or Connect

Posts by deekay

Hello all,   I often struggle with my setup, probably because I tend to play too quickly, so I was wondering what routine or sequence you guys use when actually stepping in to address the ball.   Do you ground the club behind the ball, and then settle into your posture "around" the club shaft? Or do you set your posture first, and then move nearer or further from the ball until it is at the club face? Also, to help with ball position and alignment, do you find it...
Thanks, mvmac,   I am going to follow your good advice and just use the putter from that close in. No more on-course experimentation! At the very least it should take the absolute disaster results out of the picture.
Thanks mvmac and Club Rat, your posts helped.   If I read you correctly, at my level I will struggle with that "cuppy" lie however I try to play it. So all I can do is play it a little back in my stance and try to "wedge" it out with a wedge (haha) and hope for the best....   When the ball IS lying well, the putting method (with either putter or an iron) seems to be the way to go. And for anything further out I can pitch, using the bounce, which I seem to be able to...
Maybe I am not making myself clear.....   I often find myself 3 or 4 paces off the green, with the ball sitting down slightly in short, but tough grass. The challenge is not to snag the grass on the way through to the ball.   I would like to hear how more experienced players would play this shot, particularly with regard to ball position. Is the chipping-with-the-putting-method the best way in this situation also?
Mmmm, would a more central ball position not not require a shallow AOA into the ball? I am asking with regard to the "cuppy" lies that we often get with this kikuyu grass in our area. As I mentioned in my post, it's seldom that the ball lies nicely on top of the grass, even on the fringe. If the club snags that stuff on the way to the ball it's game over!   I ask because I feel that I am experimenting too much with my method. Sometimes I play the ball way back, as Pelz...
Hi Guys,   Dave Pelz advocates playing the ball way back in your stance, perhaps even outside your back foot. He says you cannot hit it fat like that. The chipping-with-a-putting-stroke video indicates a more centered ball position. Which do you find better in eliminating fat shots?   I play on kikuyu courses, which often give you a "cuppy" lie in fairly tough grass. Seldom does the ball rest nicely on top of the grass. So catching it even slightly fat is a disaster...
Thanks for the comments, guys. I totally get the idea that playing from tees which allow you to challenge par on most holes would be much more enjoyable.   But I am a bogey golfer. Surely being proud of my progress because I scored in the low 80's over the weekend would be meaningless if it was simply a result of playing off shorter tees?   A player who regularly shoots a certain score off longer tees is surely a better player than someone shooting similar scores off...
Just a question about playing off different tees.   When I watch golf on TV the pros seem to play most of the par 4’s with a driver and a wedge into the green.   Does this mean that the game of golf was developed with this sort of club selection in mind, and that we should all be playing off tees that allow us to play a wedge into the green on the par 4’s?   If we are shortening the course to suit our capabilities, we may find the game more enjoyable, but does our...
I line the ball up with the outside of my right (back) foot. I then place my left heel tight against my right heel. Now I set my stance width and alignment by only moving my right foot.This leaves the ball about a shoe width inside my left heel for every shot off the ground. The key is not to move that left heel once I have placed it.    As a bogey golfer my swing is too inconsistent to still be unsure exactly where the ball is in my stance.
Hi all,   I play 9 holes at least 3 Sunday afternoons out of 4, and can go around my home course in a (strict rules) 41-43 for 9 pretty consistently.   However when some friends invite me to go and play on a course unfamiliar to me, it’s as if I cannot play at all. I battle to break 55! (per 9.) Fat shots, topping off the tee, duffed chips, etc. Not just bad shots, but embarrassing ones!   I can understand that course management is not so easy on an unfamiliar...