or Connect

Posts by golfnz34me

So I thought I'd chime in and give my SLDR story.  I just last week finished up a golf trip to Myrtle Beach (21 years and counting!)  Tefore the trip I visited a couple of local golf stores to try out a few things; mainly wanted to try the Nike VR and Cobra BioCell drivers, plus anything else that struck my fancy.  Long story short, both shops were hell-bent on trying to push the SLDR on me, so I tried it out at both places.  I didn't like the feel at all, and had poor...
IMHO Ben Hogan was the greatest golfer of all-time, and it's not even close.  In his prime he was every bit as dominant at Tiger, against unbelievably tough competition in Snead and Nelson, and later Palmer and Nicklaus, without being born with the physical talents of a Woods, Nicklaus, Snead or Nelson.  Became the greatest golfer of all-time by sheer force of will, and relentless determination.  Then at the height of career he is nearly killed in a bus crash, spent 59...
I would argue all day long that this is baloney.  Granted, when I've got a 4-iron in my hands the center of the green is good enough, but even mid-high handicappers have a lot to gain from precise distances to the flag from 100 yards in.  The GPS units can easily be off 30 feet depending on the pin position, and when I've got an L-wedge or sand wedge in my hands I want to know the EXACT yardage to the flag. I have an S1 watch I use for longer shots, but under 150 yards...
That link is not surprising to me, given that he was hitting essentially half-swing wedge shots.  Even at 50 yards the ball is compressed enough the engage the grooves, making the milling essentially irrelevant.  Where I would expect the milling to help is on the short pitch/chip shots where the ball is not compressed enough for the grooves to have much affect.
You guys are missing an even bigger strangeness in that image.  The dude is rocking a pull-cart!!???  Someone with enough scratch to afford 4K clubs should have a caddy totin' the rock!
  My friend and I will have our 20th trip to Myrtle Beach this coming fall, so we've pretty much played them all.  (At least any you'd want to play.)   I would skip Wicked Stick, pretty boring course.  Oddly enough seemed to play really short, which ran counter to the whole John Daly "grip it and rip it" theme.   Wachesaw and Litchfield are pleasant enough and a good value, but won't blow you away.   Tidewater has 3 or 4 of the most stunning holes in the whole...
  My vote would be for the Highlands course at Hampton Cove, in Huntsville, AL.  Part of the RTJ Golf Trail.  Beautiful course but brutal at times.
Off the top of my head, TPC, Tiger's Eye, Glen Dornoch, Heritage, River's Edge, Heather Glen, Tidewater, Wild Wing, a couple of the Barefoot courses are better than the Dunes. I never claimed Caledonia is the best in the country, just by far the best I've ever played.  I've only played a handful of the top-rated courses in the country.
I've played    Pumpkin ridge - Good, but I've played many better courses   Harvester - Awesome course, cheap.   The Dunes - Overrated. At least 10 other courses in the Myrtle beach area alone I'd rate higher.   TPC Myrtle Beach -Excellent, one of the best in Myrtle Beach   Caledonia Gold and Fish club - Should be number one course in the country.  Gorgeous drive into course, historic plantation clubhouse, 17 beautiful, distinct holes. Best finishing hole I've...
 Let me guess, was that course Farmstead?  Judging by your list I'd say you live in Philadelphia and took a trip or 2 to Myrtle Beach?  Am I close?