or Connect

Posts by deekay

"Relaxed but in control" sounds good.   I feel as if my wrists tighten up and then all sorts of bad things happen in my ball striking. But I am aware of the "feel isn't real" syndrome, so I wanted to know whether my wrists should be a completely flexible link between my hands and the shaft, the club simply following down the swing path established by the movement of my hands.
Hi all,   There is quite a lot of info on grip pressure, but not so much on wrist action. I would just like to know, on a scale of say, 1 to 5, how stiff, or rigid should your wrists be, particularly in the downswing?   I am thinking now in terms of swinging a weight on the end of a string. Obviously the "connection" at the point where the string comes out of your hands is completely flexible. Is this the effect you are looking for when swinging the club (as opposed to...
You may want to try setting up to the ball as described in this link;     I find that this makes it easy to make a slightly descending stroke into the back of the ball. If you feel a bit rigid or mechanical, you can try letting the weight of the club hinge your wrists just a little in the backswing.   The ball may very well roll a little past the hole, requiring two putts to get down, but after a little practice it’s a very safe shot.   And WAY better than blading...
Just some feedback for anyone else struggling with hitting at (rather than through) the ball....   It was definitely a distance-from-the-ball issue. When I checked where my practice swing brushes the grass, it is clearly further from me than the ball would be in an actual swing.   Spent an hour at the range on Saturday, and played 9 holes yesterday, paying particular attention to having the ball a little further away at address. Immediately my swing felt much more...
Hi all,   I was hoping for some tips for establishing the correct distance from the ball to stand. Do you step into the ball while holding the club in one hand? Or do you ground it behind the ball with both hands on the club?   How do you establish your distance from the ball?
Thanks for the comments,   Last evening I made some practice swings in the garden, and it struck me that perhaps I am looking at this from the wrong perspective: I should focus more on why the practice swing feels so relaxed, rather than on why the actual swing at a ball feels so awkward.   I then made a couple of nice practice swings and realized that I am letting the club find the ground naturally, without any attempt to steer it. In my actual swing the tension...
Oh I don’t doubt that fat shots are primarily the result of not getting one’s weight forward. My question is more  “How come I hardly ever chunk a practice swing?”   A related question may be “How come I can make a slow, relaxed practice swing, but any attempt to “swing easy” with a ball is nearly always a disaster?   I feel that if I don’t overcome this “hitting instinct” I will never really improve my golf.
Hello all,   I have been playing for 6 years now, having started in my late forties. I still have a serious issue in my game and was hoping for some insights...   I still hit at the ball, rather than through it. I can make great practice swings, just brushing the turf ahead of where my ball would be. I check this regularly with tees to ensure I am not fooling myself. Yet as soon as I put a ball down things go wrong. Out of 30 balls on the range, at least 3 or 4 are...
Hello everyone,   I posted this on the Swing Thoughts forum, but there was no response.   I was checking my grip the other day and noticed that when I adjust my grip so that the club face is square in an impact position (shaft leaning somewhat forward), and I then return to my address position (shaft still leaning slightly forward, but not as much as at impact) without adjusting my grip, the club face is closed.   Does this mean I should address the ball with a...
Hello everyone,   I was checking my grip the other day and noticed that when I adjust my grip so that the club face is square in an impact position (shaft leaning somewhat forward), and I then return to my address position (shaft still leaning slightly forward, but not as much as at impact) without adjusting my grip, the club face has closed.   Does this mean I should address the ball with a slightly closed club face, or do the dynamics of wrist movement during the...