or Connect

Posts by Hollister

Yep, got one. Thought the same about its use for the last drives - way better than packing up. They feel more like range rockets or 2-piece distance balls. Hope I do not have to use it that often in the next weeks.
 Yep - last years TaylorMade drivers had crazy high spin numbers compared to my 2007 TaylorMade. But last year we hit it like always, according to TM. And adjustability was more for TM and the resellers having to produce only one club type instead of many. This year we are hitting up. Yikes, 2+ degrees more loft. I would be happy if the free press (=journalists) would look behind the curtain and question, or even truly test, the new gear. But hey, it is a marketing...
Still playing the ole clubs from 10years ago. The still refuse to wear out!   Still hit the 2007 driver bad enough - does hitting a 2014 stick really make the ball go further/straighter and my swing flaws go away?    Reading the list every Spring, I get the testing-bug. Last year I surrounded myself with all the TaylorMake drivers the range had to offer. My 2007 driver still performed OK. It already has four weights to move around - after testing each Spring I put them...
In case it helps anyone - here is a list of MPF shaft replacement codes http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/BenHogan.pdf
After a good nights sleep and looking-up the Rifle Flighted 6.0 shaft-flex, which equals a stiff or even stiff+, I do not really understand the correlation of shaft flex and performance of my particular sticks anymore. A too stiff shaft should let me leave ball short (or right?) when not having the appropriate swing speed. A too weak shaft should lead to ballooning balls, as I saw with my regular graphite shafts. Or lead to over-draws? Clueless. Maybe I should go and get...
Took those four to the range today and see, how the rifle flighted shaft would compare to the regular (clubs 1+2)   Club 1: Apex 50th (2003), steel Rifle Flighted 6.0 shaft, 32,5 degrees (27 balls) Club 2: Apex 50th (2003), steel regular shaft Apex 3, 32,5 degrees (14 balls) Club 3: Apex Redline (1988), steel stiff shaft Apex 4, 33,5 degrees (17 balls) Club 4: Apex ftx (2006), steel regular shaft Apex 3, 30 degrees (20 balls)   As if I was waiting for it - 2 degrees...
I uploaded a picture of the shafts in the other thread.   Oh, there are a couple of nice 03s and 99 on ebay right now. Pitty I am not in the US and would have to shell out another 100+ for tax and shipping.   The 99 shaft has a Spalding on the red shaft band. The guy that sold me the Apex 5 shafted 99 said that it plays more like a stiff. And I think it does. Whereas the Apex 3 ftx iron feels more like a xx-stiff, because the ball flight is very low (and the shaft...
Here is a photo of the clubs in the same order I hit them at the range with the TrackMan Range. The golf ball marks the last shaft step.   Club 1: Apex Redline (1988), steel stiff shaft Apex 4, 33,5 degrees Club 2: Apex Blade (1999), steel x stiff shaft Spalding Apex 5, 32,5 degrees Club 3: Apex 50th (2003), steel Rifle Flighted 6.0 shaft, 32,5 degrees (no steps, flighted) Club 4: Apex ftx (2006), steel regular shaft Apex 3, 30 degrees Club 5: Apex 50th (2003), steel...
The gist of what I read was, that they were not liked, because the felt a little harder compared to the 88 and 99 or 2003 model. Design-wise they look like a copy of copy of a nice piece. Hit the 2003 model today (Apex 50) and it felt sure nice. Nicer than my FTX today...   Over at golfwrx are a few reviews of the 2006 blade.
Photo is missing...   I had a look at the steps of my clubs - they differ in height. That design would allow to move the kick-point higher or lower. Higher kick-point results in a higher ball trajectory. So, one has to figure who made the shafts in order to compare them (Royal Precision was a long running OEM fitter).   Somewhere I read that Hogan Apex shafts from 1988 and earlier were known to have a lower kick-point than comparable shafts.