or Connect

Posts by Ignorant

As I'm living and playing in Europe I am following the EGA regulations istead of USGA but I am interested to understand those of USGA as well. As far as I have understood the hcp index in USGA is calculated by taking an average of 10 best rounds from past 20 and multiplying that with a factor of 0.94 or something. Now, that value is quite far from the player's average and thus from the 'most likely score'. So my question is how close to the correct one the hcp index of a...
No. From Definitions: Note 1: Stakes or lines used to define the margin of or identify a water hazard must be yellow. .... Stakes or lines used to define the margin of or identify a lateral water hazard must be red. '27-2. Provisional Ball a. Procedure If a ball may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds, to save time the player may play another ball provisionally in accordance with Rule 27-1.' So if there is a possibility that the ball may be lost...
I'm pretty amazed how poorly people actually know even the most basic Rules So, a ball washer is normally an immovable obstruction and a player get a free relief from it as follows: 24-2a Interference by an immovable obstruction occurs when a ball lies in or on the obstruction, or when the obstruction interferes with the player’s stance or the area of his intended swing. If the player’s ball lies on the putting green, interference also occurs if an immovable...
A plastic ball is not a golf ball, nor are any other devices designed to be used for practising (eg. Birdie Ball) and yet they are not allowed to be used on the course: 7-2/4 Hitting Plastic Ball Before Playing Ball in Play Q. During play of a hole, a player plays a stroke with a plastic ball before playing his ball in play. Is he in breach of Rule 7-2? A. Yes
It seems I need to yield in front of all these arguments and accept that Ollie should not have counted any penalty nor stroke after his adventure. No problem, I can do that as I was not convinced which route to take and wanted to get some reinforcing or new aspects. For that I thank all those having taken a serious approach on my case (which actually happened). However, I would like to pick up two issues in Erik's answer in order to start another conversation. 1) Dec...
Let us be precise. A player is not required to identify his ball by the Rules. However, if a player fails to do so and playes with a wrong ball he incurs a penalty. Furthermore, when we look at the definition of a stroke it says: 'A “stroke’’ is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball...' If a player believes that the object he is addressing is his ball and makes a swing at it, isn't he then swinging at it with the...
I am not buying that so let us enlarge the concept a bit. Your ball lands in a bunker and when arriving at the scene you see something white poking from the sand. It is barely visible but it matches perfectly with the trajectory of your ball and there is no doubt in your mind that it is your ball buried in the sand. So you hit it just to discover that it is a piece of a white plastic bottle. So, you did not make a stroke at your own ball, nor did you strike any other...
Why? Based on which Rule? How many penalties?
This episode actually took place, so it is not fictuous.
Happened last summer. An elderly man (let’s name him Ollie) with slightly poor eyesight was searching his ball in heavy ruff. At last he believes he has found it, addresses it and strikes at it. However, the object he stroke was not a ball but a white, spherical mushroom. What is the outcome of this? Is Ollie subject to a penalty? Does the stroke at the mushroom count?