or Connect

Posts by deekay

Just some feedback for anyone else struggling with hitting at (rather than through) the ball....   It was definitely a distance-from-the-ball issue. When I checked where my practice swing brushes the grass, it is clearly further from me than the ball would be in an actual swing.   Spent an hour at the range on Saturday, and played 9 holes yesterday, paying particular attention to having the ball a little further away at address. Immediately my swing felt much more...
Hi all,   I was hoping for some tips for establishing the correct distance from the ball to stand. Do you step into the ball while holding the club in one hand? Or do you ground it behind the ball with both hands on the club?   How do you establish your distance from the ball?
Thanks for the comments,   Last evening I made some practice swings in the garden, and it struck me that perhaps I am looking at this from the wrong perspective: I should focus more on why the practice swing feels so relaxed, rather than on why the actual swing at a ball feels so awkward.   I then made a couple of nice practice swings and realized that I am letting the club find the ground naturally, without any attempt to steer it. In my actual swing the tension...
Oh I don’t doubt that fat shots are primarily the result of not getting one’s weight forward. My question is more  “How come I hardly ever chunk a practice swing?”   A related question may be “How come I can make a slow, relaxed practice swing, but any attempt to “swing easy” with a ball is nearly always a disaster?   I feel that if I don’t overcome this “hitting instinct” I will never really improve my golf.
Hello all,   I have been playing for 6 years now, having started in my late forties. I still have a serious issue in my game and was hoping for some insights...   I still hit at the ball, rather than through it. I can make great practice swings, just brushing the turf ahead of where my ball would be. I check this regularly with tees to ensure I am not fooling myself. Yet as soon as I put a ball down things go wrong. Out of 30 balls on the range, at least 3 or 4 are...
Hello everyone,   I posted this on the Swing Thoughts forum, but there was no response.   I was checking my grip the other day and noticed that when I adjust my grip so that the club face is square in an impact position (shaft leaning somewhat forward), and I then return to my address position (shaft still leaning slightly forward, but not as much as at impact) without adjusting my grip, the club face is closed.   Does this mean I should address the ball with a...
Hello everyone,   I was checking my grip the other day and noticed that when I adjust my grip so that the club face is square in an impact position (shaft leaning somewhat forward), and I then return to my address position (shaft still leaning slightly forward, but not as much as at impact) without adjusting my grip, the club face has closed.   Does this mean I should address the ball with a slightly closed club face, or do the dynamics of wrist movement during the...
Hi all, and thanks for the comments.   And thanks for going to the trouble of posting the video, Mike, it was very helpful as most swing videos begin with the player already addressing the ball. I notice you also step in with your feet fairly close together, and then place them to set ball position and alignment. I am going to work at this routine also because I find that when I rush this my ball position is not constant.   I also saw an interesting Chuck Cook video...
Thanks for the comments, guys.   I notice the "grip first" and "grip last" tally is just about evenly split. But with only one exception everyone sets lines the club up behind the ball before stepping into their stance and posture. Is this why it's so important to have the correct lie and shaft length clubs because variations here will affect the height of the grip at address, as well as distance from the ball?   This leads to a follow-up question.. How should the club...
Hello all,   I often struggle with my setup, probably because I tend to play too quickly, so I was wondering what routine or sequence you guys use when actually stepping in to address the ball.   Do you ground the club behind the ball, and then settle into your posture "around" the club shaft? Or do you set your posture first, and then move nearer or further from the ball until it is at the club face? Also, to help with ball position and alignment, do you find it...