or Connect

Posts by oregongolfguy

shot 88 today....first round under 90 in my life.
The best was pretty easy for me....     I am driving the ball really, really well right.  I am only missing a couple fairways a round, and most of those are just off the fairway in the first cut, little harm done.  I have only missed one fairway with driver in the last two rounds.  I am hitting it pretty long also, the two really good ball strikes I had ended up at 268 and a incredible to me 284.  My misses are in the fairway 220-240 now..(this was good strike a couple...
I am in my early 30's.  Always loved the game, spent most of the last decade or so playing about 5 rounds a year...usually shooting 100-115.     This year I set a goal to get into consistently shooting in the 80's.  This may have been a little lofty, but I felt it was feasible.   First off I am going to sign up for evolvr, but I have been watching a lot of the video's posted here by the gents, then practicing them on the range.  And I have been hitting a lot of range...
  I play a sonartec SS 2.5 3 wood.  I love the head, great size, I would consider it shallow by today's standard, not small but not really big either by today's standard.  Real fujikura shaft came standard.  I would consider it mid flight, not a ton of spin.    I have hit it outside against plenty of other newer woods, I really don't feel like I am giving up anything playing it over something new.  I would imagine that you could find one in good shape for $50 or less.
  I don't post as much as I should.  But I read here a lot.  And I watch a lot of the posted video's.  I've been working on my game pretty hard, especially off the tee and the irons, iron play has always been horrible.   I plan on getting a Evolvr account setup.  But I have been improving in the mean time.     Todays round, I hit 10-14 fairways, 8 of 18 GIR, which is miles better then my previous best of 4.  And a couple shots that were on the fringe only a couple ft...
  The way I interpret both of those links is that better players have more clubhead speed.  And in my mind this means that they have good technique.  As my form is getting better I find that distance gains are coming also, not because I am trying to hit the ball harder or trying to swing faster per say, but because my form is better and that is generating more clubhead speed naturally.
  I am having a terrible time taking my swing from the range to the course.  I have pretty much decided that it is mostly mental, but I can't figure it out...any recommendations...     This seems to mostly be with my irons.  But it is getting to the point that it is embarrassing.  I can generally hit the ball pretty well on the range, solid contact, ball first, nice ball flight going where I want it to etc, etc.  I go out on the course and I seem to get all psyched out...
Golf is a funny game.....     I was thinking about this yesterday, if your one absolute goal was to shoot the lowest score you could then most of us "average" golfers should be playing the game entirely differently then a lot of us do.   Lets say shorter par 5 (because your teeing forward).  You hit a nice drive into the fairway.  You have somewhere around 220-230 to the flag.  there is no trouble really to speak of, at least no big trouble on the approach.  The play...
I play a 10 club bag right now....I play a pretty short course as my home course.....   1.  Driver 2.  21 degree wood 3.  5-PW 4.  SW 5.  Putter
  As someone who is relatively similiar to the OP........     I don't get to play or practice much at all, but I love the game.  This obviously puts me at a big disadvantage right from the get go, its hard to strike the ball consistantly when you don't hit balls very often....I have taken a couple of lessons and it helped alot, and to my suprise we didn't work on any big changes, it was just a few little things, grip, stance,alignment, and a couple swing thoughts to...