or Connect

Posts by Fairway_CY

I played 2 tournament rounds this weekend... and earlier in the week, I got in 14 holes at a local course.  That was the first time I touched a club since Father's Day.    Needless to say... I'm trending up... big time.     It's certainly no fun to be playing how I played this weekend.     Day 1... I posted a 97.  I had 41 putts.  The greens were MUCH slower than I had anticipated, and I had spent a majority of the week putting on my carpet at home, which was much...
Ugh... I had 196 to choose from this weekend.     I'm gonna go with this one...   Second round of a tournament (which I shot my way out of on the first day)... long, three-shot par 5.  I hit a perfect drive into the middle of the fairway.  I still had like 300 yards to get to the green, so I figured I'd try to lay up to a pitching wedge distance.  I hit quite possibly the worst 4 iron ever hit by anybody.  I hit about 3 inches behind the ball... while managing to pull...
Unfortunately, life kinda took over for the last month and I haven't had time to even touch a club.  I've been spending the better part of the last month running around for work and trying to entertain my kids during their summer break.   The last time I touched a club was on the final round of my last tournament on 6/21... until yesterday.  I decided to squeeze in some time to play yesterday since I have another 2 day tournament coming up this weekend.  I went to a...
My index dropped from a 19.3 to a 17.9R.     I got the restriction tag for the second time in my life.  While I have had some abysmal rounds this season, I've had 2 good tournament rounds on the second day of tournaments, which has led to the restriction tag.     In those tournaments, I shot 101 on day 1 and 85 on day 2... then I shot 100 on day 1 and 86 on day 2.  In both cases, I had little-to-no practice prior to the tournaments and, clearly having played the day...
In 22+ years of playing the game, I've got 1 ace and 3 eagles.     2 of those 3 eagles came on the same hole... an extremely short par 4 (235 yards)... the other on a shortish (479 yards) par 5 earlier this year.     Outside of the ace, none were holeouts.  I've only ever holed out from more than 100 yards once, and that was the ace.  I've had 2 hole out birdies from between 60 and 90 yards. I don't have exact numbers on birdies, but... since 2010, I've only made 38...
I can only tell you what I was told when I went for a fitting recently... and that is that the shaft, unless you have a swing speed over 105 (which you may) won't make much of a difference.  I kept asking to try an extra stiff shaft and he kept telling me that it wasn't going to make much of a difference.     He had me swing my driver (10.5* TaylorMade Burner Superfast), which was averaging about 235 carry and 250 after roll out... then he had me hit the Ping G30 set at...
 I agree... 100%!   In the instance of my post, I had been struggling with my irons up to that point and hitting them crisply was becoming infrequent.  My distances with my irons had dropped significantly.  The increase in distance was signifying that I was making clean contact again and compressing the ball properly.  I had literally played 10+ rounds with about a 10 yard decline in yardage until that round.   My distance control is typically pretty good.  Obviously, I'll...
 For me, it depends on other factors.  I shot a 93 in the middle of March that I look to as one of my 'better' rounds of the year.  First, I was striking the ball well... I was just hitting it too far most times.  For example, I hit an 8 iron from 140 yards that flew 155... a 7 iron from 150 that flew 165... etc.  Obviously, it was frustrating... but it gave me reason to smile because I could look at it and say that my range work was helping as I was hitting the ball...
Nice!  I think the longest I went with the same ball was about 24 holes.  I finished an entire round with it, and then later that week, I lost it early on in the round.  I don't remember which hole it was though.   Typically, if I manage to make it through a round with a ball... I'll put it in the 'provisional' part of my bag afterwards.  I like to start rounds with a new ball.  I won't typically replace it during the round unless it's lost or damaged enough to warrant...
 Hmmm... I've heard this referenced around here, but never checked it out. Thanks for the link!  CY