or Connect

Posts by oregongolfguy

I think besides the obvious getting better and more consistent at everything knowing your game and course management comes into play....more then people sometimes realize, something that I feel like I'm just starting to grasp.  I will try to give some specific examples...     Where my game is at right now, I am hitting my short irons and wedges pretty consistently, mid irons and up tend to drift right on miss hits(rarely anything left, eliminated the left side.).     ...
  I have really been feeling like my game is getting close....And this evening it really came together.     10/14 fairways...9/18 GIR...29 putts.  My speed was a lot better on the greens today leaving myself a lot of easy second putts, with the exception of two holes my pitching and chipping was excellent, also helped by missing in good places when I did miss the greens for the most part.  And the biggest part of my game that I am happy about is I am really striking my...
I have no problem elevating my 3 iron...but it is 21 degrees.  And since I've never swung a iron lower then that...3 iron it is.
That is definitely a big bummer and I hope for good fortune for all the PGA pro's in the future.  I know that our pro at our dicks was a great guy, helpful, knowledgeable etc.  This really sucks as all we have in central Oregon is one dicks and one independent golf shop....That's it.   
Pace of play can be a bother.  But I have gotten to the point where I don't let it bother me anymore except for rare circumstances.  I look at the views, look at my yardage book, visit with my playing partners, get a drink of water, make some practice swings working on different parts of my swing etc.. When its clear I move into my pre shot routine and let er rip.    By not worrying about it I stay in my game a lot better and it doesn't bother my scores, even though I am...
41-40 for a 81 today on a short par 71 course....I was very happy with my iron play today, actually, I think that it was my best iron/wedge day that I have ever had.  I hit 7 GIR, but off the top of my head I had 3 approaches that I excuted great but made mental errors on.  Twice I miss clubbed myself and came up just short of the green...but the ball strikes were great, and one I thought that the heavy cross wind was gonna push the ball more right then it did, I hit it...
I have a buddy who is a pretty serious golfer.  He got custom fitted at a custom fitter shop.  He ended up with a nike covert 2.0 tour with a Motore speeder shaft.  I think he was into it around $750 all said and done....I about choked.      Having said that, if your going to someone who has a very, VERY, extensive shaft selection for multiple heads then it may be worth it.  But most big golf stores have fitting carts where you can try at least 3-5 different shafts in...
The Par rating on the course is determined by the holes on the course.  4 par 5's 4 par 3's and the rest par 4's gets you to the pretty standard par 72.  A fair number of courses have only 3 par 5's which gets your 71.  How hard or easy the holes are have no bearing on this number its simply how many par 3,4, and 5's the course has.    Now the rating is what a scratch golfer would score on average on the given course.....So lets say the course rating is 72.  So basically...
  I think that a lot of people are complicating this a bit too much.....The further you can advance the ball towards the hole without bringing serious trouble into play is always the best bet.  From my standpoint the rough is going to have to be pretty darn horrible to pass up a shot inside of 50yds to the green.    I played with a gent of about the same skill set as mine last weekend.  The course was pretty slow, he was a nice guy.  We had a great time.  I bettered him...
   BuckeyeNut, you are correct in that there is a much bigger gap then if I had say a 3 or 4 wood in the bag.  And I do have a 3 wood also for the rare occasion that I play a really long track.  I here is what I have found for myself...  I play mostly less then 6500 yds.  While I am not super long by internet standards I can move the ball out just fine.  I average around 250 off the tee(that is 290-210 depending on ball strike).  That 3 hybrid is a tour edge exotics xcg7...