or Connect

Posts by The Recreational Golfer

Bucket of 30 balls. Get very loose first. Start with a 7-iron. Hit three shots, switch to a 5-iron, same, a 3-hybrid, same, a 9-iron, same, driver, five shots. Go back and hit each club one more time. Lots of practice swings between balls to make sure that hitting a ball means something. The rest of the bucket is for pitches with my sand wedge to various distances. That takes about a half hour.   Over to the practice green, chipping three balls with various clubs to...
In Five Lessons, Ben Hogan said there are eight, though Jackie Burke, Jr. said Hogan thought whatever he was working on at the time was a fundamental.
I do.
I had two back surgeries in early 2012. I didn't swing a club for about eight months after the second one. It took me a year after that to get back to just being able to play 18 holes again. Take it slow. Real slow. Golf is not so important that you should risk your long-term health by getting back into it before you're ready.
I had my first back surgery when I has 22.
Most officiated sports have a number of officials watching a small space. Basketball, for example, has three officials watching an area the size of my back yard. Golf has (who knows how many) officials covering a 150-acre arena. That's why the players have to officiate themselves, and honor regarding the rules is paramount. Odds are, no one will be watching you except the players in your group and their caddies, who are busy with their own game, and a handful of fans, who...
Re: Feherty looking for Day's ball. Well, that's just it, isn't it? As long as the media's ball-finding services are available to every group, I guess it would be all right. Side note: I wish I had as many people looking for my ball when it goes into the weeds as look for a pro's ball. How much lower would our handicaps be if we could play like the professionals do, whose ball always gets found, and who have ten guys come from nowhere and move a boulder for you, etc.?
Not that it amounted to much, but I was a bit conflicted by David Feherty looking for Jason Day's ball when he yanked it into the weeds on the second hole. On the one hand, if F saw it where it went, there's no reason for him not to help look, unless he's a reporter, and one of the primary rules of reporting is to report the event, not be a part of it.
Ask this doctor if he's ever herd of cauda equina syndrome.
Majors aren't everything in this discussion, but they count for something. Woods has now played in 72 major championships (through 2014 PGA). Here is his record compared to Nicklaus’s first 72:   Jack: 1st - 14 2nd - 15 3rd - 9 4-10 - 14   Tiger: 1st - 14 2nd - 6 3rd - 4 4-10 - 14