or Connect

Posts by deekay

Hi all,   I play 9 holes at least 3 Sunday afternoons out of 4, and can go around my home course in a (strict rules) 41-43 for 9 pretty consistently.   However when some friends invite me to go and play on a course unfamiliar to me, it’s as if I cannot play at all. I battle to break 55! (per 9.) Fat shots, topping off the tee, duffed chips, etc. Not just bad shots, but embarrassing ones!   I can understand that course management is not so easy on an unfamiliar...
To the thread starter, I feel your pain! I am a weekend warrior. I love my golf, but fully acknowledge that I have WAY more enthusiasm than talent!   I started playing (9 holes once a week) about 5 years ago, and spent the first 2 years just hacking my way around, wondering if I would ever be able to play this game. I did eventually get better, but my progress did not come in a gradual curve; it came in a series of steps. It is these steps I want to share and hear any...
This thread seems to be all about scoring. But I would like to take another approach.   It’s the “click” of a sweetly struck shot, and watching it soar down the fairway straight towards where I was aiming, which makes me feel that I CAN actually play this game. Those are the shots which bring me back to the course again and again, and not the 15 yard chip which occasionally happens to stop right beside the hole.   The opposite is also true. For me, a poor chip (or...
For what its worth, the way I cured my driver slice was to leave it in the bag. I finally took the advice I read somewhere that a beginner should never use a club with a loft lower than his handicap!   Seriously though, my enjoyment of the game grew in leaps and bounds when I finally came to terms with the fact that I am not a scratch golfer, and so I should stop trying to play the course like one. I had no business expecting to hit the green of a 400 yard par 4 in 2...
Hello everybody,   As a high handicapper I know I can save many strokes if I could get up-and-down more from around the green. The contact I make on chip/short pitch shots is just not consistent enough.   Lots of Youtube instruction now says to play the ball from around the middle or even forward in your stance, not lean the club forward much, and use the bounce. They say that playing the ball back in the stance, leaning the shaft forward, is risky because it is so...
Another reason why this works for me is because I find that (for me) ball position plays a major part in hitting the ball towards my target. Too far back and I'll push it to the right. Too far forward and the club only reaches the ball when it's already exiting the arc to the left.   Setting my alignment by the club face means I am looking down at it all the time and can both align myself and ensure that the club face is centered in my stance at the same time, without...
Hi all,   I have always struggled with using an intermediate target when it comes to aligning my stance because I tend to “lose” the line while actually setting my feet. I still end up having to judge when I am more or less parallel. Now I only use an intermediate target to align the club face. When that is done I look down and set my feet/shoulders squarely “across” the club face line.   This way I am setting my stance according to something straight in front of me...
Thanks for the comments, guys.   I am still interested in hearing what your alignment process is out on the course. Do you set your feet/shoulders parallel to the target line perhaps using an intermediate target? Or do you set your club face first, and then your feet/shoulders at 90 degrees "across" it? Or do you simply look at the target and then line your body up as far left as what seems good for you?   Ernest Jones' photo was obviously the correct alignment, but I...
Hi all,   I struggle with alignment, and often see the term “parallel left.” What does that mean? What is “parallel left?”   The railway line illustration is often used to explain this, but every set of railway tracks I have every looked down always seem to narrow down to a single point in the distance. If this is “parallel left” then it would mean that at anything over about 150 yards my toe/shoulder line would be pointing directly at my target. That cannot be...
Hello all,   I know that we are generally told that the club shaft itself should be parallel to the target line when it is horizontal to the ground. What about the left forearm? By the time your arm is horizontal to the ground should it also be parallel to the target line, or should your shoulder turn have brought it a little "inside" already?   My miss is a straight pull, and I am wondering if trying to keep that left arm more parallel wouldn't help me with this...