or Connect

Posts by WUTiger

The "new groove rule" from 2010 was supposed to make it more difficult to hit spinning wedge shots out of the rough. But, I wonder how much this has been negated by the new 5-layer balls we now have. Then, there's the issue of distance. We hear all the time how better clubs and physical training have allowed golfers to bomb the ball. Besides getting more distance off the tee, players no longer need to  hit a 1 iron or 2 iron for long shots from fairway: they can hit a...
The founder of Heartland Golf Schools, in Ilinois and Singapore (yes, in Asia) has suggested a superb way to grow the game:   Have the major golf OEMs -  at cost -  supply children with a 7i, wedge and putter.   So, the set you found meshes with this idea.
2 degrees downhill...??? Whatever...   A major undetected problem at driving ranges is when you hit off of an elevated tee.  The practice range at my current course comes off a hill, so it is clearly evident.   But, the local practice range has a hitting area that's about 10 feet above the landing area for most of the range.  This gave me an unrealistic idea of how high I was hitting my driver and 3W.   I hit a super drive on a Par 5 at my then new course, and was...
Lately I've been trying to model Fred Funk's swing. We're the same height (5-foot-8), and he's a couple of years younger. Fred has a smooth shoulder rotation, stops back about ear level, and has a crisp followthrough.   I have a problem with overswinging, I'm working to let my shoulder rotation control my takeaway, and not do extra "hand reach" at the top which throws my balance off, destroys lag, delays the next full moon, etc.   When I stop about ear-level, I'm in...
Only thing I bought online was my X20 Tour irons. I had bought the regular x20s from a local shop, and had tried the Tours at the same time. I later bought the Tours from Callaway PreOwned, in part because it had a PX 5.0 shaft. (Few shops had any left except for 6.0 flex or stiffer.) If I wanted to add a wedge from a model group I had previously bought, I would consider online. Otherwise, I go with Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith and test it out before buying.
The addition of developmental tours within the Euopean and Asian professional golf systems is giving TGC more programming opportunities. I watched the Moscow Open this AM.   This additional tournament programming is very process oriented - you just get the cameras and a few announcers into place, and go with it. No real need for creativity.
Above was a post I made when this thread got started. Well, Tour Edge is back in my bag. For two years now, I have had the TE Exotics XRail 4W and 7W. The little extra loft makes all the difference in the world. XRails are not as long as some FWs, but are reliable and easy to hit.
If you buy new irons from a good golf shop, very often the fitting is free. Golf shops will do fittings on clubs you buy elsewhere, but will charge you a fee. If you have adjustments done on used clubs you buy from them, or clubs bought elsewhere, they will charge you for the adjustments. You can get some good deals on last year's club models right when the first price cut hits. Sometimes the club maker (OEM) will have sets remaining at the factory they can custom fit for...
Nice thought, but it likely won't happen. I moved back to the St. Louis area in 2002, and I saw a number of small golf shops go  out of business in 2005 to 2007 time frame - really before the recession hit. Part of it was demographic - these people had gotten started back in the 1970s and 1980s, and didn't have any children who wanted to run the shop, or employees who wanted to buy it. Also they faced bleed-off of customer traffic to multiple sources. Two different guys I...
We have a risky No. 1 hole at my course. OB left, deep-hazard ravine right. Deep valley from 150 yards out to 10 yards from green. Gusting left-to-right cross wind, sometimes a headwind.   If you hit the fairway and have a OK approach shot, you can get a birdie or a par. But if you... miss your tee shot left or right... OR end up over the green on a downhill shaggy lie... OR hit the deep bunker to the right of the green...   you can end up with a six or an...