or Connect

Posts by ctyankee

Thanks.  That bit of wisdom reminded me why I don't post here often. 
Her putting problems are far from recent.  She lost in the Girl's Amateur.  Crushed the ball past all of her opponents and lost because other made putts and she didn't.  Nothing new.   
To my thinking, some of the worst rules in golf involve sand trap situations.    Example: a flash shower occurs during a tournament.  The only dry place left in the bunker is at a point closer to the pin with the rest of the bunker underwater.  So, the unlucky competitor can (1) play it as it lies (2) potentially move it to a place where the ball is in shallower water (at no penalty) and drop it and attempt that underwater shot or (3) take it outside the bunker, no...
This.  Those covering the LPGA have been trying to build Wie up for years and years because the media *****s need marketable stories.  Problem was (and is) she can't putt well enough to match the rest of her game.  It's only been lately that the commentators have finally addressed what's been holding her back because even they can't ignore the obvious forever. 
  I doubt any of us are wearing halos, but if Clinton and Tiger can't keep it in their pants, they only make more money for Big Media.  Whereas, if Erik can't keep it in his pants, he could cost NBC/Golf Channel an expensive lawsuit and lost advertisers/viewers.  That's the difference.    The Golf Channel's mistake was deciding to sign a host with "character issues" after ESPN dumped him.  That's like a football team that brings in some player with 'character issues'...
The whole going for a par-4 from the tee is nothing but an effective smoke-screen for the issue at hand.  Pro's do it because the reward (sometimes) far exceeds the risk.  Good chance for an eagle or maybe getting on ESPN.  Miss the green but get in the green-side bunker?  Up and down and you've still got your birdie.  I do the same at my course.    But that has nothing to do with the discussion.  They drive for the green because they have a legitimate chance of...
  Hopefully, we can agree that there is a difference between a full wedge and a full swing.  I don't doubt that was your intent when you're talking about a pitch, but just to be clear.    The book Caddie Sense is real good read.  A bit dry, but full of insight.  It is by Michael Carrick, longtime caddie for Tom Kite.  He sums up the difference between pro golfers and those he sees in sooooo many pro/am events he's done through the years.  Those golfers play the course...
  Thanks for that.  No need to discuss any further. 
  Yeah and I'm sure the "average" golfer does better with a six iron off the tee then with a driver on a par 4 - 435 yard hole.  As a golf instructor, is that what you advise your players to do?     Do your "stats" take into account what happens when your "average" golfer now tries to hit a 4 iron to get to 35 yards versus a 7 iron to 80 yards?  Do they take into account that in executing that longer approach shot to 35 yards, the fairway is more narrow and more likely to...
  The PGA Tour serves the PGA Players so, while it might be nice, it is unlikely to happen.  They want to keep all matters in-house and behind the scenes.    Same reason that the PGA Tour resists taking shots away for slow play.  Because then it would be all too public for their liking.