or Connect

Posts by WUTiger

If your swing is unstable, a fitting for new irons will not help you. Take some $$ and get a lesson or two, and stabilize your swing. Then look at fitting.   To benefit from fitting, your swing must be somewhat consistent - but certainly not perfect.   Also club models A and B may likely have different length shafts and lie angles for given irons. Example comparing 5 irons: TM SLDR: Standard lie angle 61.5°, std shaft 37.75"  Calla X2Hot Pros: Standard lie angle...
Normally I play the whites, about 6000 yds.   There's one out-of-town course - Eagle Knoll near Columbia MO - where I move back to the blues. It all has to do with the way the holes lay out. Three of the par 3s are short drop-shot holes across a lake or creek. Due to the drop, a soft PW is the "right" distance club. But, I hate feathering a wedge going across water. I'd much rather play the blues, and have a full 8i or 7i  into the green. On two of the longer Par 4...
When I played X20 irons, I tried the stock AW and SW and really didn't care for them. I had real distance control problems with the AW.   When I switched to X20 Tours, PW was the only wedge made for the set. So, I got some Cleveland CG14s which worked better for me. For sand wedges it's always been a tie between the older Callaway X.Forged 56°/15 C.Grind and the Cle CG14 56°/14.   Also, with a little practice I got better touch out of non-stock wedges for G, S and L...
 In his time, Nicklaus and some big hitters carried:  Driver, 3W, 1 - 9 iron, plus PW and SW and putter. Others carried 1 and 3-9; or 2-9, and added a 4W or 5W as club # 14. Those who carried a 1i, 3i used the 1i primarily as a driving iron, much as some current day players used the Callaway and other utility irons in the British Open. Nicklaus and stronger players of the era often would play cut shots with the long irons, and were able to stop them...
You are what you are, so don't try to rebuild your game. Go with what you have. Are you familiar with the courses? If not, visit the web site - or the course itself - and see what holes you are facing. If a hole has a blind tee shot into a landing area bordered by a hazard or water, this can cause problems for a first-time golfer. If you hit a bad shot, just get back to the fairway. Don't be so brave you turn a bogie into a triple bogie. If you have a risky shot to...
GD's Hot List rates the AP1 714 as a game improvement iron. See the HL comments below,if interested: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list/2014-03/photos-hot-list-game-improvement-irons?slide=3#
I do dynamic stretches - same ones I do before I play.   Hit some partial shots to warm up.   If I'm going to play the next day, I usually go through the bag on every other club. Pay attention to set up and alignment, and smooth tempo on driver.   If it's just practice, I will usually have an emphasis: long clubs, irons, wedges, or greenside short game. If it's long clubs, I'll hit the driver first after warming up - a pro told me that the driver is the most...
Wishon's remark that flex profile matters " a little" matches what clubfitters have been telling me lately. One fitter described flexpoint or "kickpoint" as a fine-tuning element in selecting shafts, after best loft and other  shaft factors were determined.
You changed your "long club" grip, and are hitting them better and longer...   One thing to consider: any chance you're overswinging on the wedges, as result of getting more boom out of long sticks? Overswinging could cause you to decelerate on follow-through, or go over the top, either of which could cause you to chunk the shots.   Also, if you're playing musical wedge mix, it will take you a few rounds to "get the feel" of a new batch, even if  you do the Dave Pelz...
The National Golf Foundation would put an asterisk * beside our name, just as professional baseball would do if we had hit 400 home runs while using steroids.