or Connect

Posts by olkev

PGA-sponsored market research project and was discussed at a US Golf Manufacturers Council meeting on August 10, 2011. “There are about 24M golfers in the US.  The American market lost 4.5 million golfers” - American Golf Growth: Just the Facts, Jack "From the mid 1980s to the turn of the century, the number of golfers grew by about 50 percent -- from 20 million to 30 million golfers," the National Golf Foundation said in a report entitled Golf Participation in America,...
It is hard to ignore that Nicklaus was in contention to come in 2nd or 3rd 22 times vs. 10 in the 70 major championship starts. The jury is still out but, as each year goes by it is just that much harder for Tiger. If all you want to look at is first place then Tiger is close but he still hasn't made it. If you want to look at the totality of the record as illustrated here, Tiger has a ways to go.
THIS
I'll just leave this here . . .   In the 1998 Masters the defending champion was one Tiger Woods who at the age of 21 had set a tournament record the year before with a score of 270 and won his first major. In one of the most remarkable performances of his career, Jack Nicklaus tied for 6th place in the tournament at the age of 58, 4 shots behind the winner, Mark O'Meara. Nicklaus' five-under par 283 is the lowest 72-hole score by a player over 50 in the Masters....
How do you think all of this would play out if Cliff Roberts were still alive and Chairman?
That is true. The problem lies in the fact that everybody wants to play the "fantasy tournament" in their minds and wonders what it would be like for the two of them in their prime to go head to head. The argument being made is that if you were to take Nicklaus in his prime, give him today's equipment, and put him up against Tiger today, Nicklaus would beat him. It's that simple; and he probably would, IMHO. So many on this thread have put Tiger on this pedestal, by...
You are right about the irons. Tiger's musclebacks very much resemble the MacGregor Limited Editions & Muirfield 20ths that Nicklaus played with in the 80's. Prior to that he played the 1966-67 VIP's which was a muscleback as well. As far as persimmon is concerned, you have to remember that the standard length of a persimmon driver then was 43". That is two inches shorter than today's standard and they were steel shafted with a shaft weight around 120gms. That means a...
Do not confuse the game of the man you see today with the golfer that once was! Tiger vs. Jack: Players talk Jack http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-v...26000&rsec=211
I have zero experience with tipping shafts and predicting performance outcomes. But I need to know . . . For a Fujikura 652 Speeder Tour Spec stiff shaft, how much of a difference does a 1/2" tipping make in the performance characteristics of the shaft for a driver? THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Too soon to say . . . All of the books on it haven't been written yet but, here's the latest offering "Unplayable: An Inside Account of Tiger's Most Tumultuous Season." Amazon has it. Two people have already reviewed it. I think I will wait for the movie version . . .