or Connect

Posts by wmiller

I just recently fitted a young friend with those very clubs and he is doing rather well with them. They are a good quality club, and Pings just last forever. I still play a set of i3 blades (smaller head, less offset) as my backups.   They are NOT going to be as forgiving as a Super Game Improvement club, but they will give you good feedback on mishits.
-1 today. Didn't play from the blues (~7100) because my friend I play with every two weeks isn't long enough to play from there. I just teed off with a few more 3 woods and 3 irons. Still felt good though. The new i15 with the Diamana WB is just killing 'em.  :)
The last time I talked to a PGA teaching pro, I approached him to inquire how much it would cost to have my swing video taped. Instead of giving me a price, he said: "First things first. Let me see your stance and grip." Ok...   I took my stance and he immediately spotted my weak grip and stated that I must be hitting everything right. No, I said, I tend to hit a high draw. He basically called me a liar, I promptly offered to hit some balls (we were standing out in...
I'm a righty and when playing multiple rounds a week, will tape the two middle fingers on my right hand. I'm a little self conscious about it, but it keeps the calluses away.
When I swap out a worn ball during a round, I throw it in the bag. At the range, normally after finishing off the crap range balls (and they are crap), I'll pull 3 or 4 of the worn balls out of the bag and tee them up for the driver. I watch the flight and look for any signs of anything bad I've added to my swing (that the range balls hide).   Only once or twice have I pulled a brand new ball from the bag. Usually after seeing some really screwy ball flights with...
If the grip is leading the head, the club is de-lofted, making it stronger. My friend the pro says he weakens the lofts to compensate.
When using a 'spine finder' you are NOT locating the spine of the shaft, but rather the NBP (natural bend point) of the shaft. The spine, which is the most stable orientation of the shaft, is found by flexing a shaft with a laser tipped weight on the end (tip) of the shaft. This is called FLO, or Flat Line Oscillation.   In my limited experience, the spine axis is located between 70 and 90 degrees from the NBP axis.   Nice pic above. I have the same one. Works...
If your friend is keeping score while he's bending the rules, then I agree, that's not right.   For score, you need to play to an agreed set of rules, like using strict USGA rules (i.e., stroke and distance), or some variant that is agreed to by all involved (i.e., no distance penalty for lost ball, just stroke, etc.)   My friend and I play every other Sunday, and I honestly can't remember the last time we kept score. More like a social forum where we enjoy each...
I keep several of the 'gold' dollar coins in my pocket when I play, and use them as ball markers on the green.
I don't understand this concern for how other people play. Like it violates someone's religion or something    If I play in a tourney or am playing for a few $$ with friends, of course we use the rules. But if I'm out to relax and enjoy myself on a golf course, I'll do as I please thank you. This includes lift-clean-and-place, taking relief from divots, and repairing spike marks on the green, etc., etc..   I've played courses in pga conditions and you never get...