or Connect

Posts by b_lcky

1.   Setup perfectly to the ball every time (i.e. good ball position, hands lower to promote good posture, proper grip and weight balance)   2.   No mental mistakes (choose the right club and the right shot).    3.   Actually hit the ball (been losing about 6-12 shots per round due to chunks and mishits).    4.   Commit to every shot because every shot counts.  I shot 103, 106, then 89 in the first 3 rounds of the year by prioritizing 3 & 4 (and the 89...
Was anyone else inspired to crack open a beer while reading this thread? I find that a few 1-2 beers per 9 holes have no adverse effects on my game, mostly because I've stopped keeping score by that point.
Here's my 2 cents. Tiger wins. In tennis you have a much shorter window to compete against at your highest level, while a golfer can remain elite for 20+ years. While Federer has compiled the same number of majors in a shorter time, he is at the tail end of his career. If Tiger's career were 85% over, and he had only 14 majors, then Federer would win. But Tiger is right in the middle of his career with many years left to play. Counterpoint #1: Tiger has no Nadal......
From an equipment standpoint, the "6,8,10 rule" is a good standard to live by for green side chipping. The key to good chipping is to get the ball rolling on your target line as soon as possible. A lot of mistakes can happen when you try to fly the ball to the hole including chunking, blading, and wind. I read about the 6,8,10 rule on golf.about.com. You can read about it here. From a technique standpoint, locking the wrists is fine advice if you have a good lie, but...
As stated before, you may be coming over the top with an out to in swing path. However, judging by your feet positions after swinging, I think you may be clearing your hips too early and relying a lot on your hands to catch up to the ball. This isn't necessarily a bad thing if you can handle it (i.e. Geoff Ogilvy), but most will find that they leave the club face open at impact. When you open your hips too early, you are swinging like a baseball player and keeping too...
I have a feeling you might be setting up to hit your iron shots the same way that you hit your driver, but without specific details, it's hard to say. Try the two following things and see if you have improvement. 1) Move the ball back in your stance. With your long to mid irons, the ball should be in the middle of your stance. With your shorter irons, the ball can move back a few inches. With the ball moved back in your stance, concentrate on where you want the divot...
I don't want to overwhelm you with tips like bunkershot. While I agree with what he said, it's hard to focus on so many things at once. So, with regard to your swing plane question...You have flying elbows in the backswing and follow through. At the top of your backswing, your right elbow should be pointing at your right hip and should continue to point there as you initiate your downswing. If you want to maintain the swing path throughout, try to mimic your right...
I agree that you may be trying to swing too hard, but I disagree on trying to lift the ball in the air. "Trying to lift the ball" and "letting the club do the work" is a contradiction. With the irons, you should be making a descending blow on the ball. This is more obvious with a short iron b/c the ball is farther back in the stance, but less so with a 3,4, or 5 iron. Holding a lower lofted club on a course is sometimes intimidating, because you can't visualize the...
I don't focus on trying to see impact because that seems impossible. Instead, I pay attention to where my divot starts. It helps me to visualize the type of contact I made with the ball.