or Connect

Posts by Shanks A Million

Being a professional musician, I can relate.   I play all percussion, piano and orchestral percussion.  I was hired to my first post as the principal percussionist of a 70 piece symphony which was accompanying a 200 person choir and we were about to air live on national television in an hour.  We do a rehearsal before we play, and I had everything ready to go, and I had nabbed this huge pair of 20" heavy crash cymbals that must be 30 years old.   In the first runthrough,...
My hands are usually a few inches ahead of the ball at impact on video.  I tend to have a very long swing, parallel or past.  I'd have to check the videos of wedges specifically to see, but I hit every club high... really high.  I've never really lost distance because of it though.  I was hitting it lower, but I haven't really lost a single yard due to the change.
Haven't posted in a long time.  I have played well the past few years, got my handicap down around 5 or 6 and played pretty regularly, but recently, I lowered my swing plane more, made my hands deeper, etc.  I'm hitting all my clubs well, heck, I can pull out my driver and know for sure I'm going to hit it solid...  I'm hitting better than ever.   Here's the problem:   My two wedges, sand and lob, are incredibly unreliable.  I hit them shorter and often hit them...
Professional piano player, not guitar, but I've held up my end with a guitar here and there.  I've played for maybe a few thousand people and on some recordings.  I'm not "good" in my own view.  I have plenty of instruments, and all are good in some way, but that one just gives you that certain sound you're after.  I like the fact I can play some good James Harrah style or maybe a good Steve Lukather imitation.  Those guys, though, are good.
Rickie Fowler is a PGA tour player.  He has no wins.  That's all there is to say.  Other than that, he can do what he wants.  He is exactly equal to where the numbers say he should be.
No, not really, shorter clubs go longer for their given loft.  They are more forgiving, thus the average goes up.  The law of diminishing returns applies, your numbers are about right for your handicap.
My point was that talent and success are not related.  Dianne Warren is far, far more talented than Beyoncè, but has far less to show for it.  Jay Graydon is a far better guitar player than Eric Clapton, but who here has heard of him?  Talent does not equal success.  Never has, maybe never will.  Success is in much part based on luck.
Um...  So what?  Accomplishments don't always tie into ability.  The cast of Glee has had more songs on the billboard charts than the Beatles.  Does that make them better, or more popular?  Beyoncè is a woman who sings songs.  She has 16 Grammys.   Dianne Warren wrote: Always Tomorrow Strong as Steel The Arms of the One Who Loves You As Long as I Can DreamBecause You Loved MeBlame It on the Rain But I Do Love You By the Time This Night Is Over Can't Fight the...
I've met pros who couldn't putt to save their lives.  Literally would leave 20 foot putts 8 feet short.  These guys duffed putts, yet still carried handicaps around +3.  I've, to date, never met a person who couldn't reliably strike the ball who carried a handicap any lower than about 8.  I have a friend who's a pro, and is going through Q-school, and he's a great putter, which helps offset the fact that he's not a very good ballstriker.  However, he can take out a blade...
Yep, work on your swing.  You have no coordination built up just yet, so you won't be able to chip and putt well either.  You need to work on (and here's a shock) not flipping the club.  About 99.99% of all golfers flip the club.  The rest are very low handicaps.