or Connect

Posts by Hollister

I uploaded a picture of the shafts in the other thread.   Oh, there are a couple of nice 03s and 99 on ebay right now. Pitty I am not in the US and would have to shell out another 100+ for tax and shipping.   The 99 shaft has a Spalding on the red shaft band. The guy that sold me the Apex 5 shafted 99 said that it plays more like a stiff. And I think it does. Whereas the Apex 3 ftx iron feels more like a xx-stiff, because the ball flight is very low (and the shaft...
Here is a photo of the clubs in the same order I hit them at the range with the TrackMan Range. The golf ball marks the last shaft step.   Club 1: Apex Redline (1988), steel stiff shaft Apex 4, 33,5 degrees Club 2: Apex Blade (1999), steel x stiff shaft Spalding Apex 5, 32,5 degrees Club 3: Apex 50th (2003), steel Rifle Flighted 6.0 shaft, 32,5 degrees (no steps, flighted) Club 4: Apex ftx (2006), steel regular shaft Apex 3, 30 degrees Club 5: Apex 50th (2003), steel...
The gist of what I read was, that they were not liked, because the felt a little harder compared to the 88 and 99 or 2003 model. Design-wise they look like a copy of copy of a nice piece. Hit the 2003 model today (Apex 50) and it felt sure nice. Nicer than my FTX today...   Over at golfwrx are a few reviews of the 2006 blade.
Photo is missing...   I had a look at the steps of my clubs - they differ in height. That design would allow to move the kick-point higher or lower. Higher kick-point results in a higher ball trajectory. So, one has to figure who made the shafts in order to compare them (Royal Precision was a long running OEM fitter).   Somewhere I read that Hogan Apex shafts from 1988 and earlier were known to have a lower kick-point than comparable shafts.
Ah, another Hogan fan. Great!   The guy who sold the 99s to me said, that the Apex 5 shaft does play more like a stiff shaft (or even less). Comparing the TrackMan numbers you see that the Apex 5 hit balls have the highest trajectory (see height and landing angle).   And yes to the club heads. I always thought that the FTX were more for mid to low handicappers should fly a little higher, but they do not. Next time I take the 7i FTX with 34 degrees of...
Hmm, ever thought about using foam balls? At least when hitting the driver with full force into a net?   But don't try these whiffer balls...
Priceless...   Could one please give Stretch some monkey award quick  @( 'o' )@
Well, good to know. Then the average good golfer would see different results hitting 9,5° drivers, right?    I am still playing old stuff, but was thinking about getting an R11, R11s or maybe an R1 - until I hit the R1. Compared to my old R7, there was not much gain to justify the change. Sad, but true. I try it again in late Summer.   I think that my swing is still the challenge to get more distance, not the new driver. Next I try to hit a few and have a TrackmanPro...
Been tinkering with the driver over the past weeks, especially after seeing Mayo and James hitting-up-on-the-driver videos.   Then I read this article yesterday:     I went like "suuurrrre"... Go figure.    I still play the R7 425 10.5° from Taylor Made which gives a nice, piercing ball flight. OK, carry is 230 max plus a healthy 30 to 40 yard roll in dry conditions. Am trying to hit up on the ball, but still struggle to keep balance with the forward ball position and not...
Well, that language thing again. Progress vs. patience. Patience like in be ready to "wait for the good things to come" when doing as you prescribe, work hard and systematic.     Being on golf distance-learning for 18 months was great, but in retrospect I did not fully understand what I have been told to do. That language thing again, plus the lack of knowledge at what to look and check when practicing. In-person training would have been better back then.   Next time I...