or Connect

Posts by Fatphil

A full SW off a tightly cut fairway is one of the more difficult shots in golf...so don't beat yourself up too badly.  unlike a 460cc driver on a tee that u can sweep or a 7 iron off a fluffy lie in the rough, there is NO margin for error with the shot you mention.  Its easy to diagnose...you are casting and loosing your wrist hinge...the only way to not hit 6" behind the ball is to pop up with either your spine angle (sorry inclination haha) or your legs.  If you time...
I agree with my homie from White Plains!! (I went to Stepinac).  the only 2 cents I can add is your putting is OK for a 7 hdcp...I hit a bunch of greens also but as they say, you're on the dance floor but can't hear the music.    You're not going to make birdies from 35' and you certainly will 3 putt a few times...maybe more than a few if the greens you play are severe.  To bring those 7 and 8 irons in from 35' to 15' is a huge jump in skill level. 
....anyone can sweep a ball off a 2" tee with a 460cc driver and a sweet spot the size of a basketball.  (kinda like why 8 year olds play t-ball)   To properly compress an iron takes a sound understanding of the golf swing plus some athletic talent. 
I never heard it described that way but my guess is it applies to iron play.  In order to compress the ball you need to maintain your chest at impact at a the same level as address, not a particularly easy thing to do if you are not in good shape & stretched out.  However if you do keep your body in a level position but cast or early release you will hit 6" behind the ball.     Since most golfers cast, the only way to make contact is to pop up which usually means...
I think of over the top a little differently.  I picture where my hands are at address and what my shaft angle is at address.  At impact I try to make my hands and shaft achieve that same position or even below.  If my hands come in high and my shaft is a few inches above the address position I consider that "over the top"  The error is probably more casting than true over the top, however, as a few guys here have said you can play very good golf with a slight over the...
I had a heck of a time working the steep shoulders and the deep hands together...when my shoulders were steep my hands popped out, when my hands were deep my shoulders spun around.  A swing thought that finally clicked was to drive my left fist downward into the ground for the first 12" and forget about the shoulders.  For me that seems to merge the two actions together into one thought and it works with all the clubs and suprisingly its fairly effective with my putter...
I can just add that I think you are very much on the right path to improving not only your pitching but you long game as well.  In a nutshell you are simply not holding the wrists (I hesitate to say hinge) in a consistant way and your upper body action and impact position is probably a mess.    ASAP unfortunalty is not in the cards...you could be looking at a 8-12 month project but in the end you will be a much better player and have a fundamentally better...
Well you prove my theory that a shank is the fault of only good players.  After googling "WTF is a labrum", I can relate.  A shank is just a good swing that your arms moved outwards only about a 1/2".  It shows you are holding your wrist hinge but you are tight in the chest and shoulder (duh you just had surgery) and your entire center moved outward a bit towards the ball.  Sorry I have no idea how you can fix the problem but my solution involves chicken blood and small...
  Sorry to say I think you are wasting your breath beating this point.  A millimeter variation of a wrist angle or lie angle will cause a mis hit (or mis direction).  Most weekend players don't make the same stroke twice during a round.  (ha ha myself included)
My pet peeve is PGA players giving putting advice like "it's all about confidence"  or "it's all between his ears" then watching a 10 handicapper lament he has no confidence thus by extraction that's why he can't putt.  They don't mention that even the worst putter you see on TV has a magnificent putting stroke and nearly perfect mechanics.   The reason us weekend players can't putt worth a damn is we can't hit the sweet spot and probably don't make the same stroke...