or Connect

Posts by westcyderydin

It should be a law that you can't get mad at someone else when you miss a putt that you thought should have been a gimme.  Isn't that the point....   And don't get mad at me when you give me a straight up hill 2 footer and I don't give you a 3 foot breaker.    
Great thread.   Between everything in mvmac's OP and iacas's post...lots of good stuff.   I have been noticing a lot of people that I play with hitting 1 or 2 irons lower than what I have been playing lately...lots of wind from the north lately in SW Michigan.  They try to nut their 9 iron 140 into a strong wind and I take a 7 iron, choke down on it and feel much more comfortable.   I need to start doing this more with my wedges though....with or without wind.  I...
To have a better/faster hip turn, I would look more at how your hands, arms, and shoulders move in the swing.   If your hands/arms/upper body are doing what they have to do, your hips will move better on their own.  I would be careful about just trying to turn your hips faster.   There is a guy I play with...and I just wish I had his swing.  He stands a bit close to the ball, but he is just freed up to the point where he can swing as fast as he wants and his body just...
Monte has a ton of videos.  The No Turn/Cast video is one of them, but there are many more....and as he says they all address only 3 or 4 different parts of the swing, it just that some people will find one feel will suit them while another video might fit somebody else.      There is also a three part interview with this guy and Monte that goes through a lot of this stuff.   It is great for someone like me who have overdone the lag holding, have a lower body that...
 What hybrid do you have, what loft is it?  The size of a hybrid is one thing, but that shape of it is another.  Some hybrids are offset more than others and don't look good...especially it you feel like you are going to hook it.  In my experience, the look of a hybrid is more important than any other club.  Try your hybrid alongside a few others if you can and figure out what you like/don't like in the look of a hybrid club and then decide if you want to get a new one. I...
This is a good thread.  Just read through the whole thing, lots of good stuff.   I like to hear how people interpret these ideas and how it relates to their golf games.       I definitely agree with the 65/20/15 school of thought and the SV skills as written in LSW.  GIRs are king, which means driving and iron/full wedge shots are supremely important.  Also, the full swing is a more complex and difficult motion than any short game shot so it takes more repetition to...
I am totally left side dominant in the golf swing.  I think it came from being left side dominant with my baseball swing. Its just a feel, though.  I'm sure the right hand is providing power on the way down...but I think it gets in the way more than anything in the backswing.   Quote: Very true.. I think its very important to learn which feels work and don't work in your swing.  That way you can identify and fix things that might be going wrong with your swing on the...
 Where do you play? Great advice all around, here.  It is definitely worth checking out the higher lofted fairway woods, too.  I wish 7, 9, and 11 woods were more common....
I almost never buy new balls.  I find them on the course, buy them at a pawn shop type of place a few towns away that sells them for .25 a piece (except $1 for ProV1s), or get them from the $.50 bin at my course if I get there the right day.   I get a kick out of the pawn shop place because the guy is quick to sternly tell you that the ProV1s are a dollar...the best deal you'll ever find for them...but then I walk out with dozen Z-stars or Pentas for a quarter each....ok...
Hybrids are great, much easier to hit than long irons (at least for most people).    Just make sure you try some out before you buy them.  I think hybrids, more than any other club, need to fit your eye...or you will mistakenly form the opinion that you hate hybrids.   Go somewhere where you can hit a variety of different hybrid clubs, notice the ones you like and the ones you don't...notice which ones you hit better than others....notice what you like and don't like...