or Connect

Posts by ohiolefty

I am a teacher - high school English.   I picked up golf again a few years ago after not playing for a decade and, as an adult who was an athlete, instantly got pretty good when I dedicated myself to doing so. I work with an instructor, now only meeting once every few months.   In seeing my instructor work with others, and watching others learn/teach the game, I think the athleticism thing has a lot of merit. The golf swing is a finely-tuned athletic move. I was a...
Lads, homies, flunkies and friends...   The last few months I've been tinkering around with my shot pattern quite a bit. Trying to cut the ball more because I feel like, all-in-all, it's a more reliable shot shape for me that I can replicate even when I'm not playing sharply. Trying to minimize the damage when I don't have my A-game.   For those who play a cut, however, any tips for cutting the ball into the wind that go beyond "When it's breezy, swing easy?" Any...
Two good resources:   Ohio Golf Guide is a website with user reviews of every club, public and private, in the state and has top 25 rankings of the best public, private and 9 hole tracks based on user reviews. There are also clickable, county-by-county maps that bring up a list of all the clubs in a particular county - so say if you were going to the Hocking Hills, the Lake Erie Islands, etc. you could find courses nearby. I like this website quite a bit - user...
I got pissed a few months ago and played a 210 yard par 3 with a walnut after hitting two balls into someone's yard because I felt like I couldn't get set up properly on the ridiculous tee box setup. Yes. I wonder why my partner and I were 'followed' for the rest of the round by various staff members.
I can't fathom how people would change their putter grip for putts of different length. Wow. Wow. Wow.     I use one of the old school Ping putter grips, and I have my thumbs over the logo. It keeps the grip consistent for me. If I could putt with all 8 fingers interlocked, I would, but I can't, so I really try to get my hands as together as possible because it keeps the hands and wrists out of the stroke for me. I guess, when you consider where the pad of my top...
Sheesh...this might seem silly...but here goes. Take at least 6 complete weeks off. No swinging. No putting. Nothing. I had some issues with mental fatigue this year from grinding so hard the last few years, and a run of really ugly rounds and behavior on the course in the early summer. That wasn't cool, nor was it productive. I need time away this winter. Six weeks minimum, 8 weeks ideal. Last year I only did 4 weeks. Not enough. Get in a little better shape. I...
Anyone valuing clubs because of bag chatter (as opposed to actual wear) needs their head examined anyway.   Don't buy headcovers. Just don't. They're ugly, they trap moisture unless you keep your clubs flawlessly clean and dry on the course which is virtually impossible, and bag chatter is actually cool. A set of irons is like a set of Chuck Taylors-  unless they've got holes in them that make them totally unwearable  (clubs: unless they're severely worn or broken),...
Stonewater
I know Mizuno, Bridgestone and Titleist have made 'driving' irons that are, essentially, 2 irons with longer shafts and wider soles. The way that modern lofts are, even in player sets, a 1 iron is going to be somewhere, loft-wise, between a 3 and a 4 wood (16 degrees in most players sets, even lower than a 3W in a set of shovels). The construction of woods/hybrids and ESPECIALLY shafts for woods/hybrids makes it so, even in a links situation, there's no advantage to...
Two good websites you can consult to find courses in Northeast Ohio: Ohio Golf Guide - User review-based site. You'll get some wackos on there, but you can get recent takes on a course from actual players Golf Cleveland Ohio - Very cool site. Comprehensive reviews of Northeast Ohio tracks with pictures.