or Connect

Posts by maughan67

Picking up when you cannot score is not the same issue as treating a 3 foot gimme as a legitimate 1 putt in circumstances where it does count towards your score.If it is a medal (ie stroke play) competition, then if you want to remain in the competition you cannot pick up (at all). But I agree that, for h'cap purposes or in Stableford, you can (and maybe should) pick up if you cannot score (although if you have a good round going, you might still want to putt for a double...
Good one!My apologies if some of the issues require careful thought. My bad.
This is a regular topic of conversation (argument?) between me and a golfing friend. So I have been round the houses on the various issues many times. Holing out - save perhaps from literally tap-in range - is all part of the game of golf, and is also arguably one of the most satisfying aspects. It is satisfying because it is fraught with all sorts of subtle risks and dangers and difficulties - even from a couple of feet. I am sure we have all seen people miss from very...
What constitutes "adhering" to the ball? In a friendly round today, with the leaves starting to fall from the trees and the ground wet from overnight rain, my opponent's ball came to rest on the fairway with a small leaf stuck on it, ie water surface tension was holding the leaf on the ball. It was easy to peel the leaf off without moving the ball, but the leaf would (probably) not have fallen off if the ball had been lifted and gently turned (or even shaken). So could...
This is a very interesting thread for me. I have spent a huge amount of time practising chipping over the past year or so. If feel that it has paid off as I am now confident that I can very often get the ball within 1 putt range, and at worst get it safely on the green and comfortably 2 putt. I usually use my 56 deg gap wedge, but will use a 60 deg lob wedge when I want less roll. However.... Every so often, and for no obvious reason (at least as far as I can see/feel),...
Hi.    I can't see the videos, possibly because I am viewing on the Flash-less iPad.    Could you please post a link to them instead?   Thanks!
Wow.I have struggled with bunker shots recently - too often the ball would not get up high enough to clear high lips, or the club would stick in the sand too much to get enough distance.I watched the video once on Friday night. On Saturday I was in a bunker on the 3rd hole, about 15 yards short of the green, which sloped away from me towards the flag about 20 yards from the front.I tried to apply all the key techniques from the video that I could remember - heels parallel...
Where can I find the video you are referring to, please?Thanks!
The longest drive I have hit was last month at Merrist Wood GC, Surrey, UK. The 6th hole is par 5, 499 yards (off the yellow tees). My drive ended up in the middle of the fairway 1 yard short of the 150 marker, i.e. a drive of 348 yards. I remember turning my hands over at impact, which seemed to generate a load more clubhead speed - but I don't usually do that and I don't know why I did it on that swing! I need to practice it at the range, but I am not sure if it...