or Connect

Posts by joepro23

2012 goals:   1) Post more on TST during the golf season. -  I have a bad habit of forgetting about this site while I am actually golfing in the summer. I always turn here in the late fall/winter, but I shouldn't wait until the season is over.   2) Get back into competitive golf. - Been 3+ years since a college tourney and/or serious amateur event. I am looking to play in 1 or 2 amateur tourneys next summer. Some competition might spark interest in working on my...
    I did pretty well actually...   1) Played a bunch of new courses. Played in California for the first time in Feb, and did an epic trip to Scotland (Turnberry and St. Andrews) in August with my family. Trips created a lot of great memories. Probably the best golf travel year I could imagine. Going to be awhile before any new trips like that $$$.   2) Close, but no cigar. I actually shot 70 just a few weeks ago. Had a late 3-putt and bad chip that derailed me on 15 and...
I think the USGA could just throw out the whole distance factor. You should just be scratch (or not) based on your scores. If someone got to a legit scratch, I don't care how far they hit the ball. It would probably be pretty hard to find many scratch scorers under 270 w/ the driver anyway, but look at a pro like Corey Pavin. Will he not be "scratch" anymore since he only hits it 260ish? His scores beg to differ.
Spring 2007. Invited on Stanwich CC in Greenwich, CT. We get to the 16th Hole. 170 yards, slightly elevated green. Went with a 7-iron and and the ball started out a little right of the flag, but drew back and was all over the pin. It landed at the top of the false front, one-hopped, and disappeared. Because of the elevation, I thought it might have gone over, but my friend who plays there was certain it was it. Sure enough, it was there at the bottom of the cup. 
@Copaman:   I played Patriot League golf too and graduated a few years ago. Good times. Cheers!
It would help if we knew more about your game. How long have you been playing? How far do you hit it now? Still growing?  How long/tough are the courses you are currently playing? Where are you playing? Is it south enough to play all year?   College: Getting a college golf scholarship is really competitive and requires you to not only be scratch, but enter and do well in the AJGA to get the attention of college coaches. Just making some college golf programs is...
It is not just a mid-high handicap thing. As you get better, your expectations and skill level change, so "having it all come together" is just as rare at most amateur levels, even scratch. I think the pros are able to bring it all together more often because they practice and play this game for a living and have built such consistency. Even in the pros, the reason you have one-hit wonders (think Ben Curtis) is because they had that fluke weekend where it all came...
I usually go with orange juice and a banana before a morning round. At the turn I grab a nature valley trail mix bar and a gatorade. If there is no halfway house, I bring my own stuff. Important to stay hydrated on the course. Sometimes I like to bring sunflower seeds out there. I don't spit them on the green, so if you see them there it wasn't me.    Caffeine and alcohol are the popular "no-nos" on here, but I have found them both to have a minimal impact on my golf...
  First off, I think you are approaching this whole thing the wrong way. You don't do drills "to make your stats better". You do drills with an instructor to work on your swing so you can hopefully score better. The stats improve naturally when you start playing better. You can't go out on the course with the idea that you will beat your average stats that day. Just hit each shot and tally it all up later.   For greens in regulation...think about the formula that has been...
First off, I am from NJ also. .    It seems like you have a lot of natural talent and potential considering your scores after just one year. Your athletic background should help too. Remember though, you are using different muscles in golf. It is more about flexibility. If you are working out, do core stuff and a lot of stretching. If you bulk up in the upper body too much, golf will be difficult.    You could look into lessons, but they are not a "must". I am...