shot of them coming onto the green or walking the fairway? I mean, I can go to a football game or baseball game and flash pictures of the atheletes "performing." Other than the click, click right near them, I don't understand the no camera rule.
Thank you very much!!
I have tickets to Friday's round at Whistling Straits. I have never attended a PGA Championship before and was wondering if the board here could help me with the do's and don'ts of being at a venue during tournament play. Please. I understand no cell phones, no cameras. Is that true, not even the little cameras that fit in your pocket? What about my wife's purse? A back pack with food/water in it? Extra shirts or long sleeve shirt in the back pack? From what...