or Connect

Posts by Hollister

Well, it is all in the statistics. Just think about your last round and work your way back from the flag to the tee.   Pros make around 35% puts when just 10-15 feet away from the flag, at 20-25 feet it is down to around 15%. How good can your shot into the green be, if you are in the bunker, rough or another bad lie?   Do you have to hit a 6i+ into the green? Well, just assume we are 150-175 yards away from the green. The best pro gets it to 22 feet average...
Thanks for adding up to the good ole mantra: Stay out of trouble.   Pro stats clear show that rough or other bad lies gives them a harder chance to score. A course in perfect shape does not help that much when they are too far off the flag.   Re. drives, that what I figured out long - get that driver going. Did not make it to work reliable - 3W to 210 in the fairway and I was happy, 240 in the rough or OB was no good.   In the end, ball striking is what...
Ah, no worries.   I deleted a sentence like "as a higher handicapper (me), you have to choose the right tees to have a chance to play well". My official handicap is 28, I play between 18 and 28 - no time and no lust for tourneys.   I am over in Europe and played a PGA tour prepared course once. I never ever had so much roll. And I never had to hit it three times out of the rough to get closer to the 30 feet away flag. Remember Phils "wrist-gate". Or those carpet...
I did the math today - PGA tour green approach stats     If the rough is manageable, you do not have to worry too much about off-fairway hits. Pro tournament roughs really suck - last time I tried them. Stats show that, too.   Distance to the flag on the green is a really important: the further away, the lower the chance to hole out. Iron accuracy should have a big influence on the putting stats. The tables show that, too.   Again, the old mantra: Hit long,...
It is hard to give advice without knowing where you loose power.    This could be a starting point for you to read up: Maintaining the flying wedge
  Thanks! I am practicing with Apex 3 shafts (Apex ftx and 2003) and an Apex 4 shaft (1988) - and always with the 6i. The Apex 3 2003 ball flight is way too high, compared to the other clubs. The Apex 4 with a 2* lower lofted 6i has the same or slightly more distance than the Apex 3 ftx 6i. That was the reason for this post...   Re 3. Oh yes, repeated a shank prone move and stopped trying after the fifth to protect my hands from stupid ideas.   Re 4. Maybe. I was amazed...
Hi Hogan-fans,   how does an Apex 5 x stiff shaft from 1998 (on Apex 1999) play compared to up-to-date stiff shafts? Should be a shaft Spalding made or bought...   I currently practice with Apex 4 shafts on clubs from 1988 and my 6i travels the same distance than the stronger lofted 2006 Apex 3 6i.   Is x stiff from 1998 todays stiff? Like the old 7i loft is todays 8i loft?    And yes, I do not know my swing speed...
Arrrrgh - wrong subject for this forum - please ignore the subject. Sorry...   Anyways, I practice with regular steel and stiff steel shafts. I get more distance with a stiff shaft. I am about to try a x stiff shaft from 1998.     What would typically happen when hitting a stiffer shaft with a too low swing speed?   When hitting my regular graphite shafts, my shots get way too much height. A pro seeing my shots instantly came over to talk about new clubs,...
Yes VMAN, I saw the pictures of your green. SWG do an amazing job. I have got their turf, too.   Are you still satisfied with the slopes of your green? Would you do something different?   Since my green will be kind of longish, it will be limited slope-wise. I am thinking to have one long side flat for straight, long putts - and one end of the other side sloping down at 1 to 2 %. I don't think I will be able to get 3 %.
Your picts are priceless - I saw them a while ago.   Due to injury I pushed digging to this fall. Sad, I know.   Been thinking about a possible 6 hole course the last months. Two straight par 3s, two par five round-the-house-dog-leg hole (could be a par 6 hole, too) and two par four. Aha, gotta have something to do in the Winter... Well, my green will be behind the house. "Better put a bush there, it will hide your playground nicely." Yep, dear, whatever you...