or Connect

Posts by WUTiger

If you get a nick in the face of a club, take it to a jewelry shop. They have precision grinding equipment, plus the skill to remove the nick without damaging the rest of the face.
A larger-headed FW will give you more confidence when you use it off the tee because the head looks larger.    But when the larger heads appear to catch on the turf, it may actually be a balance issues - not size issues. The balance issue relates to the location of the Vertical Center of Gravity (VCOG) in the clubhead.   Position 1 shows a VCOG which is high and forward. This would tend to give a hot, "power" low-spin, low trajectory launch. You might find this in...
Above 60 degrees with some sun.   November through February are pretty much out; I use this time to complete nuisance projects that might interfere with golf in warmer weather. I might make an exception if the day is fairly warm. 
No. 11 says don't practice 20-foot putts. I always hit a few just to get the feel of the green on a given day.    Four to eight footers will help you with one-putts, BUT, not practicing a few longer putts can lead to three-putts. The area Forest Park courses have several holes with long, narrow greens. Count on a couple of 50-footers each round.   Remember, this is the same Golf Digest that once advised us to sell all our clubs which were more than two years old.
Time is one big factor, especially for parents. During the last decade, adult time has evaporated as a concept. In families of even moderate means, it's a constant sequence of youth soccer games, chess club, math tutors and - in many cases - assorted church events. And, we're into the era of designer kids. Many families only have one or two offspring these days, so heaven forbid if Biff and Buffy don't come out perfect. Also, with our stranger danger cult, Girl Scouts can...
That's correct. The NG sets come in one shaft and flex (Uniflex steel), the same 4-AW mix, and the clubs are Cx3: all done in China. Head and shaft are made in mainland China, and the clubs are assembled in China. One shaft type, one set mix and one location is how you get economies of scale and lower costs. If you start offering variety, this drives the price up. If you've had major shoulder surgery, I would suggest a custom fitting. Getting what you need at the start...
The MP5 irons have Full Hollow Long Iron heads in 1i - 6i. I would contact Mizuno to make sure they can be bent for loft.   You might consider a JPX FLI-HI 3, which has a loft of 19* and a shaft length of 38.75" (same length as H5 3i). The latest  FLI-HI  clubhead, however, has more of a hybrid than an iron look.   If you're set on having a bridge club that has an iron look, consider going outside Mizuno. Mike Stachura has an article on FWs vs. driving irons in the...
I'm referencing a 7 HDCP amateur I play with on occasion, and a 5 HDCP (?) young club pro who played a practice round on my course before his PGA card basic skills test.   As far as "pretty much strike the ball like a pro..." This is a matter of degree. Every other round, I hit 3 or 4 full shots that a tour pro likely would find acceptable. But, a lot more that nobody wants. These two hit decent shots most of the time.   The amateur hit good shots most of the time -...
The Razr X NG is a legacy version of the Razr X. Legacy version = a reissue of a previous mainline mode, with slight possible head modifications, and fitting all with a Uniflex shaft. (Uniflex bridges R and S flex, more or less). A legacy version makes a great starter set, or a solid lower cost set which will last the veteran casual golfer for many years.   Because Callaway already has recaptured most of the R&D cost from the original Raxr X, and because Cw get big...
 First of all, make sure you understand bounce. A wedge has rated bounce, which is the basic bounce angle which is often etched onto the clubhead, and an effective bounce, which gauges turf interaction during a swing. For details, see Ralph Maltby's interesting piece called Wedge Playability. http://www.ralphmaltby.com/50 For specifics on the MG wedges, check out the GolfWorks site: http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MA0233_A_c2p_E_hpOn TST, I have talked to a...