or Connect

Posts by Dloy

Played with a walk-on a few years ago, a fairly decent stick. He mentioned playing with Travino in the past, and what an a**h*** he was. By around the 5th hole I realized just who the a**h*** was. I imagine Travino is adept at playing with amateurs and getting a decent personality read. He likely then pushed this guy to the limit just for fun. Another fellow said Chi Chi wasn't the nice guy you see on TV. Possible I suppose.
Good point. I'd almost bet lunch that this never happens again. He was playing not long after (if at all) players were driving old cars from tourney to tourney, living out of motels and campgrounds and playing for a 10K purse. It's big business now and the colleges are pumping out dozens of viable contenders every year.
I'm an older guy I guess. I remember watching Calvin compete. I liked him a lot. Always seemed like a class act.
The shot that I remember most often was a lob shot from behind the green maybe 30 yards, to a significant downhill green. At the time I had a Callaway S2H2 lob wedge with practically zero bounce. You could really dig a ditch with this club. Anyway, the only way to get this close was to sky the wedge, and it dropped just perfectly on the fringe which killed it just enough to trickle onto the green and down slope 15' or so to cozy next to the pin. A Mickleson moment for...
I've always kind of liked Monty and am aware at least of some of the bad press he's suffered in the past. He is a bit prickly and has had some tough crowd interaction. I notice now though that it seems like there is nearly a full court media press to rectify that somehow and build him up as this nice guy and sage golfer. Better than the former, but the PR effort seems a bit out of place.
I recently dropped membership at a private course 5 minutes from my house. On the plus side, I could be home and decide to golf, and tee it up in literally 15 minutes. Hardly ever a wait, and a fine course. On the down side (there were many actually) primarily I am not a "clubby guy", AND, you barely ever play anywhere else. Boring. So now my home course is my old muni about 15 minutes away. Yes, there is a wait, but it doesn't bother me. I love to chip and putt. Also,...
Gary's OK, but I prefer Holly Sonders. Probably just me.
I grip tighter occasionally and it helps, but I don't do it all the time. One thing that works for me on shortish putts is a hesitation at the peak of the back stroke. When I take away, sometimes I wobble on the back stroke. When I see this I'll literally stop the club at the back stroke for a split second and then flow through the ball. Seems to be a much straighter forward stroke when I do that. Only shorter putts though. Long putts are all about feel and that requires a...
That sucks. My story may be unique to me but I found it aggravating. I played public courses here in Seattle for many years before joining a CC. Probably left clubs or putter at holes at least 3 times, only to discover it missing too late. Each and every time someone turned it in and I got it back a day or two later. So, after I joined "The Club" 15 years ago, I've left clubs out there maybe 3 times. Not one time did the club or putter ever come back to me. Wouldn't you...
tntviper1 - Didn't think so really, glad you understood. Was uncanny though that you nailed him in your post. Just the thought of Eddie set me off. He literally did jamb the flag into the green among other atrocities including making the beverage girl cry. I very rarely get pissed off but that was a horrible day. It's just a walk in the park.