or Connect

Posts by WUTiger

In 1921, member of the New York Athletic Club commissioned Walter Tillinghast to build Winged Foot Golf Club in the western suburbs of the city. NYAC instructions: "Give us a man-sized course." (Ward-Thomas et al., 1986, The World Atlas of Golf, p. 143). Winged Foot has two or more sand bunkers surrounding each green, plus a good scattering of fairway bunkers flanked by large trees. Tillinghast delivered what the members wanted.   I have played two different...
Stonewolf, my home course, can be frustrating at times. BUT, we have a world-class logo!      
 You might try St. Louis area in early March. Main thing you have to contend with is overnight frost. If ground is frozen at dawn, most courses won't let people tee off until mid-morning when frost has burnt off. On frozen ground, the irons and wedge shots shatter the grass roots and leave ugly gouges in the turf. As for greens fees, expect to pay at least $50 for the morning round, if you want to get in 36 holes. You might find some afternoon rate cuts. I play at...
 An original-era Big Bertha could have a fairly heavy graphite shaft, up to 90 grams. Also, what flex is the shaft? Heavy and stiff could make it harder to get clubhead speed which leads to better launch. You might have someone check your set-up and swing to make sure you're coming into the ball OK.
One factor related to "which flex is best" is clubhead speed.  And, one factor influencing clubhead speed is weight of the shaft.   This summer I reshafted my X20 Tours from PX 5.0 (115 grams, FCM* = 5.5) to NS Pro 8950GH (97 grams, FCM = 5.0). I picked about 12 yards per club in distance, and have more consistent distance gaps from club to club.   I got away from Stiff shafts (except for Wedgeflex) about 2009. But, I have found recently I can hit some of the...
An abysmal short game will ruin your score. But, if your short game is stable - not great, just stable - accuracy off the tee is your next big thing to work on.   For beginners, part of accuracy is developing the swing. As you begin to groove your swing, you should have fewer mishits. If you combine lessons with play and purposeful practice, you should make progress.   If you can hit a decent tee shot and catch the first cut of rough or better, you'll be closer to the...
I would pick the camera, for perceptual reasons. I have trouble using "mirror images" for practicing movements.   In karate class, I need to have the instructor demonstrate any complex moves standing by my side. Mirror image messes me up.   On the practice range, I can use the tall mirror to check static positions, or length of backswing, but not much else.
Find a good clubfitter and work with him or her.   Wedge fitting should consider both your swing characteristics (slider... digger) and the average turf conditions you play on.   Vokey SM5 family contains 21 different loft/bounce combinations, with six different sole grinds mixed in. PW and GW all have F grind, with others mixing in on the SW and LW models.   Vokey site: http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/wedges/sm5.aspx
In the late 1800s, a tiny-headed wood called the bulldog did hybrid-like duty. In the early 1970s, trouble clubs such as the Ginty preceded our current hybrids.   Here's an earlier post on the topic: http://thesandtrap.com/t/45151/hybrid-vs-rescue#post_971772
A fairway wood with a lower vertical center of gravity (VCOG) helps get the ball launched higher for the average golfer. Assuming you have no serious swing flaws, this would help you hit FW shots off the deck better.   The clubhead below has two possible VCOG points marked on it:   VCOG 1 will contribute to a hotter, lower launch with lower spin. Golfers with higher swing speed might benefit from this.   VCOG 2 will contribute to a higher launch with more spin....