or Connect

Posts by Hollister

In case it helps anyone - here is a list of MPF shaft replacement codes http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/BenHogan.pdf
After a good nights sleep and looking-up the Rifle Flighted 6.0 shaft-flex, which equals a stiff or even stiff+, I do not really understand the correlation of shaft flex and performance of my particular sticks anymore. A too stiff shaft should let me leave ball short (or right?) when not having the appropriate swing speed. A too weak shaft should lead to ballooning balls, as I saw with my regular graphite shafts. Or lead to over-draws? Clueless. Maybe I should go and get...
Took those four to the range today and see, how the rifle flighted shaft would compare to the regular (clubs 1+2)   Club 1: Apex 50th (2003), steel Rifle Flighted 6.0 shaft, 32,5 degrees (27 balls) Club 2: Apex 50th (2003), steel regular shaft Apex 3, 32,5 degrees (14 balls) Club 3: Apex Redline (1988), steel stiff shaft Apex 4, 33,5 degrees (17 balls) Club 4: Apex ftx (2006), steel regular shaft Apex 3, 30 degrees (20 balls)   As if I was waiting for it - 2 degrees...
I uploaded a picture of the shafts in the other thread.   Oh, there are a couple of nice 03s and 99 on ebay right now. Pitty I am not in the US and would have to shell out another 100+ for tax and shipping.   The 99 shaft has a Spalding on the red shaft band. The guy that sold me the Apex 5 shafted 99 said that it plays more like a stiff. And I think it does. Whereas the Apex 3 ftx iron feels more like a xx-stiff, because the ball flight is very low (and the shaft...
Here is a photo of the clubs in the same order I hit them at the range with the TrackMan Range. The golf ball marks the last shaft step.   Club 1: Apex Redline (1988), steel stiff shaft Apex 4, 33,5 degrees Club 2: Apex Blade (1999), steel x stiff shaft Spalding Apex 5, 32,5 degrees Club 3: Apex 50th (2003), steel Rifle Flighted 6.0 shaft, 32,5 degrees (no steps, flighted) Club 4: Apex ftx (2006), steel regular shaft Apex 3, 30 degrees Club 5: Apex 50th (2003), steel...
The gist of what I read was, that they were not liked, because the felt a little harder compared to the 88 and 99 or 2003 model. Design-wise they look like a copy of copy of a nice piece. Hit the 2003 model today (Apex 50) and it felt sure nice. Nicer than my FTX today...   Over at golfwrx are a few reviews of the 2006 blade.
Photo is missing...   I had a look at the steps of my clubs - they differ in height. That design would allow to move the kick-point higher or lower. Higher kick-point results in a higher ball trajectory. So, one has to figure who made the shafts in order to compare them (Royal Precision was a long running OEM fitter).   Somewhere I read that Hogan Apex shafts from 1988 and earlier were known to have a lower kick-point than comparable shafts.
Ah, another Hogan fan. Great!   The guy who sold the 99s to me said, that the Apex 5 shaft does play more like a stiff shaft (or even less). Comparing the TrackMan numbers you see that the Apex 5 hit balls have the highest trajectory (see height and landing angle).   And yes to the club heads. I always thought that the FTX were more for mid to low handicappers should fly a little higher, but they do not. Next time I take the 7i FTX with 34 degrees of...
Hmm, ever thought about using foam balls? At least when hitting the driver with full force into a net?   But don't try these whiffer balls...
Priceless...   Could one please give Stretch some monkey award quick  @( 'o' )@