or Connect

Posts by WUTiger

Related to this: Do you have the same thickness grip on the 3H as the 4H? If you bought them used from Tour Edge, did both come with the same grips? Compare the lie angle on the 3H and the 4H. If the 3H somehow ended up more upright (check specs chart), this would increase chances of a left miss. Finally, you could always have the grip adjusted using a clockface as positioning guide. As shown below, rotate grip so that the alignment markings are moved to 11 o'clock. That...
I used MacGregor MT irons from 1974-1994, and the set contained a 2 iron. I used it primarily as a driving iron. It had a loft of 21ª / 3i had 24ª / 4i had 28ª.   From 1994-2008, I used Pro Tour Black irons (a Ping Eye2 clone). Longest iron was a 3i, which was 21ª in loft.   For the next few years, I carried Callaway X20 or X20 Tour irons.  Both models had 21ª 3i, and 24ª 4i.   I later acquired a set of SLDR irons. The set has a 21ª 4i / and a 24ª 5i.   So, if you...
Not counting build-up tape, two other factors influence grip thickness: Butt diameter (of the shaft) Grip core (inner diameter of grip)   Here's a GolfSmith piece on how the two can influence actual thickness of an installed grip: http://www.golfsmith.com/display_page?page_num=cm_lp_mag0808_clubmaking_tip
Beginners can benefit from a basic static fitting. The fitter checks the shaft length and lie angle of the clubs to make sure they fit your body proportions and stance. Also, the shaft flex should match your swing speed. And, the grip size should match your hand size.   Technically, the lie angle check is not static: A good fitter will put impact tape on the sole of the club and have you hit some shots off a lie board.  If the scuff marks from impact are in the center,...
I carry a driver, 4W and 7W. Four years ago, these two fairway woods replaced my 3W and 5W/trouble club equivalents.   I'm one of those people that Golf Digest talked about who can hit a 4W farther than a 3W. And, the 7W gets the ball out of medium rough much better than a hybrid.   I also carry a 4H, which replaced my 4i. And, I own a 3H which I swap out for the 7W from fall to early spring, when the winds are stronger and the rough much...
Avoid leather and try some canvas or web (canvas-nylon) belts.   Sources include Fossil Utility, Knot Clothing, Ali Express, and Nike (comes in five colors, about $20 each). http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/web-golf-belt/pid-404177/pgid-404176
Note on Dick's: This outfit fired more than 500 in-store PGA golf pros this time last year. I'm not sure who they got as replacements.   http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/11248733/dick-sporting-goods-fires-more-500-store-pga-professionals
You need to find a clubfitter you can connect with. If you don't feel the person is taking you seriously, politely end the session and walk away.   Read up on what should go into a fitting, and then start a conversation with the fitter on what you want: To get fitted for new clubs after using your present set of several years.   If the fitter tries to sell you one set of irons, or one driver, with little or no comparison, you're not getting a good fitting.   Most of...
Ping's website has a side-by-side comparison of the two FWs. Both are rated as extreme on forgiveness. http://www.ping.com/clubs/fairways.aspx   Main differences: G30 adjustable on loft, G25 is not. G25 has shallower face, which likely would give it a higher launch.   Best way to tell: hit both and let launch data and feel guide your final choice.
 Finding a club - or clubs - on eBay might be OK for someone familiar with golf, but it's not a way for a beginner to go. I would suggest you talk to your friends and find a place where you can both get starter lessons, and get help finding clubs. As a beginner, you basically want clubs that won't hurt your game. A person's arm length in relation to height, and their golf stance posture, all determine how long or short or upright a club you need. Trying to find such clubs...