or Connect

Posts by parbreaker

The biggest thing I would say that would help is to go in being open minded. Chances are you have your own ideas of what is wrong with your swing and what you should be working on. Be prepared to hear that you may be wrong.   One of the biggest things, IMO, that can make lessons non-productive is a student that wants to listen to a pro only if they agree with them.   To elaborate, I think this stems from the fact that what you feel you are doing and what you are...
I always go to a spot on the end of the range when I go. I like to be as far away as possible from other people because it does help me to concentrate.   I do know a lot of people listen to an ipod or something to help them drown out others, but for some reason I just can't do that. Music gets too distracting to me. If you can yourself though, that would be an option to help.   As far as instructors talking near you, I was just mentioning it to a friend of mine...
I've done the two ball trick quite a bit back when I was in high school. I never did it for the height though.   I always did it in a bunker next to a green. In addition to the high ball going pretty vertical it has an enormous amount of backspin and usually comes back into the bunker (i.e. 20 feet forward onto the green, spins back at me, through the fringe, through the rough and back into the bunker). That was the fun part of that shot to me, not the height....
I can understand that. (Been there, done that). Without lessons, another way to help improve quickly is to find some people to play with that are better. Ask around through friends or while practicing at some of the golf courses facilities. You can always go out on the course as a single and get paired up with people too. Some of my best friendships have turned out to be from people that I met on a golf course. Having a friend that is more knowledgable makes playing more...
This has been a somewhat interesting discussion, and has caused me to think a bit about my own habits. I'm going to be honest and explain how I have always done things.   First, I always use wooden, non painted tees. The reason for this (other than OCD, lol) is simple. It's wood. It's not going to hurt the environment if it is left behind, or thrown into the woods, or tossed into a creek. It's wood, not a pop bottle.   Second, I always pick up any tees that are...
Typically I prefer to do some pre-round warm ups. It gets my body warmed up and gives me a feel for how I'm swinging.   I usually get a small bucket of balls and hit some PW's, starting with pitch shots and working up to full shots. This probably takes about 10-15 balls. Then I go to a 7 iron, starting with some half swings, working up to full swings. This is usually another 10-15 balls. After that I go to the practice green and hit some practice putts to get the...
There are two real aspects to answer with this question.   First, is hitting a 7 iron 145 yds on average too short to play good golf? No, it's not. As has been mentioned, it is very possible to shoot good scores with that distance.   Second, is hitting a 7 iron 145 yds optimal for YOUR swing? Maybe. No one can answer that without seeing your swing. Keeping that in consideration, you may be able to get some more yardage by working on some swing issues. One key I...
Without knowing more about it, I can't say.   Is the sway on the backswing? downswing? both?   How much is there?   It's dependent on a lot of variables. A video of your swing would allow people here to really answer the question.
I would agree with the above rates. (average is probably $45 to $60 an hour, with some higher priced services going up to $100+)   I am giving one of my best friends lessons right now (real, undivided attention lessons for an hour a week) for free, but that's because he's a good friend, I like to teach, and he has shown the dedication to convince me it won't all be for naught).   I am not a certified teacher by any means. If someone I was mildly familiar with...
You appear to have very little lower body movement at all. Your swing is mostly arms turning around your torso. You are really going after the ball, so once you make contact that momentum is simply carrying through your body, leg, and into your foot. It has to give, the way you are swinging. All of your hip movement is turn, and it all takes place well after the ball is gone just to get you turned towards the target line.   The first thing I would recommend is to...